Lions v. Bombers Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hoping the Lions redeemed themselves after last week's absymal performance against the Argos. Lions once again will be facing a rookie quarterback making his 2nd pro start. Looking forward to seeing Keron Williams back at defensive end.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

No Nick Moore means I'm a sad panda. Williams is in. Arceneaux is back as well.
Rodu
Champion

no Moore means Gore and Taylor need to have big games. Manny and Harris will do their things, but these two need to step up
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Will be interesting to see the crowd size today for a 4 p.m. holiday Monday although the Lions laying an egg in TO and the Bombers record wasn't going to help regardless. Just a terrible schedule for the Lions this season as for years it was Friday nights in the summer and Saturdays in the fall. Its all over the map.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

redemption time. lets get it done! :)
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Rammer
Team Captain

My largest concern is the Bombers front 7, they are quick and get to the QB in a hurry. With Fabien out and Valli in, it may give some extra room for them to find a path to Lulay. I don't see the Lions laying another egg this week on the O, but they will also likely lose the field position game on ST. The game will be much closer than one would expect IMO, but Lions prevail.
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Will be interesting to see the crowd size today for a 4 p.m. holiday Monday although the Lions laying an egg in TO and the Bombers record wasn't going to help regardless. Just a terrible schedule for the Lions this season as for years it was Friday nights in the summer and Saturdays in the fall. Its all over the map.
Two successive days of different 'pride'. The pride parade happened (apparently, I haven't even caught the news) Sunday. And of course, show your Lions pride by attending the Family Day game on BC Day. IMO, it will be a smaller crowd.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Will be interesting to see the crowd size today for a 4 p.m. holiday Monday although the Lions laying an egg in TO and the Bombers record wasn't going to help regardless. Just a terrible schedule for the Lions this season as for years it was Friday nights in the summer and Saturdays in the fall. Its all over the map.
Yep. I gave my tickets away. For the second straight game, I'll have to rely on the PVR. I hope the outcome is better than last week's.
South Pender
Legend

Same D-line for us as last year when Mitchell was out (with Jordan in at DT)--and, IIRC, we won both of those games. We're better at LB, with Bighill and Elimimian paired there. Our secondary is pretty similar albeit with Bell in place of Banks there. Bell, in my opinion, now constitutes the greatest weakness in the secondary, although LaRose hasn't been great. Marsh, Phillips, and Parks have been fine. So, defensively, I think we should be OK for this game--particularly against a green QB. Although Burke is talking up the ground game, I don't see Chad Simpson having a big day against our front seven.

Winnipeg's biggest flaw defensively is their back end (losing Hefney hurt them a lot, I think). Our receivers should be able to find openings and exploit them, particularly with Arceneaux back for the deep routes. The only question in that regard is whether or not Lulay will get sufficient protection behind Valli's very-suspect pass blocking. If Valli plays even halfway decently, our O should be able to execute. I'm surprised to see Korey Williams at the ranger spot; I'd thought Paris Jackson would be slotted in there. Still, Williams could provide some excitement and will be worth watching.

I'm looking for a pretty decisive Lions victory.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:Winnipeg's biggest flaw defensively is their back end (losing Hefney hurt them a lot, I think). Our receivers should be able to find openings and exploit them, particularly with Arceneaux back for the deep routes.
Agreed. Jovon Johnson is not the player he was a few years ago. He always seems to be in the chase position. I'm looking forward to seeing Manny Arceneaux lined up across from him. Bomber DBs are undersized. If Lulay puts the ball on target, the B.C. receivers can exploit their size advantage.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Yep. I gave my tickets away. For the second straight game, I'll have to rely on the PVR. I hope the outcome is better than last week's.
We had a Sunday 4pm start last summer on Aug 19. We went into that game with a 4-2 record and came out with a 24-5 victory against Ssk (3-3 going in) on a non-long weekend. It was also at the time our first home game in four weeks — since losing 27-14 to Edm on Fri Jul 20, which remains our only reg season home loss since BCP re-opened — having just come off a bye week that followed back-to-back road wins in Cgy & Tor and our defence was in the middle of a long stretch of not giving up a TD. We drew 34,343. Today, with little buzz, a weaker-drawing opponent and little hunger after a shorter absence from BCP, we won't get anywhere near this.

Without having seen the ticketmaster seat map recently, I'm predicting 28k and change, tops, probably less. I wouldn't even rule out a drop from the last home crowd of 26,623 on Sat Jul 20 vs Edm.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Halliday
prospect

cromartie wrote:No Nick Moore means I'm a sad panda. Williams is in. Arceneaux is back as well.
Fortunately, he should be back for the game against Calgary.

And Hopefully he picked a good game to miss. I'd hate to think that we need our top lineup to take down Winnipeg (fingers crossed, knocking on wood).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions need this win heading into the bye week. If they stink up the place, I expect some major roster changes.
South Pender
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Lions need this win heading into the bye week. If they stink up the place, I expect some major roster changes.
Right. Actually, I expect at least one or two roster changes in the bye week regardless.
swervynmerv
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Lions need this win heading into the bye week. If they stink up the place, I expect some major roster changes.
I don't think they will, but if they do, my suggestion is that not only roster changes be made, but a review of our long-time OC is in order.

To me this is a huge game for Chap. Does our offence continue to struggle like it has for large parts of the season, or can Chap put together an effective game plan?

I want to see a quick start and 7 points, not 3 when we get our red zone opportunities.