Game Day Thread - Lions vs. Alouettes

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Still early in the season but it's an important game for the Lions. Would like to see Benevides act like a Head Coach and focus on what's going on the field instead of being a cheerleader. Montreal will be bringing the blitz. Hope Khari Jones have the answers to counter that. Will be keeping an eye on the play of the offensive line especially the new left tackle Ryan Cave
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Montreal's D has lived by the blitz for a decade, and nothing is going to change that tonight...and why do so many teams blitz in the CFL? Because in a game with such a large field, with pre snap motion and oodles of talent and speed on offence, the ONLY way most defences can keep the score from exploding on them is to disrupt what the offence is doing...and as the entire league (sans the Lions) has adapted to aggressive defensive postures, the results have been demonstrative...for the last couple of seasons, offensive production is down, and people actually began to call the CFL a defensive league...and the teams that have the most success over the past 2 years in the CFL (arguably SSK, CAL, TOR) ALL have developed offensive schemes that run the football and specifically design plays to minimize the blitz. We haven't..and more than anything else, it explains our DROP in dominance over the past two seasons...that, and a group of beat up QBs.

All off season I said the same thing, we needed a new OC who could come in, shore up our OLine and protect the QB by aggressively running the football and audibling against the blitz...in game one that didn't happen...and with 4 INTs (and I mean 4 HORRIBLE INTs) we still almost won that football game against a good team. There is hope, but until we have an OLine that can explode off the line and create holes in the running game, it isn't. Now can you blame Khari Jones for that? Khari did NOT have a good 1st game as OC, but the OLine is NOT his providence, it is coached by a stubborn dinosaur, and the players available to coach are the responsibility of the GM...you simply CANNOT go into a new season with a rookie LT (WHO WAS INJURED) and NOT have at least TWO backup options...to do this is not just reckless, its stupid...and that falls on the HC, who needs to simply tell his GM, either get me a couple of healthy, capable LTs or I'm done. But that doesn't happen, because Benny is Wally's illegitimate child...and thus this ridiculous pattern of mediocrity for the Lions continues...

Average to lousy S Ts because Wally defiantly stands by McMann...inadequate OLine play, tons of injuries, and until lately no development of young prospects all from Dorazio, but he stays because of Wally...a HC with NO experience at the position, who NEVER succeeded at any one positional coaching job, and a rookie DC with no experience, but who is a devout Christian, like Wally. Now, who knows, maybe MIRACULOUSLY all of our coaches will respond and have great seasons...who knows...but history tells us that they won't and it may very well also reveal to us the fact that changing 2 coordinators wasn't enough, and that's why I said giving Benevides an extension after he accomplished NOTHING was insane. Our 2012 regular season record was due to a GC champion team returning intact, with veteran players, and staying mostly healthy. But in our 1st playoff game, at home, we were steamrolled and out coached. Benevides hasn't shown ANY indicators that he is going to make it as a champion HC, and let's face it, that's why they play the game...and I'm not saying that MB can't be a GC champion HC, but you don't extend him until he shows it. Wally did that because MB is his friend, it wasn't business...and this is from a guy who has been as ruthless a businessman that the CFL has ever seen.

So, let's hope that our 2 new Coordinators have learned from their week 1 gaffs, and are ready to go tonight with great game plans...Washington needs to blitz early and often so that MTL O doesn't get any rhythm going and stays frustrated...and Jone's needs to develop Time of Possession, either by running the ball or the quick passing game...these will negate their blitz as well. So again, let's watch tonight and see just how good our coaching staff is...because we all know our talent is as good as anyone else's in the league.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
SammyGreene
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote: All off season I said the same thing, we needed a new OC who could come in, shore up our OLine and protect the QB by aggressively running the football and audibling against the blitz...in game one that didn't happen...and with 4 INTs (and I mean 4 HORRIBLE INTs) we still almost won that football game against a good team. There is hope, but until we have an OLine that can explode off the line and create holes in the running game, it isn't. Now can you blame Khari Jones for that? Khari did NOT have a good 1st game as OC, but the OLine is NOT his providence, it is coached by a stubborn dinosaur, and the players available to coach are the responsibility of the GM...you simply CANNOT go into a new season with a rookie LT (WHO WAS INJURED) and NOT have at least TWO backup options...to do this is not just reckless, its stupid...and that falls on the HC, who needs to simply tell his GM, either get me a couple of healthy, capable LTs or I'm done. But that doesn't happen, because Benny is Wally's illegitimate child...and thus this ridiculous pattern of mediocrity for the Lions continues...
Always a good read MexicoLionFan that brings a few laughs too. The Lions situation at left tackle is embarrassing. First you push your 3-starter into retirement then by week #2 you are out of options after your one and only option on the depth chart gets hurt. Is this community minor football or a professional league with expanded and practice rosters?

At least we got plenty of import kick return candidates with room for 1 on the roster. :sigh:
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Thanks Sammy, I always look forward to your posts and wish you would post more often...and a good point about kick returners on the practise roster...that doesn't help at LT, arguably the 2nd most important position on the field...the league money went up, the new CBA benefited the team's bottom lines, the active roster went up, the practise roster went up...what gives???

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Having Divine intervention on your side is a good thing. :wink:
MexicoLionFan
Legend

It can't hurt...

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

No surprises here: Lion scratches, per Herb Zurkowsky, are Arceneaux and Adelolu. The only change to the 44-man roster from last week is Cave at LT for the injured Ramsey.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Let's get ready to rummmmmmmble......
JohnHenry
Champion

I guess we now know why Troy Smith is so inaccurate, he said on the pregame show he deliberately overthrows the receivers (lessening the chances of the pass being intercepted.) :cool:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:I guess we now know why Troy Smith is so inaccurate, he said on the pregame show he deliberately overthrows the receivers (lessening the chances of the pass being intercepted.) :cool:
Well that is certainly one way of decreasing your chances of being intercepted. Hope he does it again tonight.
Spud387
Champion

Oh look, an interception. So much for last week being an anomaly
Last edited by Spud387 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Damn interception by Kevin Glenn for Als touchdown. :bang: :bang:
swervynmerv
Legend

What the heck is wrong with Kevin Glenn! Is this his first year in the CFL?
almo89
Legend

I noticed last game that the edmonton D line trying to knock the ball down at the line on several occasions. Then today Glenn gets intercepted at the LOS.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's early, but defences seem to know exactly what B.C.'s offence is going to do.