Leos Focus on Special Teams

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Is it possible to lose a game in which you’re leading 23-9 at the half, one in which B.C. quarterback Jonathon Jennings completed 16 straight passes for three touchdowns, and one in which the defence didn’t allow a TD until 1:54 left in the game?

When Chuck McMann is your special teams coach, anything is possible and no lead is safe.

Tsumura: Lions focus hard on special teams

Critical game: After last week’s last-second loss to Winnipeg, Leos plan on being sharper against Esks

By Howard Tsumura, The Province October 13, 2015 8:30 PM

The B.C. Lions’ special-teams unit is making the time this week for focused sessions even before coach Jeff Tedford gathers the entire roster and takes daily rollcall.

And that shouldn’t be surprising coming off Saturday’s home loss to Winnipeg in which they were bitten by blocks and fooled by fakes en route to a last-second 29-26 loss.

“We’re meeting a little bit extra as players, so that we can go over our stuff to raise any questions anyone might have before we actually get into the meetings,” said Lions special-teams captain Jason Arakgi on Tuesday, as a desperate 5-9 team began preparations for Saturday’s crucial road test versus Edmonton.

“The one thing we’re not going to do is assume,” continued Arakgi, now in his eighth season with the club. “That has been an Achilles heel for us, assuming that everyone knows their responsibility and their job. We’re going to make sure that assumption is gone.”

And just in case you assumedspecial teams were the poor cousin of offence and defence within football’s three-phase world, you got a stark reminder last Saturday that you need the entire triumvirate to triumph.

How, you might wonder, is it possible to lose a game you’re leading 23-9 at the half, one in which B.C. quarterback Jonathon Jennings completed 16 straight passes for three touchdowns, and one in which the defence didn’t allow a TD until 1:54 left in the game?

In this case, special teams.

There was a laundry list of gaffes, but here’s the ones that hurt the most:

— In the first quarter, a fumbled punt return on the Lions’ first touch of the game led to a 13-yard Blue Bombers field goal.

— In the second quarter, unsuccessful PATs following B.C.’s first two touchdowns, the first missed, the second blocked.

— In the third quarter, Winnipeg’s Teague Sherman blocked a B.C. punt that Ian Wild returned 20 yards for a TD. Later in the quarter, a Bombers’ fake punt on third down sustained a drive that ended with a 36-yard field goal.

— In the fourth quarter, on third-and-10, Winnipeg faked a punt with a direct snap to Jesse Briggs for an 11-yard gain that set up the 16-yard TD pass to Clarence Denmark that tied the game 26-26.

That’s 22 points coming either directly or indirectly from B.C.special-teams errors. A handful of critical and very debatable penalties at timely junctures of the second half further hindered the Lions’ cause.

B.C. coach Jeff Tedford could offer the only reasonable response to the breakdowns:

“Work ’em,” said Tedford. “Make sure we’re all on the same page and that we understand situations. That starts with alignments. We were in a bad alignment with one of the fakes. You can’t ever go to sleep on special teams. (We’ve) talked to the team more about the sense of urgency and attention to detail that we need.”

Offence and defence, by the nature of the game, aren’t under the same snap-to-snap microscope. They have an opportunity to build a rhythm. Special teams must perform on every snap.

“And that is the hardest part about it,” said Arakgi. “On special teams you can do 99 things right, and on that 100th time, if you make a mistake, it’s a huge chunk of yardage. For most of the game you can be on point, but a critical mistake at a critical time will really hurt the team. Absolutely, it can feel amplified.

“So our idea of momentum is that we have to look at a broader picture,” he continued, “that it’s a game of field position.”

So now, B.C.’s special teams get to work with the aim of setting the table Saturday in Edmonton. As last week’s loss shows, the results can be either feast or famine.

Jennings to get start against Esks

Veteran quarterback Travis Lulay was on the field Tuesday along with rookie starter Jonathon Jennings as the Lions practised in Surrey in advance of Saturday’s 4 p.m. clash in Edmonton (TSN, TSN 1040).

B.C. coach Jeff Tedford opened his post-practice media session by being asked who his starting QB would be.

“There won’t be any change,” Tedford said.

When asked if keeping Jennings as his starter was based on his fine play over three starts versus the improving health of Lulay, he added: “Well, still a little of both. Travis is probably 90 per cent, but Jonathon is playing as good as any quarterback in the league right now. He’s had some big games and he’s doing a good job. We’ll stick with it because of those reasons.”

News to the den

B.C. has added former NFL draft pick Michael Buchanan to its practice roster. The six-foot-six, 255-pound defensive lineman was a seventh-round pick in 2013 of the New England Patriots, where he played in 18 games over two seasons. In camp with Buffalo this past summer, he was released by the Bills at the end of August.

"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder if Tedford is "helping" out with the Special Teams ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Fans could see the Lions were in a bad alignment on the fake punt that set up the Bombers' only offensive touchdown with two minutes left in the game. So why couldn't the players and coaches see that? In the previous game, fans could see when the Riders were setting up their first onside kick but the Lions didn't make any adjustments and didn't call a timeout, leaving Craig Roh to try to handle a bouncing kick by himself. It all suggests a lack of preparation and awareness by the coaching staff.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The horses are out of the barn, as they say.

One cannot help but think that Tedford got saddled with some culture and staff that are far behind the times.

14 games in, and the fire alarm finally goes off. O'Shea focused on STs vs us. Other teams had success too, but they did not get after it as much. It has been there all year for the taking.

There is a high school coach in the eastern US that could put us to shame with STs. IMO his methods will gradually rise up to the pro levels.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

B.C. coach Jeff Tedford could offer the only reasonable response to the breakdowns:

“Work ’em,” said Tedford. “Make sure we’re all on the same page and that we understand situations. That starts with alignments. We were in a bad alignment with one of the fakes. You can’t ever go to sleep on special teams. (We’ve) talked to the team more about the sense of urgency and attention to detail that we need.”

These comments by Tedford are singling out his ST coordinator as any unit "being on the same page" or "understanding situations" falls to the coordinator. I agree with his take on "bad alignments", but I disagree with "going to sleep". Playing Special Teams demands that you are VERY awake and focused because if you are not you will get clobbered, even if you are defending the play. The Lions ST unit is not falling asleep, they are simply poorly coached and unprepared. Aragki's comments to the Province confirm this as the players are now going to meet BEFORE they gather with Chuck McMann to make sure that everyone is on the same page...isn't that one of the most important aspects for any coach???

As I said in another post, hopefully both Tedford and the ST unit work through their problems together and MAKE THEMSELVES capable of succeeding in every situation.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
CardiacKid
Legend

I suppose a "bright spot" from the loss to the Blue Bombers was the lesson they provided us. The Bombers Special Teams have been problematic all year and costing them points and wins; so much so that Mike O'Shea fired their ST coordinator back in early September and began to right the ship with his own hand on the tiller. You could see the O'Shea modus operandi on the Blue Bomber STs by their willingness to gamble and keep gambling until the Lions could prove they could stop it.

So at least they provide an example of how Special Teams can go from ineffective to effective without completely retooling the personnel. But at this juncture, even if the Lions let McMann go, I doubt there is enough time in the year to make them credible.

A number of posts have asked who the Lions would even hire if McMann was let go. I see Johnny Holland has Special Teams coaching experience on his resume from his time in the NFL albeit for just a year.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:I suppose a "bright spot" from the loss to the Blue Bombers was the lesson they provided us. The Bombers Special Teams have been problematic all year and costing them points and wins; so much so that Mike O'Shea fired their ST coordinator back in early September and began to right the ship with his own hand on the tiller. You could see the O'Shea modus operandi on the Blue Bomber STs by their willingness to gamble and keep gambling until the Lions could prove they could stop it.

So at least they provide an example of how Special Teams can go from ineffective to effective without completely retooling the personnel. But at this juncture, even if the Lions let McMann go, I doubt there is enough time in the year to make them credible.

A number of posts have asked who the Lions would even hire if McMann was let go. I see Johnny Holland has Special Teams coaching experience on his resume from his time in the NFL albeit for just a year.

CK, there absolutely is time to make a change and turn things around because the #1 ingredient to play special teams is PASSION! If you light a fire under these guys, they will make the plays that are needed. And ANY coach should have known to keep the Defence on the field when WPG lined up for that FG in the 4th quarter...I doubt there wasn't a Lion's fan watching the game that didn't think "FAKE" inside of them. So we can blame McMann for that blunder once again (easily), but Tedford should take some blame as well. I was coached to ALWAYS think in terms of TIME, DOWN and DISTANCE because by maintaining this perspective it allows you to predict what is coming from the opposition. Tedford should have known that a S Ts guru like O'Shea was going to run a fake in that situation rather than lining up his offence, because his offence couldn't make plays.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Mike Beamish takes a detailed look at the Lions' special teams preparation for Edmonton. He says the team spent half its practice time on special teams this week.
“We have to make sure guys, who are in position to make certain plays, understand what their responsibilities are,” said special teams captain Jason Arakgi. “There were a lot of breakdowns in the last game. We’ve got to clean up the negatives.”
“I don’t know what B.C. does, but when we struggle, we try to go back to basics,” says Craig Dickenson, the Eskimos’ special teams coordinator.

“I do think B.C. has a good special teams unit. They’ve played us tough on special teams the times we’ve played them before (Aug. 6 and Sept. 26). I think they just got caught on a couple of plays (against Winnipeg). You’ve got to give their players credit. When the Blue Bombers were in a position to make a play, they did.”
Rookie Richie Leone is on his own while he tries to emerge from retrenchment in both his kicking and punting game. Besides having a punt blocked last week, he missed his fifth convert in the past 10 attempts and has failed seven times on the point-after.

In B.C.’s last visit to Edmonton (Sept. 26) Leone shanked a punt that flipped the field, giving the Eskimos a shortened route to the end zone for the winning touchdown.

“Let’s lay it all on (long snapper) Mike Benson,” Leone quips. “Seriously, I need to do a better job of being a leader. What happened last week (for him) was part of a whole number of things that went wrong. We need to get it cleaned up. And we have. I’m not too worried about it.”
It's interesting that Edmonton ST cordinator Craig Dickenson speaks for the Esks' special-teams unit while Jason Arakgi and Richie Leone speak for the Lions. I know the Lions' assistant coaches don't do a lot of interviews but I'd prefer to see some accountability from Chuck McMann.

Lions' special teams look to bump breakdowns
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

All the preparation apparently didn't do much good.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.