New Uniforms next year. Adidas out as Uniform supplier.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

Adidas owns Reebok, apparently someone at Adidas wanted to de-emphasize Reebok's role in supplying sports leagues with material, and Adidas is more interested in soccer in Europe than Asia than in North American sports leagues, which is their prerogative.

If more money is the question, I think Nike would be well served to step in. Canada isn't a hugely profitable market, but it coalesces nicely with the inroads they've made into US markets with football and they can more or less just slot in nicely.

Under Armour is having financial problems and are phasing themselves out of a lot of US college level contracts; a market they've invested in heavily over the last five years. Also, their designs are awful and the fanwear is grossly overpriced.

Personally, I think this is a great opportunity for NewEra. They're headquartered in Buffalo and other than hats and some t-shirts they really aren't prominent in the uniform game. They can, potentially, use the CFL as a testing lab for getting deeper into the college market that Under Armour is now having to scale back on.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

David wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:30 pm
Here's another image with the black socks (btw, if you'll notice, the Leos have switched to orange socks at home this year from black socks).

DH :cool:
I'm glad to see that the orange socks for this year appear to just have been a preseason thing. As we know now they went back to black.
As for the uniform change, I think it would be too early to make a drastic change, plus I like the current ones. But it is a purrfect opportunity to make some minor tweaks. Like removing the logo from the lower back. :)
Maybe adding a little black trim to the roads.
tigerrr22
Starter

I think the current home jerseys look sharp except that they need to remove the logo from the back of the jersey. Also go to the 1976-77 logo on the current black helmets keeping the facemasks black. Then use the black helmets, with orange center stripe, on the road and the same black pants and socks as worn at home.

The away white jersey should have black numbers. The shoulders should be orange and the sleeve numbers and sleeve stripes black. (Basically flip around the colors but base it on how the current home jersey is set up.)

The seventies logo could be updated a bit. But basically be the same orange roaring mountain lion head with black B and C inside the lion head too. Just a little more detail with the teeth of the lion and maybe the eye too. This should become the primary logo for everything. Letterheads. Websites. Apparel. This logo looks great on hats and t-shirts too. (A new owner that's local and rooted in this region would understand the logic of returning to this primary logo.)

These uniforms would combine new with retro. The orange helmets and away uniforms look too soft. A bit dull looking too.
Last edited by tigerrr22 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:17 am, edited 7 times in total.
CardiacKid
Legend

David wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:15 pm
If we go with a new supplier, what would you guys like to see happen with our uniforms?

Status quo

Status quo with tweaks/minor changes

Retro

Redesign

Retro all the way, particularly the 70’s look with the burnt orange and the snarling cougar in profile.
I have been really underwhelmed with the fan gear and official sideline stuff put out by Adidas. It is incredibly plain with black, black, black with an extra splash of black.

I would love it if there was a t-shirt or something relatively inexpensive that used a graphic from the old QB Club patches. The puma image used from the McDonald’s QB club patch is quite effective IMO and wouldn’t look out of place on a piece of fan kit.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

tigerrr22 wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:26 am
I think the current home jerseys look sharp except that they need to remove the logo from the back of the jersey. Also go to the 1976-77 logo on the current black helmets keeping the facemasks black. Then use the black helmets, with orange center stripe, on the road and the same black pants and socks as worn at home.

The away white jersey should have black numbers. The shoulders should be orange and the sleeve numbers and sleeve stripes black. (Basically flip around the colors but base it on how the current home jersey is set up.)

The seventies logo could be updated a bit. But basically be the same orange roaring mountain lion head with black B and C inside the lion head too. Just a little more detail with the teeth of the lion and maybe the eye too. This should become the primary logo for everything. Letterheads. Websites. Apparel. This logo looks great on hats and t-shirts too. (A new owner that's local and rooted in this region would understand the logic of returning to this primary logo.)

These uniforms would combine new with retro. The orange helmets and away uniforms look too soft. A bit dull looking too.
I wouldn't mind these adjustments, except I like the current helmets. I think the logo you want would be a good alternate uniform option. Also, I think they want to maintain orange as the dominant colour over black, and your changes to the roads would really make them mostly black. Although I do think they'd look good.
tigerrr22
Starter

They could go to orange socks on the road. Plus give the away jersey's front and back: black numbers some orange edging. This would add a greater level of orange to the away uniforms. Complimenting the orange shoulders plus orange logo on the helmets.

Then, give the home orange jersey front and back numbers some white edging around the black numbers. This edging would help the numbers pop when seen on a television screen.

Then on the sleeve numbers (home and away) use white edging.

I think these uniforms would be the best in team history. A balance of black jersey preference (using road uniforms that offer a greater level of black) and orange jersey preference (with orange home jerseys). Also leans towards the retro look too.

The current jersey number font looks good for the future too.
dtrain
Starter

Just go back to what I'll call the 'Roy Dewalt' uniforms: introduced in 1978, logo, helmet and both unis were purrfect, should have never changed them, every combo after that was never as good.
Current helmet logo looks stupid/gimmicky/trendy, that said, if they at least switched to an orange cage it would acceptable. Right now, remove the decals and they have a generic black on black lid, identical to 2 other teams in a 9 team league.
A great helmet should have a team identity before the decals have been added.
Current road unis suck.
aklawitter
All Star

bring. back. gunmetal!

"nobody wanted it" BS Skulsky, nobody wants the current *poop* that's why Adidas is dumping underperformers like they did with TaylorMade Golf

Tempire retros were nice.
dtrain
Starter

Tempire: never heard that one before, nicely played. Slow clap ;)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Make a deal with Roots, a Canadian company, usually with striking, outside the box type of designs. OTOH I don't think that they have ever produced a sports team jersey, so we could see guys playing in hoodies. :wink:
mws
Starter

I’ve never been a fan of orange as a dominant colour. IMHO the ‘63/‘64 uniforms were one of sport’s all time greats. More black. Less orange.
David
Team Captain

mws wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:39 am
I’ve never been a fan of orange as a dominant colour. IMHO the ‘63/‘64 uniforms were one of sport’s all time greats. More black. Less orange.
As long as Braley is the owner of this team, orange will be the dominant colour. This came up on TSN1040's President's Week with Skulsky (the reason we only wore the gunmetals 3x is not because we lost a couple of times wearing them, although that was the spin. Braley was not a fan). You have to be careful having a uniform that is primarily orange, not to look like creamsicles.

I agree though. As a home uniform, you have to go a long way to beat the ones we wore from 1964 - 1969.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
mws
Starter

Agree David,
Since going orange I think our Lions look like a pack of disgruntled A&W employees.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

With all due respect, I think some of you need to get over the comparisons. Creamsicles, A&W, come on. You could say something like this for probably every team in existence, but with some other brand or product.
Personally I agree with Braley on the colours. When we had black as the main colour, there really was no identity or colour that people took on as their team colour. You can't do that with black. Back in the 90's there was a serious lack of pride in our colours. (I actually remember a radio ad that said "home of the orange, black, white and silver" ) You couldn't tell what team the people in the crowd were rooting for. With orange, that's very clear. A black alternate is the way to go if you need black, but I really think it's unimaginative anyway. I hate when Calgary does it.
I think the current jersey does a good job of satisfying both. It's got lots of black, but orange is still prominent. It became too much when they wore orange socks in preseason. I did like those 70s throwbacks though.
David
Team Captain

Honour Dewalt wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:14 pm
With all due respect, I think some of you need to get over the comparisons. Creamsicles, A&W, come on. You could say something like this for probably every team in existence, but with some other brand or product.
The creamsicle comment only surfaces when they don't include enough black - like our away uniforms (which was the compromise staff made with Braley to get all the black in the home unis). BTW, our colour scheme since incorporation into the league has been burnt orange and ebony black (from the Vancouver Meralomas), so it's not like they just threw black in there to be trendy like the Stamps (who have traditionally been red and white).

I can live with the current homes. Not my first choice but they have grown on me. Would like them even more with our regular logo on the helmets or the paw.

Roar, You Lions, Roar