Lions release Takeru Yamasaki

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions on Sunday announced the release of kicker Takeru Yamasaki and the return of punter Jake Ford to the U.S. to sort out some immigration issues.

https://3downnation.com/2021/08/15/b-c- ... -yamasaki/
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:59 pm
The Lions on Sunday announced the release of kicker Takeru Yamasaki and the return of punter Jake Ford to the U.S. to sort out some immigration issues.

So tag Flintoft is it for everything and Gustav is automatically activated? Or might there be another cleat to drop?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:09 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:59 pm

So tag Flintoft is it for everything and Gustav is automatically activated? Or might there be another cleat to drop?
The way things have gone this year, anything can happen between now and Thursday night but I liked Flintoft as a kicker, and especially as a punter, in training camp. I also liked Jose Maltos when he gave strong competition to Ty Long in training camp in 2018. Rick Campbell would be well familiar with Maltos, having taken him in the 2019 Global draft.
BC 1988
Legend

It said Ford is "expected to return in the coming days". You're right, when it's an immigration issue, BC should be counting on only having Flintoft available for Thursday.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

How many Global player is supposed on the active roster at any given time ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:31 pm
One. It was supposed to be two but the CBA was amended in June for this season.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Always feel for guy that gets let go, but man if anybody deserved it it was him.

Stage fright.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lion Guy wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:03 pm
Always feel for guy that gets let go, but man if anybody deserved it it was him.

Stage fright.
Yes, he froze when the lights came on. The Lions tried in training camp to simulate pressure game situations by having other players crowd around him and shout. He seemed unflappable, and routinely connected under those conditions from 50 yards or more. I didn’t see him mis-hit a single kick in two weeks. Every stroke was smooth and powerful. He just lost concentration when he needed it most.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:

Stage fright.
So much potential :wink: :wink:
aklawitter
All Star

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:12 pm
Lion Guy wrote:

Stage fright.
Yes, he froze when the lights came on. The Lions tried in training camp to simulate pressure game situations by having other players crowd around him and shout. He seemed unflappable, and routinely connected under those conditions from 50 yards or more. I didn’t see him mis-hit a single kick in two weeks. Every stroke was smooth and powerful. He just lost concentration when he needed it most.
coaches have tried for years but you truly can't replicate gametime
Reg18
Starter

Campbell showed a lot of patience with him but this was inevitable
David
Team Captain

True story. I have this weird facial recognition ability (I spotted actress Emmanuelle Vogier from "Two and a Half Men" fame last night in Yaletown and stopped to chat). Anyway, I saw young Mr. Yamasaki this evening in Granville Island and went up to him as he was walking into a restaurant with his partner. Sadly, he informed me of his release.

I wished him well and tried to cheer him up. I empathized that it must have been hard to arrive in a new country and play in front of so many people with so many expectations on him. He said, "those are just excuses." I wished him well, we shook hands, and that was that.

I did ask if he is being kept on the PR to develop and he said no.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
maxlion
Legend

Any chance that Sergio Castillo return?
Qman
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:31 pm
Only 1 this year. Nice if they can play, mostly just spectators
Qman
Champion

maxlion wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:59 pm
Any chance that Sergio Castillo return?
Something is up, why release Yamasaki with no safety net