Games of Week 2, June 21 to June 23, 2018

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hmmmm

Riders over OTT. How good is Ottawa? Jones has a quarterback now.

Peg over Alouettes. Not all that easy methinks. Stubler's defence can give an offence fits.

Hamilton loses in Edmonton.

Stampede in Argoland. Argos win.

Tough calls. Might as well toss a coin on all of them. Even Winnipeg in Montreal.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Games of Week 2

2018-06-19_0623.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Odie
Rookie

While they may be a ways away yet, that Montreal team that came to BC last week is not the same team as the one that finished last season... they may actually surprise some people this season. They are well coached defensively and have weapons scattered throughout the roster. Stubler will keep them in some games with his defence and, if they can score some points on offence, they can certainly beat anyone who naps on them. QB might be a weak spot for them, but Drew Willy, despite deserved recent criticism, did get it done once before and, although he made some choices he probably wants back last week, its pretty clear his arm is strong, he has some touch on the football (his deeper and intermediate throws were on target), so he may just see them through, particularly if Sutton can stay healthy and his receivers can make some plays. Wouldn't be shocked if they can give Winnipeg a good run.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Duron Carter playing defensive back this week.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Of course we are not playing this week ...

CGY, EDM, SAS, TOR about right IMO.

We looked good in our regular season debut. We will see if we continue with our more attack-oriented philosophy on our return next week. For now, still at the bottom of the pecking order along with the lowly Alouettes.

2018-06-20_0628.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/06/19/stamps-es ... -rankings/
Header_CFLPowerRankings

1. Calgary Stampeders

Record: 1-0
Last Week: 1

Bo Levi Mitchell was often just a tad off target in his 2018 debut, but did enough to help the Stamps win their season-opener over the Ticats. Most importantly his shoulder looked just fine, and Calgary’s offensive weaponry is the envy of the league heading into a Grey Cup rematch with the Argos.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Edmonton Eskimos

Last Week: 3

Another game, another fourth-quarter comeback for Mike Reilly, giving him 20 in his career. The Eskimos ‘escaped’ with a victory despite rolling up 481 yards of offence to Winnipeg’s 300, but Week 1’s rain-soaked victory was impressive nonetheless. The Esks’ offence is a certified juggernaut.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Saskatchewan Roughriders

Last Week: 4

Zach Collaros was decisive and accurate in his Riders debut, ending a personal 12-game losing streak with a win over the Toronto Argonauts. But it was the pass-rushing tandem of Charleston Hughes and Willie Jefferson that stood out the most, coming exactly as advertised while making life miserable for Ricky Ray.

4. Toronto Argonauts

Record: 0-1
Last Week: 2

Speaking of Ricky Ray, the Argos’ pivot didn’t play a snap in the pre-season and it showed in Week 1, as the Argos had a tough first few quarters offensively against the Riders. Still, things started to click later in the game, setting up what should be an exciting Grey Cup rematch with Calgary in Week 2.

5. Ottawa REDBLACKS

Record: 0-0
Last Week: 5

The Week 1 bye is no fun for fans, but the REDBLACKS watched themselves take sole possession of first in the East after the Argos, Als and Ticats all lost. Led by Trevor Harris and one of the most exciting and explosive offences in the CFL, the REDBLACKS are a contender for the East, with a big first test on the horizon against the Riders.

6. Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Last Week: 7

Chris Streveler had a solid debut, throwing three touchdown passes in his first professional start. Still, it’s an uphill battle for the Bombers without Matt Nichols in the highly-competitive West, and their defence didn’t do much to inspire confidence after surrendering 481 total yards. A familiar foe in Drew Willy awaits.

7. Hamilton Tiger-Cats

Last Week: 6

Jeremiah Masoli was impressive in a losing effort, crossing the 300-yard plateau for the sixth straight game — enough to keep Johnny Manziel on the bench, for now. The Ticats kept it close on the road against the Stamps and will try for an Alberta split in Week 2 when they visit the Eskimos.

8. BC Lions

Last Week: 8

After a step back in 2017, we saw a very different Jonathon Jennings in his season debut Saturday. Jennings didn’t take unnecessary risks and completed a high volume of passes, leading the Lions to a season-opening win over the Alouettes. If the Lions’ young pivot is back on track, BC could be an unexpected dark horse in the West.

9. Montreal Alouettes

Last Week: 9

The Alouettes’ offence came to life for 15 brief minutes against the Lions, led by the speed of Chris Williams and the strong arm of Drew Willy. With a dynamic running back and some highly-talented receivers, the Als have the talent to compete, but they’ll need to protect their quarterback with more regularity to make it happen.

Rodu
Champion

The league really needs a 10th team, bye week in week 2? Boring. Ottawa a bye in opening week?
CardiacKid
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:33 pm
Duron Carter playing defensive back this week.
I don't know if this is a typo but over at TSN, they have posted an article about Carter that begins "Duron Carter, who is expected to play just defence this season....."

I find that really doubtful but with Jones, you never know. It must be just defence for this game.
David
Team Captain

Saskatchewan @ Ottawa - Saskatchewan
Calgary @ Toronto - Calgary
Hamilton @ Edmonton - Edmonton
Winnipeg @ Montreal - Montreal (the upset of the week)

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

David wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:17 pm

I like all of those except I pick the RedBlacks to beat the StubbleJumpers. The extra bye week helps the RBs to prepare but also their newly retooled, aggressive defence will have more success against a poorly regarded RR offensive line than the RRs against Ottawa’s line.
I pick LaBatte to go down with an injury, thereby totally throwing a monkey wrench into the ratio and expose their terrible National depth. Hughes goes down with an ankle injury and is placed on the 6-game IR, leaving Jefferson isolated on the DLine. Lastly I think Spencer will have a good game against Carter and expose his complete rawness at corner.
I gots me a feelin’....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ottawa, Toronto, Edmonton and the Bombers
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

CardiacKid wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:18 pm
David wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:17 pm

I like all of those except I pick the RedBlacks to beat the StubbleJumpers. The extra bye week helps the RBs to prepare but also their newly retooled, aggressive defence will have more success against a poorly regarded RR offensive line than the RRs against Ottawa’s line.
I pick LaBatte to go down with an injury, thereby totally throwing a monkey wrench into the ratio and expose their terrible National depth. Hughes goes down with an ankle injury and is placed on the 6-game IR, leaving Jefferson isolated on the DLine. Lastly I think Spencer will have a good game against Carter and expose his complete rawness at corner.
I gots me a feelin’....
Well, good luck with the premonitions and what ifs but the reality is that Redblacks have 2 injured O linemen and will be playing rookie first round pick Korte at LG. He will need more than a good feelin', I am afraid, going up against the best D Line in the CFL.
CardiacKid
Legend

After the first week of CFL action, I was left with a feeling of something missing...
Then, after reading my Twitter feed, I realized what it was...there was no Rod Pedersen nonsense last week.

But Rod being Rod, he quickly fixed that today. I am glad I can count on the voice of “Canada’s team” to be a doofus. He claims to have been kicked out of the RedBlacks walk-through, complete with #conspiracy. The RedBlacks countered with stating he wasn’t kicked out but instead asked to leave a location where the media are not allowed during practice.

I am more inclined to believe the RedBlacks....

https://www.3downnation.com/2018/06/20/ ... lkthrough/
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Writers' picks

2018-06-21_0225_001.png

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

2 field goals gave given the Redblacks a 6-0 lead