American anthem at CFL games

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Huge Talent
Starter

So I recently sent the league a query about this.
Last edited by Huge Talent on Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The only time I've heard the American anthem this year is at the last home game, which celebrated the CFL's Diversity is Strength campaign, where players honoured their roots. I thought that ceremony was well done and the use of the anthem was appropriate, given that half the players are American.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:40 pm
The only time I've heard the American anthem this year is at the last home game, which celebrated the CFL's Diversity is Strength campaign, where players honoured their roots. I thought that ceremony was well done and the use of the anthem was appropriate, given that half the players are American.
Agreed. Prior to the last game, I believe the the last time theAmerican national anthem was played was when the University of Washington marching band paid us a visit.
Huge Talent
Starter

I should have just messaged here first! I did recall hearing it before, but another season I believe. Ok, that makes sense and is reasonable. Thanks for clarifying. Lol, someone at the league is gonna be scratching their head.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Huge Talent wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:11 pm
Lol, someone at the league is gonna be scratching their head.

Probably the ones that works at the Control Centre
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

When one thinks about it it's probably something the league should do once every season. Why not recognize the contribution the many American players, coaches, executives and of course their families make to the success of the CFL.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:12 pm
When one thinks about it it's probably something the league should do once every season. Why not recognize the contribution the many American players, coaches, executives and of course their families make to the success of the CFL.
do they sing the Canadian anthem at NHL games that do not have a Canadian team playing?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:51 pm
Hambone wrote:
do they sing the Canadian anthem at NHL games that do not have a Canadian team playing?
No they don't.

We should not play the US anthem unless it's an American team playing period.

Secondly why the bleep would we play their anthem and get into protests and kneeling and all that stuff?!!

We should be questioning singing our own anthem at pro sporting events unless it's an international game. We are not at war (other than the US started trade war) so no need to ramp up nationalism.

When you go a conference the anthems aren't played either.

The CFL Diversity initiative is to recognize the origins of all its players not just Americans and Canadians.

Why don't we get the CFL to sing the original lyrics which is what the Star Spangled Banner (a poem ) was sung to:

"To Anacreon in Heaven" A.K.A. The Drinking Song

Lyrics:

To Anacreon in Heaven, where he sat in full glee,
A few sons of harmony sent a petition,
That he their inspirer and patron would be;
When this answer arrived from the jolly old Grecian:
Voice, fiddle, and flute, no longer be mute,
I'll lend you my name and inspire you to boot,
And besides I'll instruct you like me to intwine,
The myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's vine.

--Words by Ralph Tomlinson, music by John Stafford Smith, about 1775

YouTube viewers know that this is the same melody as "The Star-Spangled Banner".

"The words of 'To Anacreon in Heaven,' the song that Francis Scott Key borrowed for the melody of 'The Star-Spangled Banner,' is a sly 1700's paean to drinking and sex. Though understated, the line 'I'll instruct you, like me to entwine; The myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's vine' is unambiguous," he wrote.

The Anacreontic Song
The song became extremely popular in America, where it was used to accompany a number of verses, including the patriotic song called “Adams and Liberty,” before 1814. Key himself used the tune for his 1805 song, “When the Warrior Returns from the Battle Afar.”

http://amhistory.si.edu/starspangledban ... elody.aspx
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

KnowItAll wrote:
Hambone wrote:
When one thinks about it it's probably something the league should do once every season. Why not recognize the contribution the many American players, coaches, executives and of cours their families make to the success of the CFL.course
If they sang the Canadian anthem at US NHL games they'd have to sing the Russian, Swedish, Finnish, Czech, Slovakian, Danish, Swiss, Latvian and several other anthems.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:19 pm
KnowItAll wrote:
Hambone wrote:
When one thinks about it it's probably something the league should do once every season. Why not recognize the contribution the many American players, coaches, executives and of cours their families make to the success of the CFL.course
If they sang the Canadian anthem at US NHL games they'd have to sing the Russian, Swedish, Finnish, Czech, Slovakian, Danish, Swiss, Latvian and several other anthems.
point is, all USA team games should only do USA anthem and all Canadian team games should only do Canadian, any league.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I am glad we don't do provincial anthems because the last thing I would want to hear these days is an Alberta anthem.
Rammer
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:28 pm
I am glad we don't do provincial anthems because the last thing I would want to hear these days is an Alberta anthem.
Is that a BC wine ...
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

I am happy to stand for the Star Spangled Banner at games, but it's a moot point as it is not played at every game.

But I gladly stood last home game in recognition of the hundreds of American players, coaches, and executives (past and present) without whom there wouldn't be a CFL, at least not as we know it. I am not sure why this is an issue.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
QB Club 63
All Star

Like most people, I was surprised to hear the SSB sung before the last game, but I immediately understood the context: the celebration of diversity. And I really appreciated that they didn't feel the need to announce why it would be sung. :good:

Unfortunately, there are many closed-minded people for whom diversity is a four-letter word (cough Trump cough) and I had the misfortune to be sitting behind one at the game. Here's a direct quote of what he said when he turned to his neighbour as they sat down after the anthems, "Well, that was a disgrace. Why'd they sing the bloody American anthem? Totally disrespectful!"

Hey buddy, get your head out of your keester. Just like us Canadians, they're everywhere, and they're not all orange-skinned blowhards. That Manny fella, he's American. That Joe Kapp guy - American. And the Adam Bighill jersey you were wearing honours another American so next time, please think before you rant.

Other posts have asked why we people sing anthems before sporting events at all, and I have no answer for that, other than the usual explanation "it's tradition". I'm old enough to remember wondering why it was necessary for us to stand up and sing "God Save the Queen" to start our school day when I was a kid. :tease:
Figaro
Rookie

I can do without the anthem before a game. 'O Canada didn't become our national anthem until July 1, 1980. Before then it was God Save the Queen. I guess my main complaint in listening to the national anthem before a game is how it is presented. Usually, it is some young woman's chance at stardom and she interprets the anthem 'her way' forgetting that it is our national anthem too. The result is often a funeral dirge that is twice as long as the traditional tempo would take.

If you are going to have a national anthem - have a military brass band play it. Then game on.

Same goes for the US anthem in the USA.