CFL return to play 2021 Weeks 1-7

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Calgary wins their first game of the year 28-22 under rookie quarterback Jake Maier. The Alouettes almost won the game on the final play of the game on a reception on the goal line but the ball did not cross the plane.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Argos avenged last week's loss in Winnipeg with a 30-23 win. Bombers narrowed the margin to a converted touchdown with 2 minutes left but couldn't get the ball back as the Argos ran out the clock. Rookie Argo head coach Ryan Dinwiddie made a questionable call at the end which could have cost them the game. He chose to go for a first down on a 3rd and 1. A success field goal at the point would have made it a two score game.
BC 1988
Legend

Seeing Bede kicking for TOR is something. It wasn't that long ago he had a chronic case of the yips (even worse than Yamasaki). 2017-19 seasons with MTL saw him recover enough for TOR to trade for him. His first 2 games this year weren't great, but he was 3/3 on FGs today.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hamilton wins their first with a 27-10 victory over the Alouettes. Vernon Adams continue to struggle
maxlion
Legend

Montreal might be experiencing the limits of Khari Jones' offensive system. In his time in BC, Jonathon Jennings initially looked like a world beater. But once other teams caught on, he was lost. Is the same thing happening to Vernon Adams?

I think Adams could be a legit CFL QB in the Tracy Ham mode, but he needs the right system. I hope it works out as the CFL needs good QBs and I've always liked Adams' perseverance and team first approach.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

When Khari Jones was a QB he was a go deep gunslinger. Adams has that same mentality, imo, but he needs to work on the short passing game and going to 2nd or 3rd reads.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Western Division feels wide open as we head into the 2nd half of the Labour Day Classic games. Riders finish their four game "homestand" 3-1 and could easily have been 2-2 if we had a reliable kicker for the opener.
With the exception of Ottawa would any of the other 7 teams trade their starting QB straight for Cody Fajardo? He is a terrific story after being a 3rd stringer here 3 years ago but has his limitations, especially with an offensive line that has struggled at times. Riders can't stretch the field and teams are figuring it out.

Bombers probably considered the team to beat especially if they sweep the Riders. Solid defence, especially their front 4, but they also squeaked out a win at home against Calgary and were flattered by a 7 point loss a week earlier against the Argos.

Will be interesting to see if there are any line-up changes coming out of the bye week. Re-signing Phillip Norman is intriguing given he only played centre and guard here in 2019. Are they thinking a ratio change at centre if Rhymes can't go and Cottoy takes his starting spot? Especially adding another Canadian receiver in Davis.
Not a fan of three Americans on the offensive line and rather see them develop Godber but maybe they feel Norman would help ignite their running game too.

Get the win over Ottawa then off to Montreal before 3 straight huge home games — Saskatchewan, Winnipeg and Calgary. At the very worse have to be 3-2 over this stretch.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:08 am
Will be interesting to see if there are any line-up changes coming out of the bye week. Re-signing Phillip Norman is intriguing given he only played centre and guard here in 2019. Are they thinking a ratio change at centre if Rhymes can't go and Cottoy takes his starting spot? Especially adding another Canadian receiver in Davis.
Not a fan of three Americans on the offensive line and rather see them develop Godber but maybe they feel Norman would help ignite their running game too.
I think Norman was signed for depth at tackle if Figueroa isn’t ready to come back. Norman took first-team reps at both right and left tackle in training camp when Mathews and Figueroa missed time due to injuries. I was surprised when the Lions kept Kent Perkins as the one backup American lineman on the roster but Perkins’ play at Mathews’ right tackle position has been excellent. Norman likely wouldn’t have accepted a practice roster position but he can collect a game cheque if he plays or is a healthy scratch.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:39 am
SammyGreene wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:08 am
I think Norman was signed for depth at tackle if Figueroa isn’t ready to come back. Norman took first-team reps at both right and left tackle in training camp when Mathews and Figueroa missed time due to injuries. I was surprised when the Lions kept Kent Perkins as the one backup American lineman on the roster but Perkins’ play at Mathews’ right tackle position has been excellent. Norman likely wouldn’t have accepted a practice roster position but he can collect a game cheque if he plays or is a healthy scratch.
Thanks BC FAN. Was not aware he had shifted to tackle at training camp. Has Matthews injury been confirmed as a concussion? Not something that is usually 6-gamed. I didn’t even recall him getting hurt in the opener at least didn’t see Knevel take his place.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

