Lions 20 - Bombers 17, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I'm not sure if it has already been mentioned but Rainy had an outstanding game, 246 all purpose yards, I think.

Rainy needs more reps on O. I don't know if Collins Jr. has any experience as a KR, but if he does then sharing WR and KR duties with Rainy, so Rainy can spend more time on O, would be beneficial to the Lions O. Rainy is better suited than any other Lion to take one of those 3 yard passes and turn it into not just a 1st down, but a big YAC gainer.
Blitz
Team Captain

One aspect of the game against the Bombers that has mostly gone under the radar was our blocking on pass plays.

In our first 3 games of the season, we used a lot of RPO plays that not only involved post snap reads but our offensive line did a lot of run blocking on passing plays. We even handed the football off to our tailback on second and 10 a couple of times.

But in this last game against Winnipeg, we did a lot of pass blocking, rather than run blocking on passing plays. Those pass plays were also called from the sidelines. Most often, we didn't fake the handoff to the tailback, with Lulay reading the play post-snap, having to make a decision as to whether to hand the football off or throw it.

In other words, they were designed pass plays and not RPO plays. While Lulay was decisive with the football, he also had a lot of time to throw on some pass plays - more time to throw than in previous contests.

I was impressed that Figuroa continued to play, even though it was obvious he was hurting. Without Steward in the lineup, he would have been difficult to replace in this contest.

There is no question that our offensive line personnel is much improved this season. With Figuroa and Olofiye at tackle and Foucault at guard in place of Fabian, we have much more talent on our offensive line this season. Cody Husband is solid at center and I believe Steward, when healthy, is the best guard in the CFL.

With our offensive line talent, we should be able to pass block well this season. Thankfully, it appears that we will do that more in future contests. RPO plays are becoming trendy but its also important to note that the Philadelphia Eagles, who popularized the RPO last season, only used RPO plays 19% of the time in their offence.

We used RPO plays most of the time in our first 3 games of this season. It appears as if we are adjusting and getting better balance in our offence. But I really don't know if the offensive adjustments we made in this game were by design or because Jeremiah Johnson got hurt in the first quarter.

What I do like is the movement of our receivers pre-snap on pass plays, as well as the concept of flooding zones while attempting to get one of our best receivers one on one coverage on the weakside. if the pass defense does not rotate, it means one of our four receivers on the wide side should be open. If the zone does rotate, it gives us a good matchup nd single coverage on the weakside.

I was also happy that we threw the bubble screen to Shaq Johnson in this contest. In previous games we've targeted the bubble screen to Watson.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:07 pm

No question. Wally should have called a time out towards the end of the half. He has always been a terrible game day coach but with his experience, those things should not be happening.
Lulay was looking at the sideline gesturing repeatedly with his hands to say "call the time out". The winningest coach in CFL history either couldn't see what his QB was telling him, or decided that with 17 seconds left, the clock ticking, and no play called yet, was not the right time to use a time out.

Lulay needs to take matters into his own hands in these situations and do what he (and everyone who was awake and paying attention) knew needed to happen. Just call the timeout! If WB wants to get pissed at you let him. It's not like he is going to bench Lulay over a time out. Similarly, I'd like to see Lulay "go rogue" once in a while and change the play when Jackson calls something stupid like handing off to a your 165lb running back in the shotgun when it's 3rd and 1.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Belize City Lion wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:21 am
Blitz wrote:

No question. Wally should have called a time out towards the end of the half. He has always been a terrible game day coach but with his experience, those things should not be happening.
Lulay was looking at the sideline gesturing repeatedly with his hands to say "call the time out". The winningest coach in CFL history either couldn't see what his QB was telling him, or decided that with 17 seconds left, the clock ticking, and no play called yet, was not the right time to use a time out.

Lulay needs to take matters into his own hands in these situations and do what he (and everyone who was awake and paying attention) knew needed to happen. Just call the timeout! If WB wants to get pissed at you let him. It's not like he is going to bench Lulay over a time out. Similarly, I'd like to see Lulay "go rogue" once in a while and change the play when Jackson calls something stupid like handing off to a your 165lb running back in the shotgun when it's 3rd and 1.
One thing that is being overlooked on the lack of timeout used late in the 2nd was that it was their last timeout. They lost the first one on the earlier challenge. As things would turn out they needed that timeout late in the 3rd when they were first and goal at the Bomber 1 still trailing 17-0. On that play there was lots of confusion. Fajardo and others in the huddle kept gesturing to the sidelines that they were a man short and there was confusion on the sidelines as to who was supposed to go in. They finally called the timeout to avoid a delay of game or illegal substitution call that would have knocked them back to 1st and goal from the 6.

