Lions at Bombers Oct. 23, 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

Luck1sOnOurSid3 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:39 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:33 pm
I have been trying to brainstorm who would Doman go to if he wanted advice on what to do with the football operations?

Wally? He has been out of the loop for a while and thought Hervey was the answer 3 years ago. No Bob Ackles to turn to sadly.
Chris Jones wasn’t a bad GM
That dude shouldn't get within 2000 miles of this club. No thanks.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:04 am
:surrender: I long for the old days of Chap Ball. :puke:
Would you prefer an intermediate passing game with a mediocre zone running scheme without the ability to adjust? Or a deep passing game with a heads up running scheme without the ability to adjust?

Both will get your QB killed, but the former has the added bonus of taking years off of your receivers career due to concussions.

None of the above for me, please.

You're going to have to change this scheme when you move from Riley to Rourke anyway. Riley has something of a better deep ball than Rourke does.

I get why a defensive oriented head coach would prefer this offensive scheme; because DCs fear getting beat by the running game and the deep ball. And this type of offense is ideally suited for Henry Burris.

The problem is, Henry Burris is retired, and Riley and Rourke aren't that type of QB. Also, Whitehead is the only receiver on the roster capable of taking the top off a defense and he's on the 6 game IR.

The time to fix this was half a season ago. The second best time to fix this is now. And if 45-0 doesn't convince someone to fix this soon, heads should roll.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

If Lions don't have a much better effort against the Argos then that will be very telling.
OV - 54:40
Champion

The notion that you need a 4.3 or 4.4 burner receiver (like Whitehead) to complete deep passes is false IMO; Burnahm can get deep, so can Durant, so can Johnson. Run a smart route that has been set-up by other diverse plays to set-up the DBs and you don't require outright blazing speed (which Merv Fernandez for example did not necessarily have - not like he was a slow receiver though)

What you do need is the QB having at least a bit of time to make the read and throw long; and this can be set-up by having a diverse offence with plenty of good ground game to keep the D guessing and not just teeing off in pass rush. A good pass pro O-Line of course helps too. ALL do-able if you make the effort and have solid players on offence.
David
Team Captain

A good O-co-ordinator could mask our offensive line deficiencies with some smart, efficient play design. Instead, we continually go to the slow-developing deeper routes. I do like the adjustments made to our ground game in Winnipeg but Maksymic abandoned it way too quickly IMO.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar