TiCats @ Lions -- Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

On my iPad from the Island. Some familiar themes ... Probably got some typos.

Five penalties for BC to none for Ham in Q3

Deep zone allowing the late Q3 Ham TD drive

No blitzing by us on the late Q3 Ham TD drive

Cuthbert asks if BC is playing to protect a lead

And if they are playing it too conservatively

And if they are playing, hoping not to lose, rather than playing to win.

Looked like it in Q3. As we have done repeatedly this year. But Jennings, Harris and Draheim in particular really took it to the TiCats to seal the win in Q4.

Harris showing his value eating the clock and yardage ... That is refreshing.

Harris carrying the rock in Q4 at clutch time. But, squeeze him, Wally. Use your power. Lowball him. Make him knuckle under, or leave.

Great win by our team. :thup:

Haapy for the players, coaches and staff.

Did we see more of Tedford's influence? I think so. Even with his newspaper interview, mentioning Bill Walsh and John Wooden. Tremendoes men and coaches, those two.

Draheim. :thup:

Harris. :thup:

Jennings. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Some quick observations.

Mostly from 2nd half.

Mark Washington started to play his stupid prevent, 3 man rush defense in the 3rd Q. That was mostly evident on the 1 Hamilton Drive in the 2nd half. In some ways the score was a bit flattering. Turnovers really hurt the Cats tonight snuffing out some drives one most certainly on the failed 3rd down gamble. In the 4th the commentators even mentioned that the Lions D went back to some stunting and 4 man pressure even throwing in a couple of blitzes for good measure and behold, the Cats suddenly got bogged down again.

Kahreem Smith. Had to laugh. At one point Suitor says he is playing his best game of the year. That was before 2 offsides and a roughing the passer. At one point, they Lions had 5 penalties in the 2nd half and he had 3 of them. If this was his best game of the season, then he should be benched. Yes he got a sack. I'll give him that but he gave that back in penalties.

Harris stuffed up the middle for most of the game but finally in the 4th they start to run outside the tackles. Finishes with over 100 yards most of which he got in the 4th Q.

Good punting with Leone tonight and good punt cover too for the most part. Big improvement over the last few games.

I notice the sack total for the Lions is starting to creep up the board. Funny how that stat seems to coincide with improved play on D overall but it must be a fluke, Wally says that stat is overrated.

At any rate, a good win, a badly needed win and one of the most complete games we have seen from this team all season. Still lots of room for improvement but tonight they did enough things right to make it stick. Let's see if they can do it again next week against a suddenly struggling Argo's
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I've been watching CFL football, in particular the Lions, for over 50 years. This is the best 6-10 team I've ever seen. There's been a lot of attention paid to their nine blown leads in the second half, six of them in the fourth quarter. I'm sure a lot of us were nervous when the Lions went into the fourth quarter with a 14-point lead in a game they had dominated. They made a statement with the way they closed it out, and it should help their confidence in the stretch run.

The positives in this game were almost too numerous to mention but here are my Top 10, in no particular order:
1. The Lions attacked the perimeter of the defence.
2. The Lions used misdirection in the running game and added other wrinkles, including a QB counter. It didn't always work but it gave the defence something extra to think about instead of stacking the box and run blitzing to shut down Harris.
3. The Lions used a quick snap in short-yardage situations. Instead of making substitutions and allowing the defence to do the same, they quickly got over the ball and ran a QB sneak. It's something I've wanted to see all year and have mentioned on this board. It worked. Kudos to the coaching staff for making the adjustments.
4. The Lions neutralized the Hamilton blitz. The O-line was solid. Jennings was sacked only once, he picked up his hot receivers and wasn't afraid to attack. It wasn't his prettiest game but he had three first-half TD passes and the Lions put up 40 points, so that has to be considered a success.
5. I mentioned it in my introduction but it has to be emphasized: The Lions closed out the game in the fourth quarter and outscored the Ticats 13-0 when the game could have turned against them.
6. Special teams were outstanding. Brandon Banks was frustrated. The cover teams, led by Jason Arakgi with four special-teams tackles, had their pride hurt in recent weeks. They responded with one of their best games of the season, chasing Banks down before he could get anything set up. The Lions outperformed the Ticats on kick and punt returns. Richie Leone outkicked and outpunted Justin Medlock and was successful on his only field goal attempt and on four of five converts. And the Ticats didn't come close to blocking a kick.
7. The Lions won the turnover battle 4-1 against the team that leads the league in turnover margin. Teams that win the turnover battle usually win games. Ryan Phillips had two INTs. Zach Minter forced a fumble that was recovered by Mic'hael Brooks and led to a B.C. TD on the next play. Those are the types of big plays that the Ticats usually make themselves.
8. The Lions won the line of scrimmage. Tommie Draheim was outstanding. The DL got great work from Brooks and Minter in the middle, allowing Menard and Smith in particular to put pressure on the QB. The Lions sacked Mathews five times, while giving up only one sack and the Lions outrushed the Ticats by a 2-1 margin.
9. Andrew Harris was clutch. He rushed for 119 yards, mostly in the fourth quarter, scoring two TDs to seal the game. The Lions wore down the Ticats. I watched the Hamilton bench in the fourth quarter when Harris was carrying the offence. Only two players were standing. They knew they were beaten.
10. The crowd was lively, certainly one of the most lively of the year. The score helped but the players and the fans all seemed energized. The Ticats didn't have much life, despite scoring on the second play of the game. They didn't match the Lions' intensity. The Lions lost the first meeting between these teams by 30 points because they couldn't match the Ticats' intensity. They turned the tables this time, winning by 27.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A must win for the Lions and they came through with flying colours. Things didn't go well in the early going as the Ti-Cats scored on their 2nd play as Eric Fraser missed an open field tackle and allowing the receiver to romp into the end zone. Instead of folding as they were doing in the early part of the season, they regrouped. Jennings was outstanding, throwing 3 majors in the first half. He was able to neutralize the Hamilton blitz with his feet, quick passes and going vertical. Special teams played well and Leone redeemed himself from last week's performance. His placekicking still needs work as he missed another convert. Jeff Tedford's work with the offence was obvious. High tempo, creative plays.
Alputt
Champion

Boom! That's the Lion's I came to see. Better commentary on performance by site veterans so I will leave you to it.

Great time at BC Place, brought paying newcomers to the event who had a fine time...

Team looks rejuvenated.

Hope and fun!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jennings has some magic. His like do not come around often. Appreciate.

Harris. My fave. Hugely underrated IMO.

Draheim. Solid, solid blocker. Agile. Immensely strong.

One can imagine what this D could do with a Chris Jones style attack and philosophy. But very good job tonight.

Very happy we got to see what Harrs can do with a hole to run through. Clutch.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Rammer
Team Captain

Alputt wrote:Boom! That's the Lion's I came to see. Better commentary on performance by site veterans so I will leave you to it.

Great time at BC Place, brought paying newcomers to the event who had a fine time...

Team looks rejuvenated.

Hope and fun!
On the O the Lions gave a charge to the entire team since the insertion of Jennings into the huddle. Like what was mentioned during the game on TSN, receivers bust their hump on their routes now knowing that on any given play the ball could be coming to them.

Rainey needs to get some balls given to him on the O, he is capable of busting for big yards on any play.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Upper Bowl
Starter

Only six commenters so far?? I guess the most complete game of the season just doesn't bring out the posters like those devastating losses!

Thoughts:

The game was closer than the final score would indicate. It just goes to show how important field position, turnovers and sacks are, and how effective the Leos can be when they're on the right side of those in-game battles.

Still way too many penalties on special teams, but the Lions' containment of Banks was great. It was especially nice to see Arakgi have his best game of the year. He's struggled to regain his form since that early season injury.

If he hadn't missed that one convert it would have been a virtually purrfect game for Leone. His punting and kicking off was excellent.

It's tough to fully contain an offence as good as Hamilton's, so I actually thought Washington called a good game on D. But I doubt I'll convince anyone of that here.

Overall, I thought the Lions tackling and physicality was noticeably better than Hamilton's.

That late running surge must have done wonders for Harris and the offensive line's collective psyche. It would be nice to see more run plays with trap and pull blocking the rest of the way.

Rainey's energy and will to keep plays alive seemed infectious with his teammates. Such a fun player to watch!

B.C. FAN is right......the crowd was upbeat and energetic, even despite the Lions' struggles in the second half. Their commitment and patience was justly rewarded.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

A great team effort but Tedford needs to have Mark Washington re-watch the TiCats' Fantuz TD drive before every up and coming game so there can be no doubt in MW's mind that a Prevent D with a 3 man rush does not work. MW must have run that play on D 3 or 4 times on that drive including the Fantuz TD catch. It failed every time. :bang: :bang:

Is it too much to ask MW to stay with a 4 man rush that gets pressure on a QB against 5 blockers? Lions did it consistently all night, yet it looked like Washington wanted to give the game away in the 3rd quarter by going back to rushing 3 and dropping 9 in coverage and failing each time.

On the plus side the Lions had great success with the D line actually stunting and mixing things up.
pennw
Legend

Upper Bowl wrote:Only six commenters so far?? I guess the most complete game of the season just doesn't bring out the posters like those devastating losses!

Thoughts:

The game was closer than the final score would indicate. It just goes to show how important field position, turnovers and sacks are, and how effective the Leos can be when they're on the right side of those in-game battles.

Still way too many penalties on special teams, but the Lions' containment of Banks was great. It was especially nice to see Arakgi have his best game of the year. He's struggled to regain his form since that early season injury.

If he hadn't missed that one convert it would have been a virtually purrfect game for Leone. His punting and kicking off was excellent.

It's tough to fully contain an offence as good as Hamilton's, so I actually thought Washington called a good game on D. But I doubt I'll convince anyone of that here.

Overall, I thought the Lions tackling and physicality was noticeably better than Hamilton's.

That late running surge must have done wonders for Harris and the offensive line's collective psyche. It would be nice to see more run plays with trap and pull blocking the rest of the way.

Rainey's energy and will to keep plays alive seemed infectious with his teammates. Such a fun player to watch!

B.C. FAN is right......the crowd was upbeat and energetic, even despite the Lions' struggles in the second half. Their commitment and patience was justly rewarded.
Good post , Upperbowl . You don't need to convince everyone , not all buy into negative group think here .
Excellent game by the team as a whole , including both our OFFENSIVE coordinator and our DEFENSIVE coordinator . Yes I did see our defence slipping into passive prevent D in the third quarter , but to his credit Mark Washington managed to get out of that funk and went back to the attacking D of the first half in the fourth .
Cortez did an out standing job too being patient with the run by taking what was available and softening the Ticat D with our potent passing attack under Jennings and our now potent receiving core lead by our standout receiver Emmauel Arceneaux .
Manny now had surpassed his production of his first 10.5 games in 4.5 games since Jennings has started . Many were very critical of Manny earlier and wanted him cut , thankfully cooler heads on the Team prevailed to keep him . How would that look having Manny killing us with the Stamps or Esks ? He would have been scooped immediately . He should be re- upped soon .
Hawkins sure has been a great addition .
OL looked good with our best linemen , Tommy Draheim back . I really liked some of those replays where Draheim came up the middle to take out their big DT a few times , to spring Harris , nice work , very impressive .
Likewise our DL is really coming into it's own with our now very stout middle combo of Minter and Brooks, who were able to stop one third down gamble and coming very close to stopping another very short gamble .
One other interesting thing was to see our short yardage done very differently than it was last week , keeping our starting QB in and going with the fast snap ,picking up first down easily. I guess the lesson was learned last week .jennings himself said that it's no problem for him to stay in on 3 rd and short , because he can get hurt on any play in the game And takes a pounding all the time . He sees that as part of the game .
Now we just have to win the rest of the games , as the ALS won their game in convincing fashion too .Commentator Chris Shultz keeps saying If BC gets into the the play offs , in spite of the short comings they have had ! The Lions are the most dangerous Team currently . He'd hate to have to face BC . He's very high on Jennings and the BC offence now .
swervynmerv
Legend

Have to admit, like most people I know, I missed most of the Lions game to turn into the Blue Jays game so I can't really comment on this game in particuclar.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:Have to admit, like most people I know, I missed most of the Lions game to turn into the Blue Jays game so I can't really comment on this game in particuclar.
Yes. I forgot about that game. Saw the highlights of the Jays loss to the Royals.

And it may well explain the relative lightness of the response so far to the Lions win. Good comments already, however. More to come.

Last week was a tough one. Lions lost. Jays lost. And Canucks lost in short order. This week the Leos gave us a beauty. :thup:

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I didn't see any of the Jays series but their elimination allows the Argos to play a home game at Rogers Centre against the Lions on Friday. It will be their first real home game in seven weeks. Their players will probably appreciate that.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Most of the "so called" nay-sayers have been commenting on the fact that since Jennings took over this team and Tedford got involved with the Special teams that this group looked good enough to win a Grey Cup, but those things also coincided with a number of key changes on Defence. One, the Elimimian injury FORCED MW to abandon his utterly STUPID use of one of the league's best and hardest hitting LBs as a freaking safety! Two, after a decade Wally Buono finally went out (mid way through the season) and got an actual CFL Safety and not some cheap imposter! Three, someone on the Lions finally figured out that a 260 lb. LB/DE AMERICAN ROOKIE should not be our nose tackle (which just happened to coincide with an all out criticism of Buono throughout the Vancouver press). Four, that suddenly TWO ACTUAL DTs were inserted together in the Lineup and surprise, surprise, we started to slow down the run game against us! Until this point the brilliant MW was in charge of the WORST DEFENCE in the CFL statistically, last against the run and the pass...plus his PREVENT defence led the league in giving up the MOST long pass plays...go figure! Five, we instituted both a safety and a HB blitz that began netting us on average two sacks a game, forcing opposition tackles to have to keep their heads on a swivel instead of locking down on our DEs, which helped to free up our DEs, especially when Roh was reinserted into the lineup as, get this, a DEFENSIVE END...who'd a thunk it?

Last night in the 4th quarter, instead of going into a complete and predictable shell, Cortez confused the Cats by using Harris to the perimeter of their defence, especially off of mis-direction and guess what, IT WORKED! And of whom did this sudden improvement in Cortez's game planning reflect? Jeff Tedford. Last night I finally saw signs of what Tedford did at Cal for a decade. Multiple formations, misdirection, running on passing downs and passing on running downs, etc. Also last night the Unspecial Teams once again looked energized, did Tedford get heavily involved again after the worst CFL S Ts performance in a decade? Highly likely!

So before the wave of the "ten goody two-shoes" on this site get started (that won't criticize their own corrupt governments let alone their hometown football coaches), about how there are no problems on this football team OPEN YOUR EYES to what has happened and is happening all around you! Tedford on game day had an interview released whereby he admitted that he hoped to allow his Coordinators to coach this year so that he could observe, help out, and get a handle on his team and perhaps more importantly the CFL. Those naive plans have now fallen apart and he has had to "re-evaluate" the reality of his assistants, and has become heavily involved across the board...or who do you think forced the Lions to UNCHARACTERISTICALLY go back to a 4 man front, stunts and blitzes in the 4th quarter after HAM waltzed down field at the end of the 3rd quarter against a passive 2 and 3 man pass rush?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Mark Washington??? I doubt it, unless Wally sent a runner down from his booth to the sidelines telling him to do so! It was Tedford! Who got Cortez to mix the run and pass against HAM in the 4th quarter, attacking their perimeter? Tedford! Who ensured that the Special teams were focused all night and helped to once again spark out return game? Tedford!

Last night this football team was uncharacteristically better in the 2nd half because our Head football coach finally took over his football team! Without this occurring, I have NO DOUBT that we would have ended up losing yet another "heartbreaker" again! As BCFAN has stated (something Joe, Blitz and myself all commented upon after the CGY game when Jennings got into the lineup) this IS the best 6-10 CFL team I have seen in a while, but the SAME can be said for the Als now that they have a QB! I mentioned that the deal that sent Glenn to MTL was going to change their season around and put massive pressure on the Lions. We are NOT out of the woodwork at all because of the remaining schedule. We are AT TOR (who just got spanked and have two very good, healthy QBs) and then home to CGY (who are still fighting for first place, home field advantage and a bye). MTL are at EDM and home to SSK. If the Als can beat EDM next week, then we have to win out! This is what happens when coaches ENABLE their assistants to UNDER ACHIEVE for over half the season before getting involved!

The fact is this, Mark Washington should NOT a CFL Defensive Coordinator as he does not know how to run a system that will compete come playoff time (or for that matter compete during the regular season)...Chuck McMann should NOT be coaching, and the best situation for Cortez as an OC is under the HC that designs the offence and CALLS THE PLAYS, just like Tedford did with Cortez at CAL!!! So enough with all of this "isn't everything peachy" routine and calling out the "nay-sayers" for being negative all season long when there wasn't the slightest reason to!!! Unless all of you are Christy Buono under false identities, you should KNOW BETTER! This season has been an EMBARRASSMENT for the Lion's franchise as they continued to play BORING, PREDICTABLE and STUPID football until such time that our intelligent and creative Head Coach finally decided to wake up from his slumber. Finally last night the 18,000 "faithful" that actually decided to show up to the game were rewarded for their incredible patience as that game could have just as easily resulted in yet another loss had Tedford not taken charge of his football team and played to WIN in the 4th quarter, not lose!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
David
Team Captain

Great points all, but I'd like to give kudos to B.C.FAN for his spot-on Top 10 list to last night's game. Great observations. Loved the quick count on 3rd and short too - a great adjustment (long overdue!). There was also a 3rd and 20 play when Jennings drew the Ti-Cats offside with his cadence (can someone check this kid's birth certificate? I have a hard time believing he's only 23, lol). That might have been the best game Cortez has called all year (certainly Rainey had the team's finest TD this season!).

Jennings just never seems overwhelmed, regardless of the situation. Always 'in the moment.' Love that he trusts his receivers and often throws the ball for them to snag at its highest point, and perfectly placed at the right shoulder. I would think he should now be vaulted to the top of the league's "Rookie Of The Year" conversation. The sample size is rapidly growing.

It was suggested to Drew Edwards (Hamilton Spectator) by a Ti-Cat player that "they took the Lions a little too lightly." Maybe so. But the Ti-Cats were just not able to match the Leos' intensity, and to echo B.C.FAN's point, it was a symbiotic relationship with the fans last night - both feeding off each other. That was the loudest 20K crowd this year (the worst being the Ottawa game on a Sunday afternoon).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar