2018 CFL Draft, Including Trades (Topics merged by Mod Staff)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

OV - 54:40
Champion

CFL Combine happening this weekend; lots of prospects to look at.

Wonder what the thinking will be - from Wally & Mr. Ed - with regards to first couple of picks ?

Big, deep O-line crop this draft; but the Lions have a good crop of NI Ol-linemen already - Steward, Vailllancourt, Husband, Foucault; are they thinking possiblity of 4 NI starters there with an NI OT ? Always a good, cliched CFL idea to have more NI O-line depth though; they could probably wait till their 2nd pick and still get a good O-line prospect (UBC's Dakoda Shepley just put up a pretty good set of testing #s at a US college ball pro day); or maybe use the 1st pick on one of the NCAA Div I starters who are up (like OT Knevel (Nebraska)?

Julien Laurent - big DT from Div I ball is IMO far and away the best D-line prospect this draft - but the Lions already have a good young stable of NI D-linemen in Menard, Luke & Forde.

A couple of pretty good safety prospects - in Onyeka (Laurier - big body all-star corner, but slowish 40 time will see him viewed as a CFL safety?), or Jackson Bennett (GGs) - size and athleticism to play maybe safety or either OLB spot in the CFL? (played OLB and all over the D-backfield, plus returned kicks for the GGs). One of those guys might be able to challenge Thompson right away for the starting safety spot, or at least be viewed as depth / future starter ?

A few good receivers this draft, but with Shaq Johnson, plus Vandervoort maybe ready to step-up = not that much need there to use an early draft pick ? If Ed favors NCAA guys - might he use # 1 on Mark Chapman (leading receiver at C-Michigan) ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I see receiver as the Lions' biggest area of need for nationals. Shaq Johnson, Cory Watson and Danny Vandervoort will likely all make the 46-man roster but there's no one to back them up on the practice roster except Mitch Hillis, an eighth round draft pick who was in camp last year before returning to the Saskatchewan Huskies for his final year of eligibility.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

John Hodge of 3downnation takes an interesting look at five players with the most to lose at the CFL combine. OL Dakoda Shepley of UBC is atop the list because he's seen as the only tackle prospect in the draft class:

Five players with the most to lose at the CFL combine
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:33 am
John Hodge of 3downnation takes an interesting look at five players with the most to lose at the CFL combine. OL Dakoda Shepley of UBC is atop the list because he's seen as the only tackle prospect in the draft class:

Five players with the most to lose at the CFL combine
Makes little sense that Shepley is viewed as the only OT prospect this draft ??? Some of the 3Down reporters are out to lunch a lot of the times IMO or else just dutifully report what CFL insiders tell them it seems ?

Knevel (Nebraska) - starting OT in Div I ball with classic tall (6-9) OT size; Rutherford & Hunter from NCAA ball also have OT experience; David Brown (Western) is a CIS all-star OT.

All of these guys could of course get converted to interior O-linemen by CFL types who don't believe NIs can play OT ?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:37 pm
I see receiver as the Lions' biggest area of need for nationals. Shaq Johnson, Cory Watson and Danny Vandervoort will likely all make the 46-man roster but there's no one to back them up on the practice roster except Mitch Hillis, an eighth round draft pick who was in camp last year before returning to the Saskatchewan Huskies for his final year of eligibility.
The only thing I have to go by for my logic is the draft order and rankings from Sept and Dec in Wiki's pages. BC is in a slot where I think it will get down to how much of an onus they put on landing a true big body DT. Having lost Cummings the way they did I wonder if DT may have becomea much higher priority than it was a few weeks ago.

Rankings of top prospects show OL in the first 4 spots. The next most prominent position is receivers with 3 listed in the late 1st/early 2nd range. There are only 2 DL in the top 20 with Laurent at #5 being the only true DT type. These aren't the final rankings of course and rankings don't mean everything or anything for that matter until NFL interest is clear days before the draft.

IMO if they want a true DT who could rotate with Luke and Brooks then they have to take Laurent if he's still on the board because he won't be there at 12. There might not be another one lining up with their draft slot until the late rounds.. But they should get a crack at some decent OL, receivers or DBS at 12 and 21. If DT is not on their priority list then they can go OL at 3 and look at other needs at 12 and 21.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

A couple of other draft observations from yours truly. Hamilton owns this draft with 5 picks in the first 20. BC will literally be getting their leftovers. Hamiltion has the pick right before BC in the 1st and 3rd rounds and the two picks in front of BC's 2nd rounder. I don't know how Hamilton's NAT depth currently sits. If they are in decent shape having so many picks isn't always a good thing. It can be a challenge to make room on the 46 for what should be some good talent. Putting any on the PR can be risky with vultures like Chris Jones swirling around looking to make up for having no picks between 14 and 36 by pilfering from others.

