Calgary at BC Nov 12 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

When the schedule is released over the winter we look at these late season home game against divisional rivals and anticipate a potential exciting end to the season.
Instead zero buzz for this game as that’s what losing 6 straight does, even though they are still mathematically alive for a playoff spot.

Lions going basically with same line-up as last week except Cooper-Edwards is out and Hardin shifts to safety. Hardin has started all 3 positions in the secondary this season. Taking his spot at field side corner is national Hakeem Johnson.

Nick Vogel will handle the place kicking duties again after his awful debut that included a pair of missed converts.

Stamps come to town with a line up better than the team that routed BC 3 weeks ago with the return of receiver Reggie Begelton and corner Tre Roberson from the NFL.

Here’s hoping the Lions can at least be competitive given their poor play at home this season.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

After 6 straight losses, the Lions face a do-or-die game Friday to keep their playoff hopes alive. A victory over Calgary at B.C. Place would give the Lions the tiebreaker between the two clubs and a chance to pull into a tie with a victory next week over Edmonton. The Stamps would still have a chance to break the tie in the final game of the CFL regular season next Saturday at home against first-place Winnipeg.

Injuries have forced more changes in the B.C. secondary this week. Jalon Edwards-Cooper, who looked good last week in the season-long revolving door at safety, is out with a foot injury. KiAnte Hardin slides into the safety spot, with Hakeem Johnson returning to the starting lineup at field corner. T.J. Lee, who has battled injuries all year and sat out two practices this week with a hamstring injury, remains in the starting lineup at boundary halfback. Alex Bazzie gets his second straight start at rush end for the injured J.R. Tavai (calf).

The B.C. starting offence is unchanged although Bryan Burnham was limited in practice all week with a hand injury. Lucky Whitehead, in his third game back from hand surgery, is listed as kick and punt returner. Rookie returner Quadree Henderson, who got his first action last week, returns to the practice roster. Rookie kicker Nick Vogel, who was activated last week despite not practising with the team, going 2 for 2 on FGs and 0 for 2 on extra points, gets his second straight chance to show what he can do. Jimmy Camacho remains on the practice roster.

The Stampeders come into the game healthy, and have activated former all-star Reggie Begelton at boundary WR. Malik Henry also returns from injury.

Lions' roster and depth chart
David
Team Captain

Basically, we field the same starting line-up that lost to the Ti-Cats with the exception of no Jalon Edwards-Cooper (foot) at safety and no Quadree Henderson returning punts and kicks (Lucky does double-duty at WR and K/P returner). Expect the Stamps to go hard after H. Johnson on the field side. I would feel better if Cioffi was on the roster as he is an aggressive tackler (not sure why he hasn't been activated at safety).

This game is notable for the debut of Josh Woods, backing up Bo at weakside linebacker. I expect to see a lot of him on special teams. He is a 6'2," 234lb UCLA alum who was signed last month.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:20 am
Basically, we field the same starting line-up that lost to the Ti-Cats with the exception of no Jalon Edwards-Cooper (foot) at safety and no Quadree Henderson returning punts and kicks (Lucky does double-duty at WR and K/P returner). Expect the Stamps to go hard after H. Johnson on the field side. I would feel better if Cioffi was on the roster as he is an aggressive tackler (not sure why he hasn't been activated at safety).

I thought safety would be the best position for Cioffi. It requires a similar skillset to SAM, where he has played most of his career, but with less man coverage responsibilities. Cioffi was listed as backup safety for several games this year but hasn’t started at the position. His tackling ability was a big asset on special teams.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:20 am

This game is notable for the debut of Josh Woods, backing up Bo at weakside linebacker. I expect to see a lot of him on special teams. He is a 6'2," 234lb UCLA alum who was signed last month.

I will be holding my breath with Johnson back on the corner. Only a couple of over throws by Bethel-Thompson prevented long TDs against him. I’m sure Dickenson will take notice.

Hopefully Woods will provide a much needed spark on kick coverage. Amazing how many back-ups that should be proving their value for playing time are completely invisible. Among them Guzylak-Messam, a 2019 starter, who seems to be even behind Konar and rookie Hladik on the depth chart and has 2 tackles this season.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

It’s also remarkable the length they go not to put Anthony Thompson back at safety again, even with injuries like Edwards Cooper this week.
Was demoted after the Winnipeg loss at home and it’s been a revolving door of Americans there since with Johnson on the corner now the #1 option if they need to go with a national.
maxlion
Legend

BC has their backs against the wall, playing hurt against a team that is at the top of their game. Easy to count them out. If there is a time for intensity, this is it. How they come out will be telling. It seems that the past few years, at times like this they have tended to lay an egg. Win or lose, hopefully tomorrow will be different.

Hakeem Johnson will need to play the best game of his career. In a close game, I don't like the Vogel/Parades matchup. We know that Reilly, Burnham, Whitehead, TJ Lee will show up. Unfortunately, the home crowd probably won't be a factor.

For Calgary, sometimes adding new players can throw off the dynamics and momentum a bit. But that is probably wishful thinking.
David
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:36 pm
BC has their backs against the wall, playing hurt against a team that is at the top of their game. Easy to count them out. If there is a time for intensity, this is it. How they come out will be telling. It seems that the past few years, at times like this they have tended to lay an egg. Win or lose, hopefully tomorrow will be different.
I'd be quite confident in betting that over the past 10 years, we are at or near the bottom in "upset victories." That is, winning games in which we are decided underdogs. We tend to win games we should (read: Ottawa and most Eastern teams not named Hamilton) and lose games in which we have been counted out. In short, we have become mind-numbingly predictable.

I'd love to be proven wrong tomorrow but I think it's easier for bad teams that are well-coached to pull upsets than it is for teams that have a decent amount of talent that is poorly coached (basically, the Lions).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Field goal by Vogel good
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

After last game, I didn't think he'd be good to go. Didn't he get hurt?

Too bad they didn't get the TD though.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Back to the 3 man rush!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

That was a short live leaď
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Knife meet butter.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Shocker! Stamps drive length of field for TD with Mitchell having enough time to enjoy dinner if he wanted. Horrific defensive play calling
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Man, that was way too easy.