Official Kamloops Training Camp Thread 2018

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

One injury of note on Friday: Maxx Forde left the field wih an apparent left shoulder injury after making a tackle in the backfield during what was supposed to be a non-contact scrimmage.

Shaq Johnson had another TD catch in red-zone offence during non-contact scrimmage, and Jonathon Jennings ran for a TD. But the big question hanging over the Lions this year is which version of Jennings will we see. It’s early but he doesn’t seem comfortable with Jarious Jackson’s new offence. In fact, you wouldn’t know by watching him that it’s a new offence. He’s either throwing 50-50 deep balls to Manny Arceneaux, Bryan Burnham and Tyler Davis or he’s holding the ball too long and running for his life without finding an open receiver. The second-team offence looks much crisper with Cody Fajardo making quick decisions, completing short passes and driving the field. I’ll keep watching for any signs of an improvement from Jennings.

If anyone wonders why Jose Maltos is ahead of Ty Long in the kicking battle, Maltos was consistently booming his kickoffs 70 to 75 yards and placing them perfectly outside the numbers, all while kicking without a tee. Maltos also executed three onside kicks. If he keeps doing that in games, it will knock his kicking average way down. :wink:

Finally, I always like to look at the special teams to see which new or rotational players have an inside track at cracking the roster. Among those getting first-team reps on special teams are Ivan McLennan, Mitchell Barnett, Bo Lokombo, Frederic Chagnon, Junior Luke, Julien Laurent, Danny Vandervoort, Keelan Johnson and Dyshawn Davis.
BC 1988
Legend

Great reading both Hambone and B.C.FAN' s reports. The detail does a great job of "putting you there".

I was a little surprised to see TL14 was still active after the report of knee swelling a few days ago. I assume he's relying on the brace to function, but it seems a bit early to be back out there so soon.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:05 am
Jordan Herdman did his best Solomon Elimimian impersonation at middle linebacker, making tackles all over the field.
Great report, BCFAN.

Herdman had a very good career at UBC. For some reason not highly rated for the draft. But all he can do is play, and make plays. :thup: [edited -- Herdman attended SFU, not UBC.]
Danny Vandervoort always seems to get open deep and make great catches. I’m not sure that Cory Watson should be starting ahead of him.
DV has been given little chance to show his wares in his time with the Lions. I even wondered if he was a blown draft pick. Glad to hear he is showing well at Camp.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:44 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Danny Vandervoort always seems to get open deep and make great catches. I’m not sure that Cory Watson should be starting ahead of him.
Another great report BC FAN. :thup:
Just let the kid play!
3rd overall pick in 2017 draft. He is supposed to be a potential impact national. Put him ahead of the 34-year-old Watson and tell him it's his job to lose with a veteran behind him for insurance.

I wish the Lions would be more aggressive in giving their growing national talent pool the opportunity to play.
Yup, Wally the conservative, afraid to start rookies and young players. Jason Clermont, Ricky Foley, Brent Johnson, Paris Jackson, Shawn Gore....the list is long, all should have been starters earlier in their careers.
Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:59 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
Just let the kid play!
3rd overall pick in 2017 draft. He is supposed to be a potential impact national. Put him ahead of the 34-year-old Watson and tell him it's his job to lose with a veteran behind him for insurance.

I wish the Lions would be more aggressive in giving their growing national talent pool the opportunity to play.
Yup, Wally the conservative, afraid to start rookies and young players. Jason Clermont, Ricky Foley, Brent Johnson, Paris Jackson, Shawn Gore....the list is long, all should have been starters earlier in their careers.
Gotta play those special teams with enthusiasm for 3 years or so to prove that you are hungry enough...:)
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I believe Herdman attended Simon Fraser.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:55 pm

Great report, BCFAN.

Herdman had a very good career at UBC. For some reason not highly rated for the draft. But all he can do is play, and make plays. :thup:
TheLionKing wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 2:10 pm
I believe Herdman attended Simon Fraser.
Jordan Herdman will be running against more than just the clock at the CFL combine.

Pushing the Simon Fraser linebacker will be none other than his twin brother, Justin, who also played linebacker with the Clan. The Winnipeg natives will be among over 50 players looking to impress CFL coaches and GMs in testing slated for Friday and Saturday in Regina.

http://theprovince.com/sports/football/ ... fl-combine
Yes. SFU, not UBC.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Rodu
Champion

DanoT wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
Just let the kid play!

Clermont and Johnson were starters out of the gate prior to Wally, Foley backed up Cam Wake for two years, Jackson you may have a point, Gore started in his first full season
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Rodu wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 4:28 pm
DanoT wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:

Just let the kid play!

Clermont and Johnson were starters out of the gate prior to Wally, Foley backed up Cam Wake for two years, Jackson you may have a point, Gore started in his first full season
I stand corrected.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Vandervoort also showed great hands and the ability to catch the deep ball at training camp last year but he’s best suited to an inside position and there was no room for him in the lineup behind Manny Arceneaux, Bryan Burnham and Marco Iannuzzi. Vandervoort caught one pass last year as a substitute WR.

In Jarious Jackson’s new offence, the fifth receiver is an inside slot who blocks for the run game and short pasing game and catches balls near the line of scrimmage. It’s a purrfect fit for Vandervoort, and he brings the added ability to get open deep and make tough catches. I haven’t seen that from Watson.
CardiacKid
Legend

‘It’s early but he doesn’t seem comfortable with Jarious Jackson’s new offence. In fact, you wouldn’t know by watching him that it’s a new offence. He’s either throwing 50-50 deep balls to Manny Arceneaux, Bryan Burnham and Tyler Davis or he’s holding the ball too long and running for his life without finding an open receiver.”

Ughhhhh......sounds like they need to get Jennings a hypnotherapist or a sports psychologist.

Solomon is dealing with a hip injury and Ricky Collins a groin injury.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

https://www.bclions.com/2018/05/25/rick ... lot-prove/

Growing up in the athlete factory also known as Tyler, Texas, Ricky Collins Jr. had no shortage of options. Along with starring on the gridiron at John Tyler High School, where he had over 1,000 receiving yards and 13 touchdowns in his senior season, Collins Jr. also considered pursuing a baseball career until one pitch changed things forever.

“I got hit on the elbow and it hurt real good, ” he recalls with a chuckle.

“After that, I figured no equipment, no protection, maybe I should focus on football.”

Now, it’s no secret wide receivers take the odd smack now and again. But it’s still a far cry from getting plunked by a 90-mile per hour fastball.

Through four days of padded practices in Kamloops, Collins Jr. has seen reps with the first team offence and emerged as one of the more intriguing additions to the new unit being built by Jarious Jackson.

“This is a good chance for me and I think I have a real shot,” Collins Jr. says.

“I’d love to be a starting receiver, but this is a professional football team and you have to go out there and show what you can do. It’s also a good chance for me to mesh with the receiving corps., as well as Jonathon, Travis and the other quarterbacks.”

And he has every reason in the world to be hungry. After spending his final two college years at Texas A&M Commerce, where he was teammates with current Lions teammate and fellow receiver Vernon Johnson, Collins Jr. spent time with the Green Bay Packers in 2015 before finding his way to Saskatchewan and a productive rookie campaign: 48 receptions for 720 yards and a pair of touchdowns in just 13 games.

2017 would prove to be different and not in a good way: after the regular season opener he was traded to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, suffered an injury and subsequently did not see any more playing time once he recovered.

Now on the west coast, he knows the time to shine is now.

“I have a whole lot left in the tank. Football is far from over for me, ” the receiver says.

Collins Jr. is here despite dealing with some obstacles when his father Ricky Sr. suffered a stroke in 2012. Despite just transferring to Midwestern State, he knew duty called and moved back home to take care of both his father and mother Carolyn who had medical issues of her own. On top of that, he had two small children with a third on the way. To help make ends meet he took an overnight job at the local Walmart.

“Not everyone is blessed to have both their parents and I have been really lucky to have them in my corner,” Collins Jr. says.

“Whenever I can give back to my parents, I’ll do anything I can to help them.”

Collins did enjoy a productive rookie season with the Roughriders, hauling in 48 receptions for 720 yards and a pair of touchdowns in 13 games. Being the odd man out and there and not getting a real shot in Hamilton has so far proven to be a blessing in disguise.

Despite tweaking a groin earlier this week, Collins Jr. was able to take part in many of Friday’s drills and continues to pick up some key pointers from both Jackson and the coaches as well as the other receivers battling alongside him.

“My first camp in orange is going good,” he adds.

“I have the huge expectations for both myself and the team. It’s always motivating when you have two or three good receivers and all of these guys have formed a good nucleus of players. I know Jarious from Saskatchewan. He was a player, knows what its like and how to communicate with us on the field.”

Pro Football Hall of Famer Earl Campbell, Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes and former NBA star Larry Johnson are just a few of the big athletes that hail from the town of Tyler. Collins Jr. has yet to fully write his whole story.

Training Camp Day 6 Tidbits

If you had to ask this writer what player on offence has consistently shown he has an extra gear, that would be Shaq Johnson. The speedy receiver was once again a deep threat in Friday’s morning session and hauled in a nice touchdown grab in tight coverage in the corner of the end zone. The 2018 camp returns are indeed early, but Johnson is quickly turning into one of the club’s better recent Canadian draft success stories.

Jonathon Jennings was quick to point out how much better some of the new additions up front have made him and the other quarterbacks.

“Those guys are ginormous, honestly,” Jennings said.

“You walk down the hall with them and it’s just crazy how big they are. Those guys are working as hard as ever, honestly. We’ve got those guys moving a lot, running around, running back to the huddle. They’re doing a great job protecting as well. Obviously, the run game is going to be a big part (of it) as well. Those guys are doing a great job of hustling, working hard and competing.”