So 3 thoughts. 1) Hopefully Hamilton's needs don't mirror those of BC. 2) I wonder if Hamilton might be looking to parlay a couple of their 2nd rounders into another 1st? 3) If they were would it be in BC's interest to get in on such actiion?
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:23 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:37 pm
The only thing I have to go by for my logic is the draft order and rankings from Sept and Dec in Wiki's pages. BC is in a slot where I think it will get down to how much of an onus they put on landing a true big body DT. Having lost Cummings the way they did I wonder if DT may have becomea much higher priority than it was a few weeks ago.

Rankings of top prospects show OL in the first 4 spots. The next most prominent position is receivers with 3 listed in the late 1st/early 2nd range. There are only 2 DL in the top 20 with Laurent at #5 being the only true DT type. These aren't the final rankings of course and rankings don't mean everything or anything for that matter until NFL interest is clear days before the draft.

IMO if they want a true DT who could rotate with Luke and Brooks then they have to take Laurent if he's still on the board because he won't be there at 12. There might not be another one lining up with their draft slot until the late rounds.. But they should get a crack at some decent OL, receivers or DBS at 12 and 21. If DT is not on their priority list then they can go OL at 3 and look at other needs at 12 and 21.
What about Maxx Forde at DT ? - i thought he was quite impressive when he had some playing time there last season - and was puzzled that he didn't get rewarded with more as the season wore on?
Luke & Forde would be able to hold down one DT spot IMO.

But it would be nice to add Julien Laurent to the mix - and agreed he will go early, so might have to use the 1st pick to get him. Another option in the later rounds might be McGlaun (Indiana State) - pretty big load (listed at 310, but only 6' even) - and a starter in NCAA ball.

Not a good draft crop at DT - as opposed to some recent years where there were quite a good number of impressive DTs available.

I think Jake Thomas of the Bombers is still out there as a FA - under-sized DT, but has shown some good stuff for the Bombers and has lots of CFL experience now.

And if the Ticats are potential trade partners - they have some former draft pick DTs - Atkinson, Gill & Vaughn - who are stuck behind Ted Laurent there - maybe one of them could be thrown -in in a draft swap of some sort ?
Champion

And talking receivers: anybody seen this kid Justin Buren play at Simon Fraser?

Advanced to the Main Combine out of the West regional; a pretty good set of testing #s - 4.73 forty is only decent for a receiver, but his vertical & broad jump #s were outstanding, and he had a strong bench (15 reps) for a receiver - suggesting he is explosive and strong, and 6', 200 range is decent receiver size - not a slight smurf type. Productive receiver at SFU. Might be around still in the mid rounds ?

UBC's Will Watson also advanced to the Main Combine with some good testing #s; he impressed me with his pass catching skills in that Vanier win run for the T-Birds.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:47 pm
What about Maxx Forde at DT ? - i thought he was quite impressive when he had some playing time there last season - and was puzzled that he didn't get rewarded with more as the season wore on?

But it would be nice to add Julien Laurent to the mix - and agreed he will go early, so might have to use the 1st pick to get him. Another option in the later rounds might be McGlaun (Indiana State) - pretty big load (listed at 310, but only 6' even) - and a starter in NCAA ball.

Not a good draft crop at DT - as opposed to some recent years where there were quite a good number of impressive DTs available.

I think Jake Thomas of the Bombers is still out there as a FA - under-sized DT, but has shown some good stuff for the Bombers and has lots of CFL experience now.

And if the Ticats are potential trade partners - they have some former draft pick DTs - Atkinson, Gill & Vaughn - who are stuck behind Ted Laurent there - maybe one of them could be thrown -in in a draft swap of some sort ?
If read again you'll notice I said "big body DT". I like Forde but consider him to be a bit of a DL tweener. If you consider Thomas to be undersized then Forde is even moreso. Thomas lists 14 pounds heavier on a 3" shorter frame. Forde's 6'5 262 is almost lanky to be playing in the middle of the DL with any regularity.
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:26 pm
OV - 54:40 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:47 pm

If read again you'll notice I said "big body DT". I like Forde but consider him to be a bit of a DL tweener. If you consider Thomas to be undersized then Forde is even moreso. Thomas lists 14 pounds heavier on a 3" shorter frame. Forde's 6'5 262 is almost lanky to be playing in the middle of the DL with any regularity.
Forde was a DE in college ball, and yeah, a bit "under-sized" as the cliche goes to play DT in the pros perhaps; but the CFL features a lot of smaller DTs lately and some smaller 3 technique guys can be quite effective ( i believe Micah Johnson for the Stamps is a former DE and not that big, but considered by some to be a top CFL DT now; Lattanzio with Ottawa is short and 260 range, but a quick, strong bull). Anyhow - again - Forde was IMO quite impressive in his playing time at DT for the Lions last year; and D-lIne rotation seems to be a smart way to go; Forde could play some reps at both DT and DE; Menard can even take a turn inside with his strength. A big load regular DT might be nice to have, but not easy to find. Brooks is simply average at best at DT IMO.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.3downnation.com/2018/03/22/d ... draft-1-0/

Heavy :wink: on the OL picks in Dunk's Draft (mock).

We could use an OL. (Kirby Fabien is the latest OL casualty, as a former first round draft pick. Vaillancourt seems to have backslid after an impressive start. We are playing Hunter Steward out of position as a guard, IMO. OL failings likely to continue IMO, although Figueroa seems like an excellent pickup.)
After all, the Lions allowed the most sacks and quarterback pressures in 2017. -- Matt Baker
And a DL.

And a receiver.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Qman
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:00 pm
http://www.3downnation.com/2018/03/22/d ... draft-1-0/

Heavy :wink: on the OL picks in Dunk's Draft (mock).

We could use an OL. (Kirby Fabien is the latest OL casualty, as a former first round draft pick. Vaillancourt seems to have backslid after an impressive start. We are playing Hunter Steward out of position as a guard, IMO. OL failings likely to continue IMO, although Figueroa seems like an excellent pickup.)
After all, the Lions allowed the most sacks and quarterback pressures in 2017. -- Matt Baker
And a DL.

And a receiver.

unless we get really really lucky, none picks are going to start year 1 even if we take a OL at #3 and we have the open spot at RG. The league is too good now.

Take the best player available and hope he is a good starter years 2 thru 8.
David
Team Captain

I would love for the Lions to take UBC's Dakoda Shepley. I'll stop short of saying he can step into the pro game right away, but I love his strength and versatility (he can play almost every position on the line). CFL draft guru Marshall Ferguson had him ranked as the #1 prospect from the recent combine. At 6'4" and a somewhat generously listed weight of 306 (for my eyeball test anyway), he is likely slightly under-sized for NFL scouts.

Not sure what the future holds for Boyko, but at the very least Shepley would be a great insurance policy in case we lose Steward to the NFL in the next year or two, and could compete right away with Vaillancourt for Fabien's vacated RG position.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Champion

David wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:16 am
I would love for the Lions to take UBC's Dakoda Shepley. I'll stop short of saying he can step into the pro game right away, but I love his strength and versatility (he can play almost every position on the line). CFL draft guru Marshall Ferguson had him ranked as the #1 prospect from the recent combine. At 6'4" and a somewhat generously listed weight of 306 (for my eyeball test anyway), he is likely slightly under-sized for NFL scouts.

Not sure what the future holds for Boyko, but at the very least Shepley would be a great insurance policy in case we lose Steward to the NFL in the next year or two, and could compete right away with Vaillancourt for Fabien's vacated RG position.

DH :cool:

Shepley is one of a very deep O-line crop for this draft - and a bunch of these guys might be able to compete for playing time right away ( i still believe Vaillancourt could become a CFL all-star guard though); Shepley as a possible starting OT down the road is intriguing - a lot of the other guys are more interior O-linemen only i think) - might have to use the 1st round pick to get one of your top 3 graded O-linemen; but this crop is so deep, I still believe they could wait till the 2nd round and still get a very good O-line prospect; and then use the 1st rounder on another position (like DT Laurent) ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Dakoda Shepley signed with the New York Jets as an undrafted free agent, a day after the Jets drafted onetime SFU and Langley Rams defensive lineman Nathan Shepherd in the third round. Shepley was ranked third in the final CFL scouting bureau rankings and will probably slide in the draft. Shepherd went undrafted in his CFL draft year because he had been out of football before enrolling at Fort Hayes State for his final three years of NCAA eligibility.

N.Y. Jets call his name! Ex-Simon Fraser tackle Nathan Shepherd becomes the first Clan player to earn NFL draft status