2015 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

aklawitter
All Star

It's pretty sad when the only Lions news you can get is the release of Tim Brown.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:Ticats are Hummin' performed by the Arkells.....played after every Ticat TD
OK. Never heard of it (or them). Thanks for the info.
David
Team Captain

Don't forget that there is a live chat with the Lions' brass today (Tuesday) from 11:30am - 12:30am PST. Get your questions in using the hashtag, "AskALion."

For more info click here.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:Don't forget that there is a live chat with the Lions' brass today (Tuesday) from 11:30am - 12:30am PST. Get your questions in using the hashtag, "AskALion."

Among the items to come out of yesterday's session was no longer will the Lions be printing season tickets. Instead, they will be issuing season ticket cards, something their co-tenants already do and I'm sure save a lot of money.
David
Team Captain

That's pretty much all I learned. The rest was just a love-in. :dizzy:

Not knockin' 'em for doing it, but it was more for the casuals.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:....The video is in keeping with what I have been saying for ages: you have to sell the fans on what they're missing from sitting at home on their couches. Thumbs up.
Funny, if you had asked me 5-10 years ago (and even if you hadn't I would have told you anyway! :tease:), the Lions needed to feature the players and their large personalities in their ads. My views have shifted slightly. While fan identification is important, I now think it's even more critical to show crowds of people at BC Place having a good time (the covert meaning,"see what you're missing by staying at home?"). I'm not talking about showing the obligatory shots of guys in the front rows dressed in costumes, pounding drums which, frankly, can be a little intimidating to the unfamiliar. I'm talking full crowd shots of just regular people - people of all ages - in Lions colours and having fun. Like the Ti-Cat ad. Except we're not humming. We're roaring. :roar:

Even testimonial voice-overs from season ticket holders and what going to Lions' games means to them. That would be very powerful over the images.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Don't forget that there is a live chat with the Lions' brass today (Tuesday) from 11:30am - 12:30am PST. Get your questions in using the hashtag, "AskALion."

If they hope for more fan participation they need to clean up on the acoustics.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:

Among the items to come out of yesterday's session was no longer will the Lions be printing season tickets. Instead, they will be issuing season ticket cards, something their co-tenants already do and I'm sure save a lot of money.
That sounds like it will become tougher for STHs to re-sell tickets for any games they have to miss. How is that going to work? I suppose you could give the card to the other person but then you'd have to trouble yourself with getting it back but you wouldn't even do that unless you know the person to whom you're selling.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

sj-roc wrote:That sounds like it will become tougher for STHs to re-sell tickets for any games they have to miss. How is that going to work? I suppose you could give the card to the other person but then you'd have to trouble yourself with getting it back but you wouldn't even do that unless you know the person to whom you're selling.
Technology man. I'm guessing the same as you could last year. You'd go into the "Manage Your Tickets" section of your Lions account and transfer the ticket to the other person. Upon accepting your transfer or sale offer that person would receive and print off a pdf ticket file that would have a different barcode than your file. At the same time the system would no longer recognize that ticket as being valid on your card.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
sj-roc wrote:That sounds like it will become tougher for STHs to re-sell tickets for any games they have to miss. How is that going to work? I suppose you could give the card to the other person but then you'd have to trouble yourself with getting it back but you wouldn't even do that unless you know the person to whom you're selling.
Technology man. I'm guessing the same as you could last year. You'd go into the "Manage Your Tickets" section of your Lions account and transfer the ticket to the other person. Upon accepting your transfer or sale offer that person would receive and print off a pdf ticket file that would have a different barcode than your file. At the same time the system would no longer recognize that ticket as being valid on your card.
Whitecaps went exclusively the card route 3 years ago with their season ticket holders. The Lions had as it an option in 2008 or 09 which we used then but for some reason didn't bring it back.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2013/02 ... -caps-card
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Whitecaps went exclusively the card route 3 years ago with their season ticket holders. The Lions had as it an option in 2008 or 09 which we used then but for some reason didn't bring it back.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2013/02 ... -caps-card
I think even the banjo-picking redtechs of Saskatchewan are using them this year.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall hearing something about that being introduced at some point in the last few years, though I've never had occasion to use it. I think there might also be a transaction fee that either the buyer or seller would incur, but not absolutely sure.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Hambone wrote:
Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall hearing something about that being introduced at some point in the last few years, though I've never had occasion to use it. I think there might also be a transaction fee that either the buyer or seller would incur, but not absolutely sure.
I used it a few times to send my ticket down to my buddy over the last 2 seasons. It's quite slick. I think for the first year there was like a $1.95 fee but last year it was gratis. It would take a couple clicks of the mouse to transfer it. He'd get an email with a link to accept it. When he accepted the transfer I'd get an email advising that he'd picked it up. I haven't tried to sell my seat yet through the system that is available. To me this sort of functionality is almost like a perk for the ST holder because it makes it quite easy to transfer your ticket to a friend. Much easier than the old fashioned way where you had to physically get the ticket into his hands somehow.
David
Team Captain

Are David Braley and Dennis Skulsky running this franchise into the ground?

Jim Mullin seems to think so CLICK TO LISTEN HERE fast forward to the 10:00 mark, and builds a very strong case, among which:

* The lack of buzz and news stories this past off-season
* Lack of accessible ticket price points for families
* Letting their Director Of Marketing (Stef Kalenchuk) go. A quick glance at their website shows they've promoted Clare Taylor, their Game Day Ops Mgr (the person who coordinated the between breaks fan contests like the inflated Telus Ball) to Marketing Brand Manager. Argos anyone??
* The stumbling and bumbling around staging the preseason game at UBC
* Passively accepting the Seahawks' aggressive marketing in this market

Certainly, this is what many of us have been saying over the past little while and that an absentee owner just does not have his finger on the pulse of the marketplace. And when one hears Dennis Skulsky say things like "the best Marketing plan is winning" (while there is a grain of truth to that) it is, frankly, a little disconcerting.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
dupsdell1
Champion

David wrote:Are David Braley and Dennis Skulsky running this franchise into the ground?

Jim Mullin seems to think so CLICK TO LISTEN HERE fast forward to the 10:00 mark, and builds a very strong case, among which:

* The lack of buzz and news stories this past off-season
* Lack of accessible ticket price points for families
* Letting their Director Of Marketing (Stef Kalenchuk) go. A quick glance at their website shows they've promoted Clare Taylor, their Game Day Ops Mgr (the person who coordinated the between breaks fan contests like the inflated Telus Ball) to Marketing Brand Manager. Argos anyone??
* The stumbling and bumbling around staging the preseason game at UBC
* Passively accepting the Seahawks' aggressive marketing in this market

Certainly, this is what many of us have been saying over the past little while and that an absentee owner just does not have his finger on the pulse of the marketplace. And when one hears Dennis Skulsky say things like "the best Marketing plan is winning" (while there is a grain of truth to that) it is, frankly, a little disconcerting.

I Agree with Mullins Statement about how poor the Lions have been marketed I am one that have always loved the Seahawks and the Lions together way since the mid 80s But I can tell you the Seahawks are the biggest football team in Vancouver right know . Especially if they have another season getting back to the super bowl. I see the Lions popularity dipping and dipping to a point were people can not afford it and pricing themselves right out.