His pal Travis Lulay is back competing in limited drills, but still not taking part in the team sessions. If anything, that has allowed Jennings to get to know new teammates Cody Fajardo and Ricky Lloyd.

“It’s been great,” he says.

“It’s always good to have new faces in to lighten up the room a little bit. Cody is a great guy. Obviously, he worked under (Marc) Trestman’s system so he has a good knowledge of the CFL and has really done a good job picking up the things Jarious is coaching up and he fits right in with the quarterback room. Ricky is a young guy as well so he’s out here just trying to learn the game in general. It’s fun with him.”

Trade Alert: Late on Friday afternoon, GM Ed Hervey announced the acquisition of defensive lineman Davon Coleman from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. In exchange, the Lions are giving up a fourth-round pick in the 2019 CFL Draft. Hamilton is including their 2019 sixth-round pick in the deal. Coleman might be best remembered in these circles as the guy who ran into Jennings in the memorable week four game in Steel Town last July 15th, knocking the Lions’ starter out for the next three weeks. Coleman registered 41 defensive tackles and five sacks in his lone season with the Tiger-Cats and appeared in four games with the Dallas Cowboys from 2014-15. He should provide some even more intriguing options in Hervey’s new look rotation.

Saturday Schedule: Morning practice will be in helmets and shorts only from 8:30- 10:30 AM. Fan Fest, presented by BCLC, takes place from 5:30- 9:30 PM at Hillside Stadium. Those in attendance can get a first hand look at the players during the live scrimmage.

Matt Baker: mbaker@bclions.com

Guys, please just post the link to an interesting article or the most interesting paragraph or two from it. No need to provide entire 1,000 work essays that are contained in the link. This will save space and allow all of us to find posters' contributions more easily without having to scroll.

Thanks!
Mod Staff
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Trade Alert: Late on Friday afternoon, GM Ed Hervey announced the acquisition of defensive lineman Davon Coleman from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. In exchange, the Lions are giving up a fourth-round pick in the 2019 CFL Draft. Hamilton is including their 2019 sixth-round pick in the deal. Coleman might be best remembered in these circles as the guy who ran into Jennings in the memorable week four game in Steel Town last July 15th, knocking the Lions’ starter out for tnext three weeks. Coleman registered 41 defensive tackles and five sacks in his lone season with the Tiger-Cats and appeared in four games with the Dallas Cowboys from 2014-15. He should provide some even more intriguing options in Hervey’s new look rotation.

Matt Baker: mbaker@bclions
Wow, this is huge. There is your Euclid Cummings replacement. In fact, if you asked me last year which CFL defensive tackle I would most like to see in a B.C. uniform, it would have been Coleman. I well remember him blowing past David Foucault and ruining Jonathon Jennings’ season. I also saw him overpower many other offensive linemen and terrorize quarterbacks. I don’t know what made him expendable in Hamilton but as long as there are no Cummings-like skeletons in his closet, he will be the fourth starter on the B.C. defensive line.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:42 pm
Trade Alert: Late on Friday afternoon, GM Ed Hervey announced the acquisition of defensive lineman Davon Coleman from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. In exchange, the Lions are giving up a fourth-round pick in the 2019 CFL Draft. Hamilton is including their 2019 sixth-round pick in the deal. Coleman might be best remembered in these circles as the guy who ran into Jennings in the memorable week four game in Steel Town last July 15th, knocking the Lions’ starter out for tnext three weeks. Coleman registered 41 defensive tackles and five sacks in his lone season with the Tiger-Cats and appeared in four games with the Dallas Cowboys from 2014-15. He should provide some even more intriguing options in Hervey’s new look rotation.

Matt Baker: mbaker@bclions
Wow, this is huge. There is your Euclid Cummings replacement. In fact, if you asked me last year which CFL defensive tackle I would most like to see in a B.C. uniform, it would have been Coleman. I well remember him blowing past David Foucault and ruining Jonathon Jennings’ season. I also saw him overpower many other offensive linemen and terrorize quarterbacks. I don’t know what made him expendable in Hamilton but as long as there are no Cummings-like skeletons in his closet, he will be the fourth starter on the B.C. defensive line.
Good news. Size, power and explosiveness at DT. Hervey knows the importance.

Coleman is variously listed at 6'2'', 295 and 6'1'', 282. Not quite Cummings' size, but he could fill the bill. Or one of the other big guys Hervey has brought in might fill it, Louis, Jenkins, etc.

David
Team Captain

Yes, WestCoastJoe. I believe we're going to be very stout against the run this year. I don't know what the median weight of the defensive line will be, but I have to believe it will be 5% - 10% heavier than 2017's.

Our 1st round pick, Julian Laurent, was a very effective run stopper at Georgia State. In fact, as a nose tackle, he anchored a unit that set a school record for fewest rushing yards per game (136.4) and fewest yards per rushing attempt (4.13).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar