Lions 16 - Roughriders 20 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Excerpt from Ed Willes of the Province below:
If that wasn’t enough, the organization is now on the hook for some 33,000 free tickets promised to fans at the game, which, if you use a mean price of $50 per ducat, would equal $1.65 million.

You have to admit, it’s a loose interpretation of the term genius.

But there’s a larger issue involved here, one that speaks to the state of the Lions. Until this year, the franchise never needed a guaranteed win to sell its product. Under Bob Ackles and Wally Buono, the Lions brand was built through a series of successful, exciting teams that earned the support of the community. There was no need for gimmicks, no need for hype. People invested in the team because they knew they’d be entertained.

Time will offer a more complete accounting of its success but, in the here and now, it feels like something has happened between this team and its fan base. The real job before the Lions is rebuilding that relationship, and if they’re wondering how, they can go back to 2003 when Ackles and Buono first joined forces.
Wow ...1.65 million....that's a costly guarantee that didn't work out.

The rebuilding relationship with the fans might start with Benny not making any more dum comments that he doesn't care what people think because he has the whistle.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The Lions started the season with Khari Jones as a rookie OC so I was more than willing to cut him some slack early in the season but now 9 games in an the O in the first half was suspect and in the second half was dreadful. As ballhawk alluded to, what ever happened to Khari Jones the QB that liked to go long?

PLEASE, please dump the 6 receiver set. With a naked backfield when does the QB ever get a chance to look for and throw to the 4th, 5th or 6th receiver? Sure the downfield WR can be a blocker after the catch, resulting in extra yards, but first there has to be the time and opportunity to throw and make a completion.

As far as the Lions rookie DC goes, Washington is a former DB who seems to be willing to sacrifice run D in order to bolster the pass D. He needs to use his LBs as run stoppers near the LOS, not 5 or 6 yards downfield. We were promised a more aggressive style D than during Stubler's time here but we are not seeing it. The Lions D needs to pressure the opponent, force mistakes, penalties and turnovers or they won't be going to the playoffs.

I hate it when coaches announce that they are going to play their style of play against an opponent and impose their will. This usually means that they are not willing or not capable of making changes and adjustments as games and the season progresses. I'm NOT saying that Coach Benny has made such a statement, I'm saying that he has his team playing that way. Just sayin.
leo4life
All Star

Great post game breakdowns by Joe,Blitz Mexico amd all the regular posters on here thank you...Lions offense is looking worse then Chapball again & the "aggressive get after some people defense" Washington talked about all off season is more conservative then when Wally was on the sidelines...what happens if this team doesnt make the post season? Still a awhile away but they will need help and cant afford many more losses after labor day...playoff type football rest of the way and Benny & staff appear in over their heads imho
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Memo to Khari Jones:

Please get rid of Chapdelaine's playbook unless you want to have a career in coaching university football.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Scoring sells tickets. At my age, I look for solid play. Could be defence. Could be Hunter Steward pass blocking. Could be Chris Jones blitzing. I still like great running plays, individual effort and the passing game though.

Was a time, for many years, when I could barely watch a team play that I rooted for. Too much emotion involved. That time seems to have passed. Now I can watch, and it is fun. Even enjoyed last night's game.
I'm with you, Joe. I've refrained from posting or reading this thread because I wasn't at the game and have watched only the first half so far on PVR, although I caught most of it live on TV. I found it to be be an intense and highly watchable game, as did an average of over 1 million TV viewers, apparently. I don't need to see offence to appreciate the game within a game, even if that involves appreciating how the Riders neutralized the B.C. running game and how the Rider O-line controlled B.C.'s front 7 and opened holes for their running backs in the fourth quarter when everyone knew they were going to run. This one went entirely as expected. The key to the game was to win the line of scrimmage, and the Riders dominated. The rushing disparity, 228 yards to 56, has been pointed out several times in this thread. That's all you need to know.

Rather than rehash the solid analysis of others, I'd rather look ahead to the second half of the season. The Lions have added some top-notch personnel this year in Alex Bazzie, Josh Johnson, Ronnie Yell and Hunter Steward. They've found a way to get Logan, Harris and Brown in the lineup together, and that has shown that it can pay big dividends. They survived the first half of the season with Kevin Glenn at QB and can expect more versatility in the offence in the second half of the season with an apparently healthy Travis Lulay at the controls. And their inexperienced coaching staff will hopefully learn from the experience they gained in the first nine games.

One positive but underappreciated development from Sunday's game was that the Lions won the season series with the Riders, whom they trail by just two points with the Riders having a game in hand. Whatever happens in the second alf of the season, it will be interesting, especially to students of the game.
Blitz
Team Captain

Some interesting stuff coming out of Leo Land

Travis Lulay wants to know who will be the starting quarterback against the Red Blacks and he wants to know early and with definition regarding the role.
What the team’s highest-paid player needs to know is whether it’s his turn to figure out how to make that happen.
“I think that will help us, to be fair,” said Lulay. “I’ve said a couple of times that it is more clearly defined internally. We all had a good understanding the last few weeks. But moving forward, I think there will be a clear definition.” Province
According to the Province, Benevedes said he will comply with Lulay's request. Benevdes told reporters one thing and Lulay another regarding Lulay's role for the Riders game.
Benevides said he will comply, indicating he will let the pivots know Sunday when the club returns to work from their first of two bye weeks this season.

