B.C. at Saskatchewan Aug. 6, 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This is not a good way to start the first day of practice for the first game of the season. The Lions declared on their new CFL injury report that QB Michael Reilly has a right elbow injury and took only limited part in practice Monday. He threw for only part of one practice in training camp.

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/08/02/riders-li ... jury-info/
BC 1988
Legend

Does this injury report officially take Reilly out of the lineup for Friday? (Just trying to get a sense of what the point is of issuing the report).

EDIT: I guess this is the inaugural first of many such reports as per this article. It appears the goal is more "transparency" and they are to be filled in every day.
https://3downnation.com/2021/07/16/expe ... 21-season/
So are starting lineups required to be issued the morning of gameday?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

BC 1988 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:43 pm
Does this injury report officially take Reilly out of the lineup for Friday? (Just trying to get a sense of what the point is of issuing the report).
It's all about the single game sports betting. Injury transperancy. Teams have to let the bettors know exactly who is hurting, what is hurting, their level of practice participation is etc so the bettors can make an informed decision when placing their wagers.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The injury reports are a welcome move toward transparency for fans and media, not just bettors. We’ve been told since the start of training camp that Reilly was just on a “pitch count” and was being brought along slowly. It’s been three weeks. If I didn’t hear the same assurances in 2005 with Casey Printers and 2014 with Travis Lulay, I might not be so skeptical.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:22 pm
The injury reports are a welcome move toward transparency for fans and media, not just bettors. We’ve been told since the start of training camp that Reilly was just on a “pitch count” and was being brought along slowly. It’s been three weeks. If I didn’t hear the same assurances in 2005 with Casey Printers and 2014 with Travis Lulay, I might not be so skeptical.
As I mentioned when Arndt was cut I don't think that would have happened if there was any doubt Reilly would not be healthy enough to suit up for Week 1.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:30 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
As I mentioned when Arndt was cut I don't think that would have happened if there was any doubt Reilly would not be healthy enough to suit up for Week 1.
I also thought that letting Arndt go was a positive indicator of Reilly's health. Now with a game only a few days away, I am not so sure. In fact I suspect that if Reilly starts, he won't finish the game or there will be no long passes and little success on O.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What are the penalties if teams are caught cheating ?
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Sure which I wasn't working today.
Attending practice and seeing how many first team reps Reilly is taking would be a telling tale just two days away from travelling to Regina. This is where we are missing the daily beat writers. Hopefully the media is out there today and Reilly's status should be their main focus.
Given how much time he has missed, however, still not 100 percent activity can't be good and you wonder if they are now just writing off the season opener. With just 14 games there is even less time to be cautious.

Wasn't it related to a sore shoulder in Kamloops but now we are hearing it's actually his elbow?
David
Team Captain

Farhan Lalji/TSN had wonderful feature yesterday on 5 emerging CFL stars, of whom Lucky Whitehead was a part. Big things are expected of each this year.

What we're about to see over the coming weeks is the opposite end of this. Players for whom the lost pandemic year was detrimental to their career. Yes, some may simply need to shake off the rust. Others however, (most likely older players) may never get back to form, either they've lost a step, agility isn't quite the same, or they no longer have the same zip on the ball. I am praying Reilly isn't in the latter category. He is 36 after all.

Maybe this is all precautionary and he can bounce back, who knows? I guess we'll know more in the next week or two but he hasn't had a lot of training camp reps with the first team, so even if he plays Friday (a bit cloudy right now), the offense may be a bit out of synch.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
"Shoulder" turning into "elbow" is something--Reilly has had so little actual tossing of the football since camp began. I'm concerned that he is trying to put the Lions coaching staff at ease that it's minor and just needs time. He plays hard, takes punishment, but backups get very little chance to get on the field. It took a broken wrist in 2019 and a knee injury in 2015.
David
Team Captain

Reilly's participation in practice "limited" again. Expects to play on Friday though, per Farhan Lalji.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

This is ridiculous. He "expects to play". They are playing game 1 of the season, not the Grey Cup where you put everything on the line. A "sold out" loud stadium. Reilly will not be facing a Rider D thinking "he's not 100%, go easy on him" . They should be targeting that arm to knock out the starter.

Too much messiah complex for me.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

BC 1988 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:29 pm
This is ridiculous. He "expects to play". They are playing game 1 of the season, not the Grey Cup where you put everything on the line. A "sold out" loud stadium. Reilly will not be facing a Rider D thinking "he's not 100%, go easy on him" . They should be targeting that arm to knock out the starter.

Too much messiah complex for me.
^^^ I agree. A 36y.o. does not recover from injury as quickly as a 26y.o. We the fans are being *poop* again just like the time Lulay couldn't practice at TC but the Lions claimed he would be good to go at the start of the season, but wasn't.
At this point I am speculating so I hope I am wrong; its just that we have seen this movie before.
Reg18
Starter

I don't like this movie its time to move on play the young qbs.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Someone needs to check if Jennings is over the yips yet.