New BC Lions Jersey for 2016

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
BC 1988 wrote:Even based on an 11 year old concept, it still looks like it could be relevant now.
11 year old concept, or 11 year old's concept? Sorry if I offend anyone here, but I hate it.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with our current logo. I don't think it needs to be stylized or 'dumbed down' - nor do I think it's keeping younger fans away.

If anything, the 3rds should have been retained to lure younger fans. With his dark visor, Dante Marsh looked like a comic book Superhero, yet there was an homage to the past with the paw logo on the helmets and the dark jerseys.

DH :cool:
Agreed. The gun metal grey jersey had a look that imo, people who are not necessarily hard core fans would still wear around town or in the bars.
Spud387
Champion

David wrote:
BC 1988 wrote:Even based on an 11 year old concept, it still looks like it could be relevant now.
11 year old concept, or 11 year old's concept? Sorry if I offend anyone here, but I hate it.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with our current logo. I don't think it needs to be stylized or 'dumbed down' - nor do I think it's keeping younger fans away.

If anything, the 3rds should have been retained to lure younger fans. With his dark visor, Dante Marsh looked like a comic book Superhero, yet there was an homage to the past with the paw logo on the helmets and the dark jerseys.

History of NFL logos:
http://nj1015.com/see-the-evolution-of- ... fographic/

Check the link and you'll see that the trend (and this isn't just the NFL) is to more aggressive designs and bolder lines for most cases. I am sorry you don't like this styling David, but you also fall into the same category I stated likely wouldn't want a logo redesign.

Whether I am right or wrong on the logo idea, the Lions (along with the CFL) HAVE TO find a way to attract younger audiences or they will go the way of the Dodo bird. The trend across other teams/leagues is the aggressive, vectored styling. The teams that stick to the old style logos are ones that are very popular and have a lot of history to them. The Lions have the history, but not the popularity to make that work.
rb
Champion

Everyone has their own preferences. I loved the mid-1970's retro's that they brought back in 2010 (hence the avatar). Always preferred the burnt orange jersey, silver pants and black helmet rather than the orange-and-white scheme.

For design and visibility reasons I understand why the TiCats changed their logo. But the current one doesn't disturb one wave in my brain, whereas the old version lights a fear every time. That tiger looks like he's coming for me.
CardiacKid
Legend

rb wrote:Everyone has their own preferences. I loved the mid-1970's retro's that they brought back in 2010 (hence the avatar). Always preferred the burnt orange jersey, silver pants and black helmet rather than the orange-and-white scheme.

For design and visibility reasons I understand why the TiCats changed their logo. But the current one doesn't disturb one wave in my brain, whereas the old version lights a fear every time. That tiger looks like he's coming for me.
I loved the 70s uni's too and logo (my avatar is bit of a give-away). The retro jerseys available to the fans didn't seem to have the right shade of orange, not enough "burn" to them.
mws
Starter

I've never been a fan of the Creamsikle/A&W look. Orange is a great colour for accent but not the dominant colour, IMO. My favourite look for the Lions was the circa '63 uniform. Black with burnt orange and white trim. I like our logo as is as well as the paw print. The "dumbed down" logos look too much of an afterthought. To me, there is nothing Classic in that look that will stand the test of time. A nation doesn't change its flag every few years. Find a bold scheme and stick with it. You can always keep adding third jerseys to bring in extra income.
VictoriaFan
Starter

Spud387 wrote:
David wrote:

History of NFL logos:
http://nj1015.com/see-the-evolution-of- ... fographic/

Check the link and you'll see that the trend (and this isn't just the NFL) is to more aggressive designs and bolder lines for most cases. I am sorry you don't like this styling David, but you also fall into the same category I stated likely wouldn't want a logo redesign.

Whether I am right or wrong on the logo idea, the Lions (along with the CFL) HAVE TO find a way to attract younger audiences or they will go the way of the Dodo bird. The trend across other teams/leagues is the aggressive, vectored styling. The teams that stick to the old style logos are ones that are very popular and have a lot of history to them. The Lions have the history, but not the popularity to make that work.
Cleveland Browns logo rocks......not
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

mws wrote:I've never been a fan of the Creamsikle/A&W look. Orange is a great colour for accent but not the dominant colour, IMO. My favourite look for the Lions was the circa '63 uniform. Black with burnt orange and white trim. I like our logo as is as well as the paw print.
My favourite as well hands down.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Any suggestions for personalizing my gun metal jersey. I'm thinking Jennings, Rainey or Hawkins. Thnx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
CardiacKid
Legend

Ballistic Bob wrote:Any suggestions for personalizing my gun metal jersey. I'm thinking Jennings, Rainey or Hawkins. Thnx BB
I'm gonna suggest Jennings, I think he has a potentially longer shelf life with the club.