“I think, obviously, the situation is different moving forward in terms of my expectations,” Lulay said Monday.

“Will I handle it differently? I don’t think I will. Who am I to be more worried about me and my story than this team? I understand that and our room understands that. I hope that comes across as genuine.”

What didn’t come across as well was Benevides’ use of his quarterbacks against Saskatchewan. The coach told reporters beforehand he was going to go on the feel of the game, despite having told Lulay on Saturday there was little chance he would play.

Glenn produced reasonable completion statistics (15-of-21, 146 yards), but was five-of-eight for 34 yards in the second half, went 3-for-12 on second down and six yards or longer, and had 10 two-and-outs. They were numbers that cried out for a change.

“Kevin was making good throws and decisions, and his completion rate was high. There was no need to make a switch,” Benevides said, defending Glenn despite the fact he generated just two field goals Sunday and effectively produced just one touchdown to Emmanuel Arceneaux in the previous start against Toronto.

Would Benevides change his mind with a second chance? “I wouldn’t have changed that at all,” the coach said.
Lulay will likely get the start after the dismal offensive performance against the Riders, the fact we are playing the Red Blacks, a good game for Lulay to be given the start and the fact that Glenn is hurting and getting x-rays.

Some other notes

Westerman, who refused to sign a new contract in the off-season was ready to sign just before his assault charge and he is working community hours to avoid the charge. Westerman, who was late for walk through and didn't play on Sunday may or may not play next Sunday either. The Lions may be trying to trade him now rather than sign him.

Our Leos have no interest in Alex Hall, who was a recent NFL cut, dispite his sack record..nor does it appear as if the Lions are interested in Weston Dressler, who was also cut. A number of teams are reportedly in the running for Dressler, including surprisingly the Red Blacks....who would have to open their purse big time to get him.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lulay14
prospect

Glenn should have been replaced earlier. The offense wasn't moving the chains. If not for Tim Brown it would have been a blowout
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What didn’t come across as well was Benevides’ use of his quarterbacks against Saskatchewan. The coach told reporters beforehand he was going to go on the feel of the game, despite having told Lulay on Saturday there was little chance he would play.
Lions were 2 and out most of the second half and Benevides still stayed with Kevin Glenn. He really doesn't have a feel of the game
cromartie
Hall of Famer

.what happens if this team doesnt make the post season?
They already lost close to $1 million on the guarantee gimmick. Lose out on playoff money and the coaching staff is fired. Simple as that.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

cromartie wrote:
They already lost close to $1 million on the guarantee gimmick. Lose out on playoff money and the coaching staff is fired. Simple as that.
And replace the staff with whom? Show me some viable candidates. Benny might be on the hot seat, but again, who is out there as a legit candidate to replace him?

Fire everybody so we can go through another growing pain period? We need to give Khari and Mark more than a season to get acclimated to their new positions. Continuity... The "Fire/Cut/Release X" camp is hilarious...
Blitz
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
They are estimating the cost at $1.65 million.

Our Lions go out and grovel for corporate and business community support and then throw this kind of money away. Can you imagine the different marketing and public relations strategies that could have utilized instead. Crazy!! :hypno:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:Some interesting stuff coming out of Leo Land

Travis Lulay wants to know who will be the starting quarterback against the Red Blacks and he wants to know early and with definition regarding the role.

According to the Province, Benevedes said he will comply with Lulay's request. Benevdes told reporters one thing and Lulay another regarding Lulay's role for the Riders game.

Lulay will likely get the start after the dismal offensive performance against the Riders, the fact we are playing the Red Blacks, a good game for Lulay to be given the start and the fact that Glenn is hurting and getting x-rays.
Thanks for the post, Blitz.

Benny goes by whim and puts Lulay in early for a series. Dunigan and the TV guys criticize the move, suggesting it can upset the guy starting, Kevin Glenn. Benny says maybe those guys will get the whistle sometime, and that he will do it his way.

Then Benny seems to do an about face, and says they will ride Kevin, unless something happens.

Now it seems the communication, and the decision about who starts is unclear.

Lulay wants to know sooner who will start against Ottawa.

Benevides says he will comply.

Do we have a quarterback controversy? Not likely with these two professionals, Lulay and Glenn.

Does Benny have a clear plan? Not so sure. Is he winging it?
What didn’t come across as well was Benevides’ use of his quarterbacks against Saskatchewan. The coach told reporters beforehand he was going to go on the feel of the game, despite having told Lulay on Saturday there was little chance he would play. -- Lowell Ullrich
Lulay appears to be healthy. Was it not the understanding that the job is his, when he is healthy?
In discussing his team’s 2-3 home mark and 5-4 record overall at the break, Benevides said he doesn’t anticipate making personnel changes. He will, however, decide on a quarterback and make his decision clear, he said.
So Lulay is healthy, and Benny still has not decided who starts?
What the team’s highest-paid player needs to know is whether it’s his turn to figure out how to make that happen.

“I think that will help us, to be fair,” said Lulay. “I’ve said a couple of times that it is more clearly defined internally. We all had a good understanding the last few weeks. But moving forward, I think there will be a clear definition.”
"But moving forward, I think there will be a clear definition.” -- Travis Lulay.

Doesn't sound all that clear as of yet. I am tending to agree with Dunigan on this. No back and forth, with things uncertain, a little bit of this, a little bit of that. When it is Lulay's time, make it his team once again. Until it is Lulay's time, don't plant doubts in Glenn's mind.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Lulay missed TC, followed by 6 weeks on the IR and then he gets less then 10 minutes playing time in the past two games before likely needing to go for 60 minutes against Ottawa. This NOT the way to get a QB or anyone else into game shape. With all the pathetic 2 and outs in the second half and no attempt to change things up by inserting Lulay has got me questioning Coach Benny's handling of his QBs and his game time management. Is Benny in over his head? :shock:
MexicoLionFan
Legend

DanoT wrote:Lulay missed TC, followed by 6 weeks on the IR and then he gets less then 10 minutes playing time in the past two games before likely needing to go for 60 minutes against Ottawa. This NOT the way to get a QB or anyone else into game shape. With all the pathetic 2 and outs in the second half and no attempt to change things up by inserting Lulay has got me questioning Coach Benny's handling of his QBs and his game time management. Is Benny in over his head? :shock:
Clearly yes...everytime he opens his mouth in public, he usually puts one of his feet in it...the Lions have the best, deepest talent in the league and we are 5-4 overall and 2-3 at home, with all 3 losses coming to Western Div opponents, where we did NOTHING in the 2nd half. There is a problem, but not with the players. Benny is not an X's and O's guy so there is NOTHING he can do to help Jones...and he was never a great DC so there's not much he can tell Wash...Washington runs the same, laid back, lax D that Benny tried to run, until Stubler came in and turned things around for him. A guy like Stubler KNOWS and he can actually help others. like an embattled OC with advise, there is NO ONE on this staff who can do this...when I say that things will only get worse, it doesn't come from pessimism, it is rooted in observation. Unless Wally steps back in ("every time I try to get out, they pull me back IN") this thing will get ugly and here's why...the PLAYERS KNOW THEY ARE A TALENTED BUNCH...you can hear the anger/frustration in their comments already...if this goes on another few weeks there are going to be select players that are going to snap post game and tell the media what they really think and it won't be pretty.

And again, so much of this is on Jones right now, but Washington had NO BUSINESS blowing that lead for us at home in the 4th quarter with our vaunted Defence...he could have and should have laid waste to the SSK's rookie QB...he didn't because either he doesn't KNOW or because he doesn't TRUST, its one of the two...and Benny was NOWHERE near him on the sidelines offering help...

Offensively, we have found a way to get Harris, Logan and Brown into the lineup at the same time...our QBs are Kevin Glenn and Travis Lulay...Emmanuel Arceneaux is one of our receivers...we have a CDN at LT playing at an all star level...what the F$CK is the problem here? It isn't rocket science...the CFL field is 55 yards wide...we are allowed pre snap motion...the defence lines up a yard off the ball and don't know our snap count. There is such an advantage in the CFL game to the offence it isn't even funny...All the defences around the league (including the RedBlacks who are a good group) are using PRESSURE to slow down offences, all EXCEPT OUR DEFENCE. And to counteract the blitz we have Andrew Harris and Stephan Logan...last game they ran the ball a total of 9 times for 12 yards...the 12 yards isn't the stat you should be focusing on, the 9 times IS!

There is NO LEADERSHIP on this coaching staff because NO ONE on it ultimately sees the big picture and thus cannot direct us anywhere...right now Wally would honestly be better off having Benny sit down this bye week with Blitz, Joe, BCFAN, Cro, Rammer, Sammy, Dano and Hambone and coming up with a new game plan for next week than with anything else...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
JohnHenry
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
Lions were 2 and out most of the second half and Benevides still stayed with Kevin Glenn. He really doesn't have a feel of the game
I thought K. Glenn played very well, especially in the first half. There was no way they could have pulled Glenn out of the game much earlier. The teams were hammering each other tooth and nail and you normally don't pull out your starting pivot and gutsy team leader, to put in a stone-cold QB in the heat of battle. Glenn was throwing pin-point darts in the 1st half, no QB could have done any better considering the defence he was facing. In hindsight it's easier to say they should have pulled Glenn but for all we know a cold Lulay might have done worse and destroyed any chance we had in winning a very close game.

The failure I saw was the inability to incorporate our 3 stellar RB's more effectively in the attack. Why was Logan even dressed if they were only going to give him one carry? The OC perhaps should have conjured up some old-school Frank Clair twin tight-end formations with 2 RB's + FB (albeit with no Russ Jackson). The Rough Riders would do a double or triple reverse on virtually every play, which confused and froze the defence. One of Harris/Logan should have moved to the slot on every play, replacing one of the dud receivers the QB mostly ignores. Why S. Gore got more rushing attempts than Logan + Brown is hard to fathom. :roar: