Game Day Thread Stamps vs. Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

First home game of the year albeit an exhibition. Anxious to see whether Adekolo and Antolin can build on their last week's performance against Edmonton. I expect Benevides will give his projected starters 1/2 to 3/4 of the game.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I don't expect to see much of Antolin. The Lions will want to just quiety slip him onto the practice roster. He won't make the active roster. The more interesting battle in the backfield will involve Lochard, Antwi and Bourassa. Whoever can best block and tackle on special teams will make the roster.

The main action will be at receiver. Adekolu and Kito Poblah will start as the two wideouts, and it looks like the Lions are hoping to keep non-imports at both positions. Whitman Tomusiak and Marco Iannuzzi are also contesting wideout spots.

In the slot, Korey Williams again starts at ranger, with Courtney Taylor again in the the opposite slot position he held last year, at least until Emmanuel Arceneaux returns from his broken hand. The interesting twist is that Ernest Jackson moves inside and is listed behind Williams on the depth chart although they'll likely split reps. There's only room for one of them. I got the sense in Kamloops that the Lions' national (non-import) talent is just as good, if not better than Jackson. He may be the odd man out again this year and may have a tough time holding his spot on the 46-man roster when Arceneaux returns.

S.J. Haidara and Shawn Gore are solid at the third slot position and whichever one of them is on the field should be more involved in the passing game this year.

On the defensive line, David Menard and Steven Doege are battling for a roster spot that will be determined largely on their special-teams play. But if either of them shows enough to become a regular in the rotation, the Lions gain an import spot to be used elsewhere.

In the secondary, Tony Burnett and Torri Williams are battling for one spot on the game-day roster, with T.J. Lee and John Hardy-Tuliau chasing them. Watch Keynan Parker when he comes in at field corner. He opens a lot of possibilities for international DBs elsewhere in the secondary, with J.R. LaRose on the sidelines.

The biggest question mark for the coaches seems to be the left side of the offensive line. Andre Ramsey has been impressive whenever I've watched him but camp latecomer R.J. Dill and fellow international Nyere Aumaitre are still in the mix. The real problem is at left guard. With Kirby Fabien, Hunter Steward and Cody Husband still not ready for full-time action, the Lions are left with rookie T-Dre Player, 2013 draft choice Cam Thorn and Aumaitre as the contenders. I've been impressed with Player but this game is a big test for everyone on the left side of the line.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

New perspective for me. I gave my regular season ticket (Row 3 Section 218) to my brother. So, I'm sitting on the home side of the field, Section 441 so I can sit with my girlfriend and a friend. Its just the preseason game so I thought I'd sit on the home side of the field.

I think it will be an interesting battle between the two potential Calgary starters. Guess we'll see.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Interesting to see Bell as the Stamps starting safety and will have to keep an eye on him tonight.
Stamps similar to BC with just one starting Canadian on defence (Mace). The other 6 are 4 on the o-line (even with Tsoumpas' sudden retirement) and an all-Canadian backfield with Cornish and Cote. Mitchell listed as the starter ahead of Tate.
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:New perspective for me. I gave my regular season ticket (Row 3 Section 218) to my brother. So, I'm sitting on the home side of the field, Section 441 so I can sit with my girlfriend and a friend. Its just the preseason game so I thought I'd sit on the home side of the field.

I think it will be an interesting battle between the two potential Calgary starters. Guess we'll see.
I think that it should be touted as a premium preseason game, they don't get much better. Stamps and Lions don't have much like for one another, jobs are on the line, and more regulars will amp up the play. Glenn playing his former teammates with something to prove, and Shell, Bell and Stubler wanting to let the Lions know that they made a mistake. Go Lions Go!
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
notahomer wrote:New perspective for me. I gave my regular season ticket (Row 3 Section 218) to my brother. So, I'm sitting on the home side of the field, Section 441 so I can sit with my girlfriend and a friend. Its just the preseason game so I thought I'd sit on the home side of the field.

I think that it should be touted as a premium preseason game, they don't get much better. Stamps and Lions don't have much like for one another, jobs are on the line, and more regulars will amp up the play. Glenn playing his former teammates with something to prove, and Shell, Bell and Stubler wanting to let the Lions know that they made a mistake. Go Lions Go!
Couldn't agree more Rammer. Premium preseason game! Almost sounds like an oxymoron but I agree 100%. I usually take my girlfriend to the preseason game and she was dissappointed when there wasn't a coupon for a freebie ticket in my package this year. So, she definately wanted to come once I got the email regarding the relatively free tickets. I took three tickets but next year I'm just gonna order four. Lots of people want to go just to check things out.....
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

My four extra tickets got snapped up quickly. There seems to be a lot of interest in this game, or in the start of football season overall. It's been a long offseason.
David
Team Captain

I hear it should be a pretty good crowd on hand, and a decent night for football with the roof expected to be OPEN.

I agree Rammer, as preseason games go this one should be a dandy. While there is obviously some evaluating to be done, vets will get to play a sizeable portion of the contest and no, I don't think these two teams are fond of one another.

Key for me will be keeping Kevin Glenn - our meal ticket - upright. We're not completely healthy on the O-line so we'll have to see how young T-Dre does at Guard at 275lbs against Calgary's big bullrushing Defensive Tackles. Thankfully Glenn has a quick release. :wink: Lots of question marks (in a good way) in the defensive backfield, receivers and O-line for both starting and back-up positions.

The depth chart released yesterday will look quite a bit different in a week's time.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Nice to be at dome again. Unless there is a big walkup, not too many people right noe
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Here's something new, while everyone is standing during the singing of our anthem the Felions are on are on their knees
Qman
Champion

glad the stamp got rid of those stupid black helmets!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Khalif Mitchell seems to have a new act. Pounding his chest before going down on his 2 point stance
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Intercrptiom by SolE
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

93 yard punt return by Logan
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

why is benny going nuts in a preseason game about a ref call. He did last game mic'd .. now we see phillips pushing. complain too much and your team starts to act dumb. In a game that will be called.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy