How to fix this mess?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Personnel-wise, three contracts need to be dealt with going into next season because the value just isn't there.

Reilly ($725, 000) - although one could argue that he should earn this in danger pay alone playing behind that porous O-line, we're clearly not getting value from him. Again, I am fine with a Reilly-Rourke combo in 2022, but not at this price. If need be, Trevor Harris will likely be a FA as he's a rental right now in Montreal.

Durant ($175,000) - talented for sure, but drops too many balls and is too often injured to be the 2nd highest-paid receiver in the league

Sukh Chungh ($165, 000) - just isn't the same player he was in Winnipeg. Nowhere close. I am fine with moving on from this contract.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Agree on all accounts David.
Love Reilly as a person but he is definitely diminishing returns at this stage of his career and of course his salary.
I don’t even know how great of a leader he is. I miss those post game lockerroom game ball ceremonies where we heard from the likes Geroy, Travis, Solly and Lumbala.

Whatever Reilly and the other vets are saying now it’s clearly falling on deaf ears. OC is also Reilly’s guy.

Extremely hard to believe Chungh and Durant’s pre-pandemic salaries were $250,000 and $205,000 respectively. Huge overestimates by Hervey on both of them and still now at a reduced cost.
Wonder what it did in the lockerroom giving Durant more than a proven Burnham based solely on potential and his birth certificate?

Would be more than happy making Cottoy their featured national receiver and take Chungh’s salary to free agency.
OV - 54:40
Champion

Yep.

Reilly is a smart, tough vet QB; but his arm is faded IMO and he is no longer much of a run threat that was a nice part of his game. Way over-paid. Rourke is a possible star future instead.

Chungh has been a bust as a Lion; can find better interior O-Linemen every CFL draft IMO; way over-paid.

Duarant has plenty of talent but is not producing and drops too many; again - way over-paid (but I'd keep him at a big pay haircut)

Most problematic of all is the hire of a same old CFL thinker like Campbell as HC; hopefully the new owner shows some football smarts and cleans house with the football decision making part of this team - all new coaching staff and find a sharp GM

Some very good building blocks to retain: players like Rourke, Burnham, Cottoy (i was wrong about him Hambone - guy is a very good receiver talent), Whitehead on offence; Lokombo, Lee, Williams for sure on D; Flintoft has a booming punting leg.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I don't think the mess can be corrected this season. In the offseason, they need to fire Campbell. This team looks like the team he had in Ottawa in his final year. He build the team and coaching staff and clearly not good enough. How can you get blown out by Calgary and the next game show no improvement at all and look even worse. It is an embarrassment and it is all on Campbell. I don't see Neil M. being let go after just 1 year, but you never know.

As for the players they need to walk away from Reilly's 3rd year and salary. That money can be better spend. They need a younger, faster QB with some experience. Also cut tied with Thompson, Durant and Chungh. They also need more experience in that DL. The OC needs to be fired and also need new coaching staff.

As for this year, I don't have any answers how they can improve with NFL cuts already come and gone. I just hope they play a competitive game against the Argos, but expect another loss.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Agree with others on Reilly, Chungh and Durant.
Reg18
Starter

I mostly agree but I would keep Durant with a pay cut he has too many.targetd at his feet. Reilly and chungh definitely gone as well.and a.nrw oc.and Campbell if he doesn't act soon. Time to hire a gm and a.fefensive coordinator. It's time for a total rebuild. Campbell has lostthe room.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Criticism of Hugh Campbell, Jordan Maksymic, Michael Reilly, Lemar Durant and Sukh Chungh is all valid. Their futures would best be addressed after the season. There is a more immediate fix that can still save this season though. Some perspective is needed.

The Lions have been lifeless and have lacked playmakers in their 4-game losing streak but the team was 4-2 with an explosive offence and opportunistic defence before blowing the lead against Saskatchewan and then being blown out by Winnipeg (twice) and Calgary.

The biggest factor in the team's change of fortunes was the loss of Lucky Whitehead with a broken hand early in the first Winnpeg game. Whitehead's impact on the offence and the team's psyche can’t be overstated. In 7 games with Whitehead healthy, B.C. averaged 345 yards of net offence and a league-leading 26 points per game. In 3 blowout losses without him, the Lions averaged 263 yards and 6 points per game.

Whitehead’s broken hand has allowed defences to tighten up and give more attention to the Lions’ other playmakers. Whitehead, Bryan Burnham and Jevon Cottoy account for 13 of the Lions’ 15 explosive passing plays of 30 yards and all of the team’s 40-yard passing plays. They also account for 699 of the Lions’ 1083 yards after the catch and 9 of the team’s 12 TD passes. In 3 games with Whitehead injured, the Lions have managed only 2 big passing plays by Burnham and no TD passes.

On defence, the Lions’ young secondary thrived on interceptions in the first half of the season. The Lions were plus-12 in turnover margin through 7 games and minus-3 in their last 3 games.

Assuming Whitehead returns to the lineup soon, the Lions can turn the season around. I would still give Nathan Rourke more reps as a change of pace QB to keep defences off balance with his strong arm and running ability but the Lions have all the necessary pieces to compete for a playoff spot. That should be the focus for the remaining four games. The bigger questions can be addressed in the offseason.
David
Team Captain

I hear you B.C. FAN. I get Lucky's impact. But no team should be so reliant on one player that you take him out of the lineup and it's blow-out city. More alarming is the lack of a pulse with this team. That's on the head coach.

I pin many of the fundamental problems on Maksymic. No adjustments or innovation around the talent we have. With so many two-and-outs on offense, the defense is exhausted (lack of pass rush is killing the club too).

And to add insult to injury, I don't believe we're going to see Nathan Rourke for a while. Just my gut assessment seeing him come off the field and stand on the sidelines. Bad throwing shoulder.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Ok, let's calm down, please.

Moving on from Durant and Chung are fine, as the value isn't there.

The fundamental strategy on the offense needs to change to account for the limitations of the personnel. You do not have the personnel to run this scheme, but you have good enough personnel to run a Trestman style scheme, and that includes Reilly who can run it and run it well if he's willing to adapt.

I neither like Maksymic's scheme nor his in game management. He's a battleship player in a way even Chap wasn't and that's not going to cut it here, and if Campbell isn't versatile enough to cut bait on both him and the trebuchet philosophy then this team is going to continue to struggle offensively.

Having said that, there are a few things to bear in mind.

The last time this league fielded a season, we were the single worst team in it. Rome wasn't rebuilt in a day, and relative to where the franchise was, overall, the defense and special teams have come a long way.

Along the same lines, in terms of player personnel, there was a bit of a mess to clean up and the current co-GMs have come pretty far in doing that clean up, overall.

When the offense isn't a total trash fire, both the secondary and the defensive line have been pretty good. This is a competitive defense when the offense isn't crapping the bed.
This team looks like the team he had in Ottawa in his final year.
He was not the GM of that team and I'd encourage you to take a look at what the recently deposed brain trust has done to that team since then. That's a team with some pretty smart position coaching and coordinating and it is a considerably brighter tire fire than we are.

Coaches at every level adapt or perish. We're going to find out if Campbell is able to adapt. As for terminating him after less than a season, I highly doubt ownership is going to eat a second consecutive one and done contract, barring some sort of confrontation or stubbornness as it relates to Maksymic.
BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:55 pm
And to add insult to injury, I don't believe we're going to see Nathan Rourke for a while. Just my gut assessment seeing him come off the field and stand on the sidelines. Bad throwing shoulder.

This begs the question (with the report that Reilly is suffering from bruised ribs) who will be the 2 QBs dressing vs TOR?
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Another guy who needs to go is Chris Rainey. He is too old now and has lost a step. They need a younger and faster kick returner.
Reg18
Starter

Hire johnhuffagel. He's probly ookingtogo toteener pastures
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hufnagel isn’t going anywhere. He’s 70 years old and gets to sit with his wife the booth upstairs and admire the dynasty he built.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Cromartie, it is worth mentioning it was David Braley who ate the contract of Claybrooks, not the new owner. I agree not ideal to fire another coach after 1 season, but tell me if the Lions not only lose last 4 games, but get blown out in all four what do you do? Three ulgy games in a row is too much. Next up is Toronto with Chris Jones, a defensive guru licking his chops. I can't see the offence getting a lot of points against the Argos. Also not sure if game is in Toronto or BC. Toronto coming off a loss and will be motivated. If we suffer a 4th straight blowout loss then what?

BC Fan admire your optimism, but I cannot see Lions turning it around and making the playoffs. They have lost their confidence and losses can snowball. I expect them to lose Saturday. Just hope they show more life and make it a competitive game.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I don't really care if they make the playoffs this year. It would just be a 1 game show up and probably get wasted by the opposition whomever it is. This team isn't playoff calibre and it certainly isn't Grey Cup calibre so why draw it out? On another note, Desjardin was let go as the RedBlacks GM today. Since there has been some talk about who might be a GM candidate, is there any interest from the Lions for him. Ottawa has gone from rags to riches to rags under his stewardship but with a different owner with deep pockets, could that be a different tale? Don't know. Opinions?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.