Bo Levi is the Guy in Cowtown

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dpoe
Starter

http://goo.gl/vponqZ

Wonder how this will play out with Tate?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I kind of wonder about that myself.

Seems the safest way to have gone in my view would be to go to Tate as he only lost the starter role last year due to injury.

If preseason vs BC is any yard stick.... it seems they could have a QB controversy. Both Hufnagel and Dave D believe in one QB only yet they had a lot of success last year with 3 so I dont get that thinking. Same with Esks... picked Reilly but he deserves to be no. 1 more.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I don't see greatness in either of them...it was a huge mistake by CGY to protect Tate and not Glenn, but hey, we will take it.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
CoachMatt
prospect

To be honest, while watching the game Friday night, Bo Levi was the worse of the two QB's. I didn't understand why they never put their third stringer in sooner (#20). I got home and figured it out, they wanted to see who could rebound better between both of them, and neither ended up doing so.

Tate deserves the job based on resume with the club and the simple fact that losing the job because of injury seems unfair. Calgary's misfortunes though, are our weekday victories.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Give it three weeks. It will change.

To be fair, Mitchell did look like a good prospect last season. And he may well work out. I understand the decision because you may want the more experienced guy to step in as your ace in the hole. I also get why you would keep Mitchell over Glenn, so I'm not going to second guess that on Calgyra's behalf.

That said, this will ultimately be Tate's job, I think.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Choosing Mitchell over Tate ...

I can't help but think part of it has to with Tate's hotheadedness. And I expect part of it has to do with his injury record.

I think Hufnagel and Dickenson disregarded the performances vs the Lions. I agree that Tate looked a little bit better.

Hufnagel in TC said the job competition was open. But it doesn't seem like it truly was.

And I think there is little doubt that they will both play. And this decision does not mean it will stay that way throughout the season.

I agree that they made a pretty big mistake letting Glenn go. He settles an entire team down. And Calgary does not look the same without him. At least so far. With all their talent, I expect they will start to look pretty good. And these two guys are very capable. They just looked rather poor against us.

Just IMO ... just throwing/kickiing the ball around.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
JohnHenry
Champion

Bo Mitchell had not a bad game last year in Wpg, going 29 of 33 (88%) with 3 Td - 0 Int. He's normally a very accurate passer but struggled against the Lions last Friday, making bad decisions and poor throws...ditto with Tate. Perhaps the pass rush had something to do with that?

Mitchell has the potential to become the top QB in the CFL and I'd take him over Tate, Willy, Collaros or T. Smith.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

MexicoLionFan wrote:I don't see greatness in either of them...it was a huge mistake by CGY to protect Tate and not Glenn, but hey, we will take it.
I'm pretty sure that the Stamps protected Mitchell in the expansion draft and as such imo better addressed the long term needs of the Stamps. They have enough talent to let the best QB right now in Glenn get drafted and still win now and in the future with Mitchell. Tate is too much of a hot head for me.
Rammer
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:I don't see greatness in either of them...it was a huge mistake by CGY to protect Tate and not Glenn, but hey, we will take it.
I'm pretty sure that the Stamps protected Mitchell in the expansion draft and as such imo better addressed the long term needs of the Stamps. They have enough talent to let the best QB right now in Glenn get drafted and still win now and in the future with Mitchell. Tate is too much of a hot head for me.
Interesting synopsis. Calgary should have the surrounding cast to ease in either QB and still make the playoffs, but that does place more pressure on Cornish to move that O and also allows the D's to cheat a little more than when Glenn was running the show. I do think that the Stamps have lost some magic in their receiving corps as well, they seemed to lack a goto receiver or two.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The Stamps have their go to receiver back off the IR in Nik Lewis. However he now looks like Extra Thick Nik so a DE should be able to cover him.

...upon further consideration, he has never been a deep threat so an extra 10 or 20 lbs. won't stop him from being a short yardage threat and a load and a half to bring down.
Rammer
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:The Stamps have their go to receiver back off the IR in Nik Lewis. However he now looks like Extra Thick Nik so a DE should be able to cover him.

...upon further consideration, he has never been a deep threat so an extra 10 or 20 lbs. won't stop him from being a short yardage threat and a load and a half to bring down.
Lewis will be on the sidelines more, as his shape isn't going to allow him to continue to run routes for entire drives. It will be interesting to see what he does this season. His rotund shape isn't going to make it easy to wrap him up, even Santa would have a ton of trouble wrapping him up this year.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

IMHO, the decision to go with Mitchell was predicated on the injury history of Tate.......starting Tate puts him at higher risk to re-injure which would leave them with only one experienced QB for the remainder of the season.....using Tate "only as required" minimizes that risk and gives them a much better chance at having 2 healthy experienced QB's for the majority of the season. Very similar to the Buck Pierce situation.
Lloyd
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote: His rotund shape isn't going to make it easy to wrap him up, even Santa would have a ton of trouble wrapping him up this year.
You don't wrap him up, you take out his legs...... like Torri Williams did last game. Besides, with that xtra fat ass, there's no way he'll be jumping over anybody.
Lloyd
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote: Lewis will be on the sidelines more, as his shape isn't going to allow him to continue to run routes for entire drives. It will be interesting to see what he does this season. His rotund shape isn't going to make it easy to wrap him up, even Santa would have a ton of trouble wrapping him up this year.
Rotund? Kory Banks called it right. Nik Lewis is fat. FAT.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Rammer wrote: Lewis will be on the sidelines more, as his shape isn't going to allow him to continue to run routes for entire drives. It will be interesting to see what he does this season. His rotund shape isn't going to make it easy to wrap him up, even Santa would have a ton of trouble wrapping him up this year.
Rotund? Kory Banks called it right. Nik Lewis is fat. FAT.
Rotund is the correct wording, last I saw him hurdling DB's at Banks description, perhaps not so much this year, or he may end up like Fred Stamps, short one ball.