That's 2 straight impressive road performances by the Elks with a little COVID trouble in between. Harris throws for nearly 400 yards and rookie Jake Maier has his 3rd straight 300-plus yard passing game in a losing cause for the Stamps.
An Edmonton sweep of the Battle of Alberta could put Calgary in a heap of trouble with a 14-game schedule. We will see how large the Elks not having to forfeit that game to the Argos will turn out to be.
BC will at least benefit the most with their 3rd game in 7 days being here on Nov. 19 to close out the season.

Elks also announced the signing of linebacker Derrick Moncrief after the game — a 2019 league all-star with the Riders and late cut of the LA Rams.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

As impressive as the win was for the Elks, it does need to be pointed out that the Stamps didn't do themselves many favours during the game. There were a number of dropped passes that would have helped their cause considerably and there certainly was one very weak Roughing the Passer call that they received that directly lead to a drive continuation that turned into 7 points for the Elks. A sweep of Alberta for the Elks could spell trouble for us too. Given the strength of the Bombers and the Riders, if the Elks catch fire, then BC is probably on the outside looking in come the playoffs. I'm just not convinced that they are healthy enough or complete enough to put up a consistent performance. I hope I'm wrong.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:06 pm
As impressive as the win was for the Elks, it does need to be pointed out that the Stamps didn't do themselves many favours during the game. There were a number of dropped passes that would have helped their cause considerably and there certainly was one very weak Roughing the Passer call that they received that directly lead to a drive continuation that turned into 7 points for the Elks. A sweep of Alberta for the Elks could spell trouble for us too. Given the strength of the Bombers and the Riders, if the Elks catch fire, then BC is probably on the outside looking in come the playoffs. I'm just not convinced that they are healthy enough or complete enough to put up a consistent performance. I hope I'm wrong.
I happened to listen to that game on Sirius driving back from the Okanagan and caught the post-game interview with Dickenson who was quite candid.
Among some of his comments:
"We got out-played and out-coached".
"We invested a lot in our back end and they came out and played a passive game". In other words not happy about play of DBs and perhaps game plan of the defensive staff. The Elks who previously hadn't shown much inclination to throw the ball deep completed 3 passes of 40+, 2 of which went for majors.
"Only KJ (Kamar Jordan) and Maier played up to expectations".
"Got a lot of things to clean up".
Overall he sounded far more disappointed than mad about his club's performance. He pondered if they might not be getting total buy-in on what they are trying to do while acknowledging they have a lot of young players (21 on yesterday's roster are 1st year Stamps) who are still trying to find their way. In general he felt a lot of both players and coaches, including himself, are not living up to expectations.

As for penalties both clubs benefitted and were hurt by them. 17 of 20 Stampeder points came almost immediately after an Elks penalty. 14 of those 17 came after an Elks penalty negated a turnover. Calgary's first TD came after a RTP call turned a 3rd down incompletion and turnover on downs into a 1st and 10 at the 13. Calgary's 2nd TD came three plays after an Elks interception was negated by a DPI call that gave them a 1st down at the EE 23. Calgary's final score, a FG, came after a DPI call on a 2nd and 4 incompletion gave Calgary a 1st and 10 at the Elks 10. In fairness on that one if there was no DPI Paredes likely still makes what would have been a 43 yd FG.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't expect the HC to actually call out players or blame anyone but the team as a whole but they did miss on some key plays that would have continued drives. The receiver dropped it kind of variety.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

For both Stamps and Riders it is going to be a tough rematch on the other teams home turf. If they both loose again and if Lions can put together a string of victories against the next few eastern opponents, Lions could end up legit playoff contenders.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bombers leading the Riders 33-9 in the Banjo game late in the game. Quarterback Cody Fajardo sidelined with a possible concussion.