Throwback Thursday

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

PGSSS74
Rookie

Thanks Squishy. Keyvan Jenkins looking awesome also.
David
Team Captain

For those of you who remember the thrilling 10-6 "Jerry and the Cardiacs" turnaround season in 1977, here is the coach's film from September 10, 1977 (a 33-21 win over the Stamps). Obviously a little grainy and black and white...but at least the play is continuous. :rotf:

Footage from that year is rare, other than Fourqurean famous knockdown of Brock's pass in the Western Semi-Final.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I know I posted this in another thread but I think it also belongs to this Throwback Thursday page as well in light of the fact that AM 1040 and AM 1410 are now silent.

In the 1980's, you must have dialed into then 14 CFUN to hear the BC Lions radio broadcasts and the play-by-play commentator was J. Paul McConnell: https://bcsportshall.com/honoured_membe ... mcconnell/

Did you get a CFUN Sticker along with those of LG73 in which you were supposed to put on your rear vehicle window? If you did, then did you ever win a prize?

祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

CFUN in the 60s. Good times
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
PGSSS74
Rookie

I am reminded of how cool the brain works, in that when I read the name J.P. McConnell, I could immediately hear his voice in my mind.

Tommy Larscheid is another example.

Now, if I only I could remember where I put the car keys . . .
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Not sure if this fits this topic as it's Saturday and the only throwback is the name.
Edmonton Elks sign REC Arland Bruce IV, son of former CFL all-star, after Iowa gambling scandal
By 3Down Staff -December 8, 2023
Like father, like son when it comes to controversy of sorts. One count was where he bet the under and scored the TD that hit the over!!! LOL
Bruce allegedly bet the under on total points in a 2022 game against Northwestern in which he played. He caught two passes for 19 yards and carried three times for 27 yards in the 33-13 victory, scoring the touchdown that caused the game to hit the over.
I think it's way past time for these big universities to pay players like the university pays the students in the cafeteria or working in the gym or as Teaching Assistants.
Gambling is a bit different though.

What Was Behind The Spider-Man Mask Celebration?! Arland Bruce III Tells The Story!
The Rod Pedersen Show
5.15K subscribers

"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Foxhound
Starter

Legendary QB Kenny Ploen passed away earlier this week after a long struggle with Alzheimer's.

He was born in Lost Nation, Iowa and attended high school in Clinton, Iowa. In 1956 he led the University of Iowa Hawkeyes to their first Big Ten Conference championship in 35 years. He was then named an All-American as well as the Big Ten player of the year. The Hawkeyes then defeated the Oregon Beavers 35-19 in the 1 January 1957 Rose Bowl and Ploen was voted the MVP. He was elected to the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame in 1997

Ploen was then drafted by the Cleveland Browns but chose instead to sign with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL simply because the Blue Bombers offered him more money. He played QB and on occasion halfback on offence as well as safety on defence for the Bombers from 1957-67. (Imagine pampered QBs being asked to play both ways these days.) Ploen led the Bombers to six Grey Cup appearances in 1957, 1858, 1959, 1961, 1962 and 1965 all against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats with the Bombers emerging victorious in 1958, 1959, 1961 and 1962. Ploen was named the MVP of the 1961 Grey Cup game in which he scampered 19 yards for the winning TD in overtime. Here's a clip from the game:

Along the way he was the CFL All-Star at QB in 1965 and the Western Conference All-Star at QB in 1957 as well as 1965. Not surprisingly he was the Bombers' all-time leading passer when he retired. But what was surprising was that he was the Western Conference All-Star at defensive back in 1959 when he set a Blue Bomber club record with ten interceptions!

While I never got to see Kenny Ploen play live, I was well familiar with his name from my football cards, the B/A CFL game broadcasts on CKSL Radio in London and the live telecasts of the 1961 and 1962 Grey Cup games on CFPL-TV. Here are some pictures of Kenny Ploen:

Image Image

Samples from the ones I have in my own collection:

1 November 1958 Star Weekly

1958 Topps

1963 Post Cereal

1963 Humpty Dumpty Potato Chips

And here are a couple of pictures of Ploen with legendary Blue Bomber coach Bud Grant:

Kenny Ploen stayed in Winnipeg after his playing career. He joined CJOB Radio as an advertising sales rep and eventually became the sales manager. He also served as a colour commentator on Blue Bombers radio broadcasts.

Ploen was inducted to the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 1975, the Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame and Museum in 1987, the Iowa Sports Hall of Fame in 2002 and the Blue Bombers' Ring of Honour in 2016. He was awarded the Order of Manitoba in 2007.

:mac:
Radically Canadian!
Foxhound
Starter

Gerry "Kid Dynamite" James passed away a few days ago on the very same day as former teammate Kenny Ploen. James was born in Regina, Saskatchewan but attended Kelvin High School in Winnipeg. But in 1952 at the tender age of seventeen(!) he joined the Winnipeg Blue Bombers professional football team as a running back thus becoming the youngest player in CFL post-WWII history. He played at both halfback and fullback, returned both kickoffs and punts and kicked for the Blue Bombers over a ten year stint from 1952-62. (He missed the 1956 and 1963 seasons due to injury.) He played one more year in 1964 as a RB and kicker for the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

He rushed for a total of 5554 yards on 994 carries for an average of 5.6 yards per carry with 58 TDs over those years. His best seasons were 1955 when he rushed for 1205 yards with an average of 6.4 yards per carry and 1957 when he rushed for 1192 yards with an average of 6.1 yards per carry. (The fact that the Blue Bombers had the absolutely sensational Leo Lewis in the backfield as well beginning in 1955 served to limit the number of times James got to carry the ball.) He was the CFL scoring leader in 1957 and 1960 as well. He also set a CFL record with 18 rushing TDs in 1957 which was equalled by Jim Germany of the Edmonton Eskimos in 1981 but wasn't broken until Mike Pringle of the Montréal Alouettes notched 19 in 2000 (although James did it in a 16 game season while Pringle did so in an 18 game season).

He won the Schenley Award as Most Outstanding Canadian in 1954 and 1957 and was a CFL West All-Star in 1955 and 1957. He played in the 1957, 1958, 1959, 1961 and 1962 Grey Cup games with his Bombers emerging triumphant in the last four. Gerry James was inaugurated into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 1981 and the Blue Bombers' Ring of Honour in 2016.

But he also played hockey at the highest levels after the Blue Bomber season ended! He was with the Winnipeg Monarchs when they lost in the Memorial Cup (junior championship) final in 1951 and was then transferred to the Toronto Marlboros with whom he celebrated a Memorial Cup championship in 1955. He then played 154 regular season games from late 1955 to the end of the 1959-60 season for the Toronto Maple Leafs of the NHL as well as 15 playoff games. He scored a total of 14 goals for the Leafs in the regular season and one more in the playoffs. The Maple Leafs had tried to get him to play only hockey but they weren't willing to make up the salary he was getting from the Blue Bombers and he was better at football anyway. The Maple Leafs only valued him as a "policeman" which in more modern parlance is a goon or enforcer. As a result the Leafs had him with the Rochester Americans of the AHL for part of the 1957-58 season and the Winnipeg Warriors of the WHL for the duration of the 1960-61 season.

His most extraordinary achievement though was on 30 November 1957. After playing in the 1957 Grey Cup game at Varsity Stadium in Toronto in the afternoon, he played for the Toronto Maple Leafs that same evening! Hey, he had nothing to celebrate after his team's 32-7 loss to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Maple Leaf Gardens was just over two kilometers away so why not? (He must have packed up his skates for the trip to Toronto.) A fellow does need to earn a living however he can.

Then after the Blue Bombers won the Grey Cup on 28 November 1959, he joined the Maple Leafs who went on to be Stanley Cup finalists that same season in early April (though they lost 4-0 to the Montréal Canadiens).

I don't believe these feats will ever be equalled. All things considered, Gerry James therefore had one of the most extraordinary careers of any professional athlete going back to the very early years of the 20th century.

Here are some of the Gerry James cards and photo pages I have in my collection:

1954 Blue Ribbon

27 September 1958 Weekend Magazine

18 November Star Weekly

1959 Topps

1962 Post Cereal

1960-61 Parkhurst

1960-61 Shirriff

James' desire to play continued to burn even after he was no longer capable of competing at the highest levels. He played amateur hockey for the Yorkton Terriers of the Saskatchewan Senior Hockey League in 1964-65, 1965-66, 1966-67 and 1971-72. Beginning in 1973, he then coached the Yorkton Terriers, the Melville Millionaires and the Estevan Bruins of the Saskatchewan Junior A Hockey League for eight seasons. In 1988-89 he returned to coach the Moose Jaw Warriors of the major junior Western Hockey League.

Here's a book outlining his career:

Gerry James was inducted into the Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame and Museum in 1982 and the Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame in 1994.

:helmet:
Radically Canadian!
Foxhound
Starter

David wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:58 pm
This image shows the various uniforms throughout the years (notice how close to the '64 Lions the current roads look).

Can you repost the images?
David wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:58 pm
Unlike the Vancouver Canucks (1970) who skated onto the ice on October 9, 1970 in gorgeous pacific blue and kelly green uniforms with the skate-in-rink logo....
I thought that the Vancouver Canucks' first logo was horribly boring and that their initial uniform was no better than forgettable (even ugly). I like the Canucks' present uniform though and the team has now really jumped in my popularity rankings. I hope they win two or three Stanley Cups before the Maple Leafs or Canadiens win another one. (I'd also like to see the Senators, Jets and Flames win two or three before the Leafs or Canadiens.)

:popcorn:
Radically Canadian!