Should we send Wally this news?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

Maybe a bookend for Olafioye? The Lions did, after all, accept a player (Olafioye) who similarly failed a physical with a non-football (I assume meaning injury) medical issue.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/press/arti ... e2ccf0d8d7
MikeAK
All Star

South Pender wrote:Maybe a bookend for Olafioye? The Lions did, after all, accept a player (Olafioye) who similarly failed a physical with a non-football (I assume meaning injury) medical issue.

I could be wrong but I believe Jovan Olafioye's issues were high blood pressure. The article says Scott was discovered to have a "rare heart condition". With out more info on just what that condition is I would side with caution and move along. Last thing the Lions need/want is for a guy to have his heart stop. Again though, they don't say what that condition is so it's so hard to say for certain. For them to cut a guy so young I would think it's not something to be taken lightly.
South Pender
Legend

MikeAK wrote:
South Pender wrote:Maybe a bookend for Olafioye? The Lions did, after all, accept a player (Olafioye) who similarly failed a physical with a non-football (I assume meaning injury) medical issue.

I could be wrong but I believe Jovan Olafioye's issues were high blood pressure. The article says Scott was discovered to have a "rare heart condition". With out more info on just what that condition is I would side with caution and move along. Last thing the Lions need/want is for a guy to have his heart stop. Again though, they don't say what that condition is so it's so hard to say for certain. For them to cut a guy so young I would think it's not something to be taken lightly.
Right, we don't know the nature or extent of the condition. With Olafioye, it was hard (for us, not his doctors) to pinpoint the exact condition, although I would guess that it is more serious than simply high blood pressure (which can be managed effectively with beta blockers).

This is a blow to the Seahawks. Scott was drafted with a specific need in mind--to back up Russell Okung at LT. The O-line was about the only position group of the 'Hawks that was not strong last season, and they drafted two guys to try to fix that--Scott in the 6th round and Justin Britt (to replace Breno Giacomini at RT) in the 2nd round.

Can't say that I know what the legal liabilities are for a team who has a player experience the kind of serious event you have described. In Olafioye's case, the Lions must have considered the risks slight in contrast to the assessment of the Rams.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Definitely worth bringing him in for evaluation if he is interested. To play a couple of years in Canada, if possible, to prove his talent and condition would be ideal for him.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If he is interested in pursuing a football career, the CFL may be his only choice. I doubt other NFL teams might take a gamble on signing him.