Leos/Tabbies Keys to the Game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Our 5-3 B.C. Lions, coming off an embarrassing loss to Montreal last Thursday night will play host to the 4-4 Hamilton Tiger Cats on Friday night.
The odds favor our Leos for a number of reasons. The first is that it should be a highly motivated Leos team who are looking to redeem themselves both offensively and defensively. The second reason is that Hamilton has struggled on the road this season, only winning one game while losing their other three road games. Another reason is that Hamilton has only beaten the cellar dwellers so far this season as their only victories have come at the hands of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and the Edmonton Eskimos. Finally our Leos are very tough to beat at B.C. Place and this season we are 4-0 at home.

Our Lions still top the CFL in fewest total yards (297 per game) and passing yards (213.8) allowed. But twice this year they've lost to teams playing young, very inexperienced quarterbacks, That will not be the problem against Hamilton. Henry Burris is a veteran quarterback and Stubler should have a detailed book on his tendencies. However, Henry Burris is the CFL passing leader in passing yards, throwing for 2,454 yards to date.
Lets have a closer look at these two opponents.

OFFENCE

Our Leos offence has been under the microscope since the loss to Montreal. In that game Travis Lulay, against the heavily blitzing Als defence was 15/28 for a measly 206 yards while fumbling twice, being intercepted once, and experienced a stretch of over 30 minutes without leading our offence to a first down. He was also sacked 5 times. Lulay has yet to throw for 300 yards in a game this season. Running back Andrew Harris had a season-low19 rushing yards on eight carries.

Those stats against Montreal, with our offence struggling for most of this season, caused a serious reaction by sports writers, fans, and Lionbackers. The analysis has been heavy for what has ailed our Leos offence. The debate has also been contentious as to who bears the most responsibility for our struggling offence.

Chapdelaine and Lulay are the two individuals who have mostly been the focus of attention. Sean Gore and Andrew Harris, and Angus Reid have expressed their views. A strong notion that Chapdelaine’s offence is too predictable, aired numerous times after the Montreal game was rejected by Andrew Harris, who also complained that he was used too often as a blocker against Montreal. Gore focused on the fact that our Leos have no excuses for not being able to convert second down and four yards to go situations. Our offence now ranks 6th in the league in average yards per game and fifth in 1st downs but it is third in rushing.

Lulay’s play this season, has also been in the eye of the storm. Of quarterbacks who have thrown for more than 100 passes this season Lulay ranks fifth in terms of quarterback efficiency, is tied with Mike Reilly for throwing the most interceptions this season, and we are 6th in passing, averaging a very weak 239 passing yards per game.

What is most important is our offence gets fixed. Our Leos have simplified some things and want to play more aggressive, attack offensive football for this game. Sean Gore only has 13 catches for the season and needs to be thrown to more often to balance our passing attack.
Now for the good news. Lulay should have a lot more time to throw in this game. Hamilton is dead last at getting to the quarterback this year in both sacks and pressures.

The offensive keys to this game are:
1) Get Andrew Harris back involved as a key component in our offence.
2) Attack in our passing game and get the football to our speedy receivers. Its our passing attack that is killing our offence.
3) Avoid turnovers and sacks
4) No long stretches of two and outs.

DEFENCE

It was a heart breaker for our Leos to give up a few big plays, including the final one against Montreal because overall our defense played very well in that game, as they have all season.

Our defense leads the league in the most categories by far. It has been the backbone of our Leos team this season as it was last season.

Our Leos defence ranks best in the league at giving up the lowest number of first downs, the lowest number of first downs passing, the fewest yards net offence, and have the lowest average yardage against in the CFL. We also lead in giving up the least amount of yards passing, (we only give up an average of 213 yds. passing per game, the lowest average yds per pass (7.0), the lowest percentage of pass completions, are tied for the most interceptions this season, and fewest touchdowns passing.

However, with our offence struggling, the last thing our defense can allow is the big play, as it did a few times against Montreal. Our Leos have signed a non-import defensive tackle, are looking to start Westerman, and change the ratio to allow Phillips to play safety. LaRose was guilty of allowing Arland Bruce to reel off an 87 yard reception against Montreal and he has struggled all season.

The move to play Phillips at safety will also result in a change in personell at wiseside halfback. However, the safety position this year has been a weak spot that needs to be addressed. Phillips is a savvy veteran and a ball hawk with very good anticipation skills.Hamilton has given up a league leading 34 sacks to date this season. They are 4th in average yds offence per game and are 6th in rushing.

The time has more than arrived for our offence to start taking some pressure off our defense.

The keys to this game on defense are:

1. Keep constant pressure on Henry Burris
2. Avoid giving up the big play
3. Key on Hamilton’s recievers Ellingston and Grant, who are 4th and 6th in league receiving

SPECIAL TEAMS

Tim Brown showed that he can ‘bring it’ for the second game in a row and McCallum has looked very good since he took over all kicking duties.
However, our downfield coverage, which had looked so good against Calgary, failed to follow up with another consistent effort against Montreal. Hamilton does not have a dangerous return game but we should take nothing for granted.

The key to this game on special teams is:

1.Ensure we are bit hurt again on long punt and kick off returns
2.Give Brown that key first block to get him into space where he can weave

WRAP

Hamilton presents a great opportunity for our offence to get turned around and our defense to continue to give our offence great field position. Hamilton has given up the most amount of sacks and they are also the worst team at getting pressure and sacks on the opposition quarter back. Both provide our Leos with the recipe for success for our offence and defense if we can take advantage.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: ......Our defense leads the league in the most categories by far. It has been the backbone of our Leos team this season as it was last season.

I like having our defence being the backbone of our Leos like its been for many seasons, good/bad. I hope that our rectractableroof field, ah forget it, Domefield advantage can continue. As a season ticket holder, I need to keep reminding myself how many great performances I've seen since we returned to BC Place. Empire was a fine place to watch a football game but the W/L's were tough.

This is a time when the regular advertising slogan of the Lions fans showing their pride (or word to that effect) is seen in the paper, bus ads, Skytrain stations etc... IMO, this offence had its pride hurt to the next level. I was frustrated after the Calgary game but the Al's took it to a new level.

I 'm so looking forward to watching these two teams. The Ticats really were bumbling and fumbling around earlier this year. Now they seem to be rebounding. I don't want the Lions to have 'easy' ones. I want them clawing, scratching and fighting. That terrible start in 2011 is exactly why they had so much success, IMO, that season. Close but losing. Then WHAM! I am happy to gripe about how my favourite team is playing when it ends up like that season did......
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Excellent Blitz...thank you for taking the time to create this...

You have made a lot of logical assumptions about our chances against Hamilton based on stats...but remember, Hamilton stats are skewed because their Defence hasn't had a chance to play against our horrid offence, and our generous inside 3 secondary hasn't yet given charity to Burris...so Hamilton's stats could have looked a lot better and our's even worse...

When we look back to Montreal, as bad as our offence played, Stubler and most of the D should be embarrased by their performances...the 2 Montreal QBs were awful to say the least, and Montreal had no running game...yet we gave up 39 points in a rain storm...YIKES...and when you consider that our LBs are freaky good, our defensive performance becomes putrid in retrospect...and when you consider that the Lions possess 2 of the best corners in the entire league, our inside 3 in the Secondary have been awful. Ever wonder why we lose to teams playing awful rookie QBs??? We don't have a legitimate pass rush, and when Stubler drops into his "I'm trying to lose the game" 3 front prevent Defence, we make rookie QBs look like Peyton Manning...and against Burris, even with a new safety, this defence is likely to struggle again...and will continue to until the Lions acquire a true Undertackle on their D front...until them, we are a defence prone to give up the big play.

On offence, what if nothing changes with Chapdelaine except giving our starters a sense of urgency??? Will urgency protect Lulay from Zero blitzes??? Because if the TiCats have any brains at all, they will bring the house against Lulay all game long...

So for me, I honestly think this game is up in the air and will come down to special teams and turnovers...and we haven't been good at either...

Right now, we are a mediocre team with loads of problems...we possess a lot of talent, but until this talent starts to play together in a meaningful way, this current stretch will continue...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Bring on the TiCats. Let's get some more film.

Let's see those philosophical changes.

Let's see the simplifying.

Let's see the changes Harris and Reid said are coming.

The oddsmakers started this week adding 5 to the TiCats. At practice today I heard they were up to 7. Not verified.

I would think big Kyle Fisher will get the start at right tackle in place of Olafioye.

At practice today he was getting the reps. He looks solid. We'll see how he does against cat quick CFL-style pass rushers.

Chatted with Mike Beamish, Mike W and Vic. Vic asked how I pick this game. I said I don't bother picking scores, as he and I have chatted a thousand times, but he keeps asking. I think the oddsmakers have it right, at least to get the betting money even, not to pick the winner. Winner? No idea. Hopefully us.

No idea how the game will go. Not many teams have the jam to show 7-8 men at the LOS and bring serious heat. It would be exciting if the TiCats did. In your face. Make us take off the blitz.

Anticipation building ...
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Joe, what's wrong with Olafoye???

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:Joe, what's wrong with Olafoye???
MLF,

What I heard was that his hypertension was acting up. He is on medication for it. I hope the big guy is OK. We met him and Solo in the bar one time after practice. Great guy. A gentleman.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Hamilton presents a great opportunity for our offence to get turned around and our defense to continue to give our offence great field position.
Didn't we say the same thing last week against the Als who were missing a few of their front line players ?
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Blitz wrote:
Hamilton presents a great opportunity for our offence to get turned around and our defense to continue to give our offence great field position.
Didn't we say the same thing last week against the Als who were missing a few of their front line players ?
Yes, we did. Still there are a lot of reasons, as mentioned in the opening post of this thread, for our Leos to win this one.

The Tabbies are worst in the league at getting pressure on a quarterback and Lulay is at his best when he has time to throw. Interesting thatJermaine Reid will go into the lineup for this game with only two practices.

Right now its looking as though Larose will start at safety and Phillips will remain at wide side halfback. Kenyan Parker was getting more reps at safety this week. Hard to know how we are going to adjust the lineup with Jermaine Reid in there.

Hamilton has won one game on the road. It should be a very motivated Leos team and especially a motivated Leos offence. I think Lulay will have a good game, Harris will see the football a lot, and we will attack more aggressively with our offence in this one.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
JohnHenry
Champion

Fortunately for the Lions, the Ticats dominating assassin-corner Delvin Breaux won't be playing...but unfortunately Brandon Issac will. :bang:

Also Sam Geguere is out, with Dave Stala taking his place, who is a more reliable receiver.

Veteran centre Marwan Hage also may play after sitting out several weeks.

The Ticats might be the hottest team in the league right now. The Lions will have to bring their A-game, like they did against Calgary at home after being humiliated in Toronto. This game is really a toss-up but perhaps with a few timely Lulay scrambles for 1st downs, the Lions pride should prevail! :roar:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Some good news for the Lions. Hamilton is starting their 1st string quarterback Henry Burris and not some 2nd or 3rd stringers.
GoCatsGo
prospect

Hi Guys....an excellent and informative thread, however, I do want to correct something. The TiCats have 2 road wins this year...30-29 in Edmonton and 37-18 in Winnipeg. Looking forward to a competitive and entertaining game on Friday. Actually...if you want to get technical, they have 4 road wins this year as they are playing their "home" games in Guelph.
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Some good news for the Lions. Hamilton is starting their 1st string quarterback Henry Burris and not some 2nd or 3rd stringers.
Give our defense that veteran, successful quarterback to play against!! :wink:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Can't add anything much to what has been said really.

2 Keys however are
front 4 rush - need pressure
ability to deal with blitz.

Do those things we probably win, don't and we are looking at another L
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:Can't add anything much to what has been said really.

2 Keys however are
front 4 rush - need pressure
ability to deal with blitz.

Do those things we probably win, don't and we are looking at another L
That's absolutely true SP...if this team does not get pressure on Burris, he will rip apart the interior of our secondary...and Hamilton is quite capable of dialing up some pressure via blitzing...any team is...

Albert Einstein
cromartie
Hall of Famer

If this team is interested in anything other than a Western semi exit this season, they should probably start winning games against teams like this. They've already blown two of them they should not have. The Ti-Cats are still bringing defenders in off the bus in an effort to find the right combination. 4-4 with an eastern schedule (and two games against Edmonton) is unimpressive.

This is a must win.