Myself, I want to go old school with my gun metal jersey but I can't decide between Tagge or Crawford...or maybe Clash.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote:Any suggestions for personalizing my gun metal jersey. I'm thinking Jennings, Rainey or Hawkins. Thnx BB
I'm gonna suggest Jennings, I think he has a potentially longer shelf life with the club.

Myself, I want to go old school with my gun metal jersey but I can't decide between Tagge or Crawford...or maybe Clash.
True old school: The name plate should be "Dirty", the number "30".
LionsLip
Rookie

DanoT wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:

How about Undertaker...as in Bill Baker! :yahoo:
LionsLip
Rookie

I know one thing, I have spent a lot of money on jerseys over the years! I currently have Lulay in home orange, Bighill in away white, and Harris in gun metal. I have had Clermont home orange, Pierce home orange, & Simon in the old black/burnt orange). It burns me though, when after you buy the jersey, the player gets traded or hurt. In my case with the fore mentioned players, who would have thunk! I am anxious to see these new jerseys next year and will probably buy one, but choose the player wisely.... I'm thing Jennings! :rockin:
CardiacKid
Legend

LionsLip wrote:
DanoT wrote:
CardiacKid wrote: I'm gonna suggest Jennings, I think he has a potentially longer shelf life with the club.

How about Undertaker...as in Bill Baker! :yahoo:
The Undertaker did cross my mind....but then I thought of Ray Nettles! Too many greats, not enough jerseys... :juggle:
CardiacKid
Legend

LionsLip wrote:I know one thing, I have spent a lot of money on jerseys over the years! I currently have Lulay in home orange, Bighill in away white, and Harris in gun metal. I have had Clermont home orange, Pierce home orange, & Simon in the old black/burnt orange). It burns me though, when after you buy the jersey, the player gets traded or hurt. In my case with the fore mentioned players, who would have thunk! I am anxious to see these new jerseys next year and will probably buy one, but choose the player wisely.... I'm thing Jennings! :rockin:
Yes, I have dropped a penny or two....but I tell my wife they are easily convertible into cash if I should go before her. :cr:

I have a Reid from the 2011 Grey Cup, a game worn Tyrone Williams in white, a game worn alternate third Glenn Hoople, a Flutie (not from his era but autographed by the man), an autographed Wake in orange, a game-worn without nameplate from 1997 that has a collection of autographs I have collected over the years, a 1998 game-worn with a "Cardiac Kid" nameplate, a Dickensen in black, an Elimimian in gun-metal, a Bighill in white, a Printers in the 1970s orange retro that was reissued, a 1960s retro, a previous alternate jersey in black, orange and white, a knock-off Lulay in orange that looks like crap, and 4 Grey Cup issue jerseys.

I also have a Champion-brand jersey from the 80s with Larry Crawford's number but no name-plate. It is totally cut to fit the shoulder pads, etc. but I am wondering if Champion manufactured gear for the league in the 80s. I thought Raven made the jerseys from that decade?

Oh yeah and one more gun-metal jersey awaiting customization.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
LionsLip wrote:I know one thing, I have spent a lot of money on jerseys over the years! I currently have Lulay in home orange, Bighill in away white, and Harris in gun metal. I have had Clermont home orange, Pierce home orange, & Simon in the old black/burnt orange). It burns me though, when after you buy the jersey, the player gets traded or hurt. In my case with the fore mentioned players, who would have thunk! I am anxious to see these new jerseys next year and will probably buy one, but choose the player wisely.... I'm thing Jennings! :rockin:
Yes, I have dropped a penny or two....but I tell my wife they are easily convertible into cash if I should go before her. :cr:

I have a Reid from the 2011 Grey Cup, a game worn Tyrone Williams in white, a game worn alternate third Glenn Hoople, a Flutie (not from his era but autographed by the man), an autographed Wake in orange, a game-worn without nameplate from 1997 that has a collection of autographs I have collected over the years, a 1998 game-worn with a "Cardiac Kid" nameplate, a Dickensen in black, an Elimimian in gun-metal, a Bighill in white, a Printers in the 1970s orange retro that was reissued, a 1960s retro, a previous alternate jersey in black, orange and white, a knock-off Lulay in orange that looks like crap, and 4 Grey Cup issue jerseys.

I also have a Champion-brand jersey from the 80s with Larry Crawford's number but no name-plate. It is totally cut to fit the shoulder pads, etc. but I am wondering if Champion manufactured gear for the league in the 80s. I thought Raven made the jerseys from that decade?

Oh yeah and one more gun-metal jersey awaiting customization.

While that is quite an impressive collection, your wife would have to be pretty gullible to believe that a bunch of used jerseys are worth anything more than what you paid for them and they are most likely worth less.