Riders vs. Lions Game Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

almo89
Legend

David wrote:Roof closed because of "low temperatures?" WTF?? Does this mean that for a $563MM reno, they're only going to keep the roof open 'til Labour Day?

I just found out this info via an email from a friend of mine, and I completely agree with her!
I just emailed the Lions to say I completely disagree with their decision to have the roof closed tonight just b/c of low temperatures. Told them I think it should ONLY be closed if raining and that I hoped enough others, who felt the same, would let them know so they might reconsider their decision for tonight and every other game when it's not raining. Wally must have had a say in this choice!

This directly contradicts what Skulky told us in TEAM1040 interview earlier in the year in which he said they'd only close the roof if it's raining which I am fine with. This has Wally's superstitious and set-in-his-ways thumb prints all over it and Skulsky doesn't have the balls to go against him.

DH :cool:
But then you have people complaining that it was too cold. I remember on the opening of BPII and it was a great night weather wise, but there were people that were complaining that it was too cold. Can't please everybody. I'm fine with it. I was use to the dome all those years. Whether the roof is opened for a night game in the fall, doesn't matter to me.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Roof closed because of "low temperatures?" WTF?? Does this mean that for a $563MM reno, they're only going to keep the roof open 'til Labour Day?

I just found out this info via an email from a friend of mine, and I completely agree with her!
I just emailed the Lions to say I completely disagree with their decision to have the roof closed tonight just b/c of low temperatures. Told them I think it should ONLY be closed if raining and that I hoped enough others, who felt the same, would let them know so they might reconsider their decision for tonight and every other game when it's not raining. Wally must have had a say in this choice!

This directly contradicts what Skulky told us in TEAM1040 interview earlier in the year in which he said they'd only close the roof if it's raining which I am fine with. This has Wally's superstitious and set-in-his-ways thumb prints all over it and Skulsky doesn't have the balls to go against him.

DH :cool:
Well David, IIRC you were the loudest advocate for an outdoor stadium. Now that I have been to a top notch CFL stadium that is OUTDOORS, I'd have to agree with you. I love football outdoors. Our roof, when open, is cool. But that stadium in Winnipeg did have a little rain but it didn't matter. Its still football. You can still have fun. Now, Winnipeg in blowing wind and snow? But they went with the outdoor stadium.....
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm happy to hear the roof will be closed. I've been spoiled by indoor football for 30 years. I wish I had known this before leaving home, though. We might not have dressed so warmly. I still haven't heard anything directly from the Lions and I have signed up for all notifications.

EDIT: I received a game-day email from the Lions at 1:52 p.m. I just missed the line announcing the roof will be closed. It's all good.
almo89
Legend

It's interesting that on a Lions game day, there has been barely any talk about the Lions on Team1040 today except for a few segments here and there. I understand that there is a full 2 hour pre game show coming up, but if it was the other way around, it'll still be Canucks talk all day.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Is there that much difference in the roof being open? I guess that it comes down to the new open roof not meeting my expectations, as good as it once sounded.
If Wally has his ways, the roof will be closed for all Lions game. With the roof closed, the noise reverberates off the roof and back down onto the field.
almo89
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Rammer wrote:Is there that much difference in the roof being open? I guess that it comes down to the new open roof not meeting my expectations, as good as it once sounded.
If Wally has his ways, the roof will be closed for all Lions game. With the roof closed, the noise reverberates off the roof and back down onto the field.
While that is true, I don't believe it currently has the same effect as the old roof. They upgraded the acoustics all around the stadium. The echo use to be so bad pre reno BC Place, but it was an advantage when you had big crowds.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I have a friend living here in town who doesn't follow football, returning on PCL this afternoon from a trip on the Island. She sends me this:
For some reason the bus is filled with RoughRider fans. They all live on Vancouver Island it appears. Confusion is setting in.
She also added they were "rowdy". I told her about the game tonight and the McCallum manure driveway story. So she says,
That's a great story. The bus was soooo rowdy and everyone was over 50. I was scratching my head.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
South Pender
Legend

sj-roc wrote:I have a friend living here in town who doesn't follow football, returning on PCL this afternoon from a trip on the Island. She sends me this:
For some reason the bus is filled with RoughRider fans. They all live on Vancouver Island it appears. Confusion is setting in.
She also added they were "rowdy". I told her about the game tonight and the McCallum manure driveway story. So she says,
That's a great story. The bus was soooo rowdy and everyone was over 50. I was scratching my head.
Undoubtedly banjo pickers.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rider fans everywhere downtown
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

South Pender wrote:
sj-roc wrote:I have a friend living here in town who doesn't follow football, returning on PCL this afternoon from a trip on the Island. She sends me this:
Undoubtedly banjo pickers.
They'd be scratching other things.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Riders look rattled and unpoised!!!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Another field goal from the red zone
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Great knockdown by Phillips
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Might we soon be seeing Pierce?
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Defednse has to shut down Riders momentum and take back charge of the game now!!!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis