Blue Bombers at Lions Oct. 1, 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Disturbing number of injuries heading into Friday's game with the Bombers (I have edited the injury report to just focus on Day 2 of practice - Tuesday). I would not read too much into the status today but there is an alarming number of groins and hamstrings that have prevented players (e.g. KiAnte Hardin, Marcus Sayles) from practicing.

Player Name Position Injury TUES
Durant, Lemar WR Groin LIMITED
Edwards-Cooper, Jalon DB Groin LIMITED
Guzylak- Messam, Isaiah LB Hamstring LIMITED
Hardin, KiAnte DB Hamstring DNP
Harry, Jamie DB Achillies LIMITED
Hatcher, Keon WR Hamstring LIMITED
Rainey, Chris RB Hamstring DNP
Reilly, Michael QB Right Elbow LIMITED
Sayles, Marcus DB Calf DNP
Tavai, JR DL Hamstring LIMITED

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There are injury concerns on both teams after the final practice of the week Wednesday.

For the Lions, Marcus Sayles did not practise all week. Jevon Cottoy sat out Wednesday due to a glute injury. DB KiAnte Hardin returned to practice in a limited capacity.

The Bombers have a long list of walking wounded, including RB Andrew Harris and DEs Willie Jefferson and Jackson Jeffcoat.

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/09/27/bombers-l ... y-sept-27/
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Speaking of injuries and injured lists, here's an interesting set of calculations -- a team by team overview of the 2021 season so far, by John Hodge (3DownN). Our Lions seem luckiest in comparison, although we've surely had our own significant losses in manpower. https://3downnation.com/2021/09/29/at-m ... ured-team/ btw, I've come to not worry too too much when the designation on the team's injury list for a given player is "limited" re practices. It seems those players generally end up playing, even if not to their full capabilities (which of course can be a significant disadvantage). I'm thinking if Sayles can't play, Cioffi will be raring to give it a good go after a few games on special teams duty or scratched.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have released their depth chart for Friday with two changes to the starting lineup on defence and none on offence.

Marcus Sayles moves to the 1-game injured list and is replaced at nickelback by Anthony Cioffi. J.R. Tavai returns from the injured list to start at defensive end ahead of Dana Levine Jr. KiAnte Hardin and Jalon Edwards-Cooper remain in the starting secondary despite being limited in practice this week.

Jevon Cottoy and Keon Hatcher remain as starting receivers despite being limited in practice, while Lemar Durant is again listed as a backup and is questionable. Rookie WR Marcus Davis from UBC is activated from the practice roster as a backup.

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/w ... s.-WPG.pdf
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Further updates to the Lions game day roster with Hardin now dropped in favour of Bejour Wilson. We will be in tough with 2 starters out of the secondary. Thankfully the Elks have already loss.
Full changes from last week:

ON: WR Marcus Davis (N), DE JR Tavai, (A), DB Bejour Wilson (A)

OFF: DL Alfred Green (N), DB Marcus Sayles (A), DB KiAnte Hardin (A).]
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Yes, and I see that the brand new depth chart you refer to sees Edwards-Cooper sliding over to the HB position that Hardin played, and Bejour Wilson is at CB (taking the usual position that Edwards-Cooper has held this season). Interesting arrangement. Otherwise--I'm looking forward to seeing Cioffi flying around, though too bad for Sayles being unable to play against his former team.
Reg18
Starter

With both teams playing with a wounded squad it should be interesting to see how the lions respond to the sask game. Ifbthe bombers were ab!e to play their defensive ends i would worry for Reillys health. Its about time to look at changingn ournoffensive stragy and preserve Reillys health. A!ways keeping the ball in hopes of being able to throw deep js nt worming as well as it could if we would have some variety. Like short and medium throws that see a quicker release I cringe everytime Reilly gets pressured in the pocket and surrounded by tacklers. Just looking to be binjured.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

lions have the number one passing offense. Must be doing something right
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

KnowItAll wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:27 pm
And zero running game. Lions, if they make the playoffs, won't be successful without a strong running game.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

KnowItAll wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:27 pm
Being dead last in the CFL for rushing attempts might be a factor. Question is are they leading in passing because they're doing something right there or because they can't generate anything on the ground forcing them to go almost exclusively in the air.

Maybe it's not surprising that BC is 9th in rushing attempts and 1st in passing while Calgary is 8th in rushing attempts and 2nd in passing.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
tedbear
Starter

Having a balanced attack is great, but sometimes that might not be possible. I am sure the lions are concerned about the run game and are trying to fix it.

Most of the lions drives are stalled either by penalties or by getting stuffed on the run for a loss. You cant keep running when you are getting stuffed all the time. Just doesn't work!

If its scheme hopefully they can fix it, my football knowledge is not good enough to figure that out. But I do know if you DO NOT have the right personnel to run you have to do what works.

We have the number one quarterback in the league who is getting paid a lot of money. Need to let your best players do what they do best and if that's throwing the ball most of the time so be it.

To those of you who are worried about winning in the playoffs without a running game, I say to you if we continue to force the run we might not make the playoffs.

I agree with you all and would rather have a balanced attack but you have to play with the tools you have. (example: If you QB is not very good you better have a great running game)

So Hopefully we get the running game going but not at the expense of losing games.

In closing if we do make the playoffs more than likely we will open in Saskatchewan. Its pretty hard to beat a team 3 times in a season, In a cold weather playoff game I would rather have the experienced Reilly over Fajardo. Our goal should be to finish in the top 3 anyway we can and lets see how the chips fall in a one game winner take all.
Dusty
Champion

I would like to see more of the intermediate pass plays where the receiver can catch the ball on the run. It doesn't matter if it is a post pattern or a crossing pattern. That way we use the speed of the receivers which is top-rate.

There have been many long passes where our receiver gets a step or two on the opposing DB and then has to slow up because Reilly's long throw turns into a jump ball. A 20 yard throw is at speed, but a 40 yard throw from Reilly has to have so much air, it can give time for the DB's to recover.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Perhaps the Lions could try, oh I don't know, NOT running right up the gut for 1 yard on first down? Perhaps a sweep or a pitch or 2? A screen pass?
David
Team Captain

I think we're going to see a lot of heavy pressure from the Bomber D to try and disrupt the longer developing (deep) pass plays, so I do hope that we will see a heavy dose of quick hitters and (especially) screen passes to keep that pass rush honest. Butler has shown pretty good hands so far. We'll see.

I really do hope we'll see some new blocking schemes. What we've done thus far just hasn't worked. Have Butler, Cooper, and Rainey all been the problem? I don't think so.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

Dusty wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:30 am
There have been many long passes where our receiver gets a step or two on the opposing DB and then has to slow up because Reilly's long throw turns into a jump ball. A 20 yard throw is at speed, but a 40 yard throw from Reilly has to have so much air, it can give time for the DB's to recover.
Agreed--that what was stood out the most vs. the Riders higher quality DB's last week (as opposed to a lesser club like OTT).

You wonder if having the elbow frozen every week to function may have a cumulative effect. The arm doesn't look to be getting stronger as the season continues.