Funny you mention "everyone who was awake and paying attention". The reversal happened late in the game. While the command centre was reviewing O'Shea's challange for OPI on Burnham's catch Jackson, Fajardo and 3 or 4 others were bouncing up and down screaming and trying to get Lulay's attention to come over to talk about the next play. Lulay and the offence was have a good old chit chat in a loose huddle. After 5 or 6 seconds of animated gestures and screaming from the sidelines one of the linemen finally noticed, brought it to Travis' attention and off he trotted to meet with Jackson.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
BC 1988
Legend

Announced attendance of 19,541 was not as bad as feared right after the debacle in WPG. Credit that to the Lulay factor. Last week was the most Lions coverage in the media in years.

It's a good thing the crowd was sent home with such a dramatically positive result. (Thanks to O'Shea's riverboat gambler coaching style.) Hopefully they can do something positive on the road before coming back August 9th vs EDM.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:
Blitz wrote:

Lulay deserves all the best from football. And it seems the football gods agree with that notion.

After getting their 17-0 lead, the Bombers started to play in a fog. O'Shea gave in to temptation to make a statement, twice, and it backfired. He must be shaking his head about his decisions, or maybe he is not even acknowledging his mistakes. He gambled big time on those two 3rd down plays, for no good reason. He lost the gambles and gave us huge life. Huge.

Wally was in his own game day fog. It is disorienting to see the challenge flag in his pocket. One wonders in what strange way he will use it.

But Lulay was razor sharp in his focus, on the battle field, trying to get something going, trying to lift his team, trying to even get on the scoreboard. When O'Shea, in effect, twice tried to shame our defence by going for it on 3rd down, instead of taking the chip shot field goals, the Lions' pride, as professional athletes, awoke from its slumber. It was game on at that point.

Our defence became intense. STs were dangerous all night with Rainey. Travis had been moving the ball pretty well. Suddenly he was really moving it.

Looking back, it was kind of amazing how it happened. The closer we got on the score, it seemed inevitable. I noted that "we were going to steal it." And then it happened.

In the fog of war, Lulay kept his focus, his team got on board, and suddenly we snatched victory from defeat. Maybe with a little bit of help from the football gods, smiling on Lulay and us (roughing the passer calls, O'Shea's gambles). As noted, it is one for the archives, one the players won't forget. This fan certainly will not forget it. Lulay was amazing in 2011. He was amazing in his brief stint last year. As good as he has been, he is still improving. And last night he also had the rust to shake off. He has always had exceptional mobility and ability to be in the moment in the game, with his improvisation. But his arm seems so much better than even back in 2011.

And Wally and Jarious know that they better make dayum sure the game plan is built around Lulay's strengths. His status, his credentials and his ability demand it. And, in the moment, he can improvise.

How the season will unfold is still a mystery, but we do have some hope now.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:

Yup. There were 3 plays in which I was going apoplectic, BCL. The two that you mentioned as I could see a mile away what was going to happen and was powerless to do anything from the stands. The 3rd was a draw play to Rainey on like, 2nd and 20. But the little guy found a seam, juked and jived, and fought for enough yards and got the first down. I thought for sure we'd be punting on that play, but he got it done!

I think Rainey is battling an injury (possibly groin injury I heard) and he is worn down from pounding he takes. It would be nice to find someone spell him off in the returns. Last year we had Iannuzzi. At least we will have Rutley at RB next game. I am concerned about Figueroa's health though. I am almost wondering if he should get healthy instead of hobbling around on every play and risk the injury deteriorating.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Qman wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:15 pm
On D side:
- we have major issues at WILL ... bo was clearly getting picked on.
- we have major issues at DT/NT ... run over
I had the same thoughts. Lokombo was caught inside on the second of Harris's two big runs, totalling 65 yards, nearly half his rushing yardage for the game. I don't know who was responsible but no one set the edge on that side. Foster had the edge on the other long run in the first quarter but he was blocked and Harris cut inside him.

The Lions have given up a league-high 7 rushing plays of more than 20 yards this year, three of them by Andrew Harris.

The Lions have given up 152 rushing yards per game and 6.3 yards per rush, both league highs. The Lions' defensive stats are no doubt skewed by playing half their games against Andrew Harris and the Bombers.

I looked up defensive tackling stats for the front 7 for the first four games of this year and compared them to the first four games of last year. Interestingly, tackling stats are way up for all position groups this year, likely because the defence has spent more time on the field.

Tackles (1st 4 games)

Linebackers and nickelback
2017: 56
2018: 67

Defensive line
2017: 26
2018: 36

The interior line rotation of Coleman Luke and Forde has 19 tackles, compared to 10 for Brooks and Turner at the same positions last year.

Lokombo and Davis, who have shared the WILL position with Lokombo getting the majority of reps through four games, have 25 tackles. Tony Burnett and Micah Awe had 11 at this point last year at the WILL position..

Solomon Elimimian's stats buck the trend. He had 34 defensive tackles at this point last year. He has only 26 this year. Opposition offensive linemen are doing a better job of getting through to the second level, and that seems to be what's opening up more running lanes.
almo89
Legend

Great write up from Blitz as always. A few of Travis' completions were kind of off the mark, but the receivers were able to make the play. It was expected for a guy that hasn't played in a year and who knows if his knee is actually 100%. The most impressive thing about his play though was his poise. Down 17 and they couldn't even get a point at the half. Most guys would have folded, but not Travis. The half time locker room video shows him at the end still trying to rally his troops. Botchford was saying this morning on the radio that even though they couldn't muster any points in the first half, at least the offense was moving the ball under Travis. It wasn't a 2 and out show like the previous couple of games.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/07/15/bombers-r ... ltdown-bc/
“We killed ourselves,” began quarterback Matt Nichols. “They did the things they needed to win, but we let this one slip away, for sure, with our own mistakes. There are 10 different instances that changed the game, really. Everything we could do wrong, we did wrong.”
“We played a good first half and we didn’t really play in the second half,” said head coach Mike O’Shea. “Four giveaways (in the second half), URs (unnecessary roughness), offside… penalties and turnovers, it’s tough to win.”
And let's not forget about these two calls.
“We missed on one (short yardage) last year and it came in our second game of the season against Calgary,” said O’Shea. “We were 25 of 26 and the way our short-yardage package has been working… to me, it’s a no brainer. They didn’t work out. So now we’re less than purrfect this year.”
Pointless. Hubris. Arrogance. Take the field goals, and it is game over.
“I would throw that again… I watched it on the iPad… I hit Nic (Demski) in the chest, the DB got his arm in there and knocked it away and it got deflected up in the air,” said Nichols. “Watching it again, I would probably make that throw 10 times out of 10. I felt like it was a good opportunity to move the sticks on second and long.”
Yes, the pass was in there. LOL
“I felt like we played hard, we just played dumb. We made too mistakes and we didn’t do the things we do on a weekly basis. We did everything we could have done wrong as a team.”
We were out coached for much of the game. But it seems to me those two calls changed the course of the game.

And, on the other side, there was Travis Lulay.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lulay, exhorting each of the troops, before the game.

2018-07-16_1255.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Game planning details. Where is the ball going, one wonders?

6 OL. Lions all to one side of the field. Harris cannot get to that corner, can he?

2018-07-16_1258.png
2018-07-16_1306_001.png
2018-07-16_1308.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Very nice pass blocking by a talented OL allows Lulay to make a quick first read and pass to Manny.

2018-07-16_1317.png

CardiacKid
Legend

Before he went down, JJ24 was playing like a man who knew just how vital the win was for this team.
He had 3 carries for 26 yards (an 8.6 average) and 2 catches for 13 yards. He was running like he wouldn’t be denied.

Hopefully he will be back soon as he is emerging as a leader for the club. Last I heard his injury is a wait and see situation. If called upon, Rutley will be an excellent replacement. He is a different kettle of fish to JJ24 with his bruising running style.
David
Team Captain

Nichols can say they gave the game away but we also left a lot of points on the board too that could have altered the course of the game. The corner route that slipped out of Travis's hands that resulted in an INT and no points, and bungling the play before half-time. Not to mention we lost a couple of 3rd-and-1 battles too that could have kept drives going. I think he is selling us short.

I still need to see us shore up our run defence. It scares me more than our defensive backfield right now. We have given up 100+ yard games to Gable and Harris (both times). Andrew Harris was averaging 4.7 a carry going into the back-to-back.

Harris in the 3 games prior to BC: 43 carries for 201 yards (4.67 yards per carry).
Harris in the 2 games with BC: 25 carries for 248 yards (9.92 yards per carry).

This included runs of 43 in game 1 and 37 yards in game 2. It's something that we have to fix. We have Powell (OTT) and Jackson (CGY) upcoming who are absolutely going to SHRED us unless we get this corrected.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar