Official NFL Thread: 2013-2014 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:... Yeah, I was disappointed in Jennings' sour comments.
...I'm a huge fan of Aaron Rodgers. Believe it or not, Brett Favre gave him a hard time for a while too. For my money, he's the premier QB in football today.
.....One thing about Philip Rivers that we've seen in Mike Reilly is his very unorthodox delivery. And yet he's always well up there in the QB ratings; he's a good QB. But check out his throwing motion. Not the same as Reilly's, but unusual all the same.
I haven't even heard the comments yet, but I have no doubt they didn't need to be said (still want to hear the dirt/gossip though :wink: ). They'll hold little water for me because Rodgers has got to do a lot and shoulders a lot as an NFL starter. The fact that other guy (I made a deal in the previous NFL thread not to mention his name anymore ala Parcells T.O. references as 'the player'). Rodgers went into a tough situation a few years ago and got a ring out of it, so he's got my respect.

What I like about Rivers is that gung ho competiveness that he seems to have. Really thought the Chargers had a chance a few seasons back with LT. But they lived upto the Charger way and became unplugged.......
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:A piece on Riley Cooper's return to the Eagles fold:

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-phila ... -was-great

Looks as if it went pretty well.
The Eagles owner has made it very clear where the Eagles stand and if there wasn't a clear message in there about how they view this statement - then the person would have to be from another planet to miss it. I think they have handled this very well. Where it gets messed up and lingers is when a team doesn't come right out and denounce this statement. I also hope that the Eagles included the tail gate issues and on stage bizarre actions as part of their concern as some of the stuff from fans around that city suggest he's been a bit over the top in how he interacts with others in drinking situations.
Eagles owner Jeff Lurie, who once tried to buy the Patriots, watched practice Thursday at the NovaCare Complex and later issued a statement, expressing his personal disgust with Cooper’s behavior:

“I want to make this clear: The words Riley Cooper used were totally unacceptable. His words may have been directed at one person but they hurt everyone. Riley has apologized to the team and community and has made a personal commitment to work hard to try and gain their trust and earn his position on the team.”
The HC has done the right thing and has not led the public talk.

In fact they sent Cooper outside the day it blew up on the internet and told him to tell the media what they told them.

I gave this guy a lot of credit for his walking outside with no agent providing the wording or it coming out the next day after it was carefully crafted. It sounds like he is a from a good family situation as again in this story he speaks of the shame he feels and how hard it is for his parents to deal with.

Either he is very good public talker and knows what touchstones to hit or he is aware of the trajectory his behaviour is on and not just the offensive wording. Let's hope so. I am impressed by his statements as for me they show genuine awareness of his actions and honest contrition - that doesn't reek of 'I'm sorry I got caught' kind of thinking.

I hope they are just keeping it private that they also told him to get help on the alcohol issue too.

There will NOT be a 100% love in for him within the team as in a group that large it is like every workplace - not all going to be great buddies and some will really not be easily forgiving. Players don't like to see guys act as he did on the stage as the older guys have families and pride too and they don't like to be identified with idiots. I did like his statement that he was not asking for forgiveness - and basically put it out there as a challenge to himself to prove he's not like that.

It is not always that these teams identify these behaviour patterns that lead to killings and crime and that is sad.

It is clear that the Eagles had no choice in the matter as that city has a huge black population as does this team. It should be a good study case though for future situations. Make the player face the music on his own.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote: I haven't even heard the comments yet, but I have no doubt they didn't need to be said (still want to hear the dirt/gossip though :wink: ).

Here you go:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1730 ... sh-players
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
notahomer wrote: I haven't even heard the comments yet, but I have no doubt they didn't need to be said (still want to hear the dirt/gossip though :wink: ).

Here you go:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1730 ... sh-players

Thanks for posting South Pender. I watched the clip. In some ways it might be kinda neat to see those kinda shows/arguements about CFL teams/speculation. But then again, its kinda cool the CFL has its differences, IMO.

As to the actual content, hmmmm..... Sure will make for two interesting divisional games. This rivalry doesn't even need any added stuff to get going. Weird in a way because I don't mind watching either team play. I think Jennings claims are a bit puzzling in lots of ways. You can call what a team does as 'brain washing', I guess. I think he'd need to go into a little more specifics but lots of the evidence I'm betting he'd provide are the kinds of things most organizations would hold as goals/standards. Well, Jennings has a Superbowl ring, in part due to his days where he was 'brainwashed'. I hope the Vikings are able to use him effectively. When the teams do meet, these players won't. I must admit, I am going to pay closer attention to how Rodgers responds to questions after losses now. Its one of the things I respect about the Sedin twins, here in Vancouver. They admit they are to blame after losses and maybe that is why get so much mud thrown at them by some parties. That self-blame only gets respect from me.........
South Pender
Legend

A little Thursday Pro Football Talk for NFL junkies:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ca ... umor-mill/

Mike Florio gets most things right, in my opinion. Interesting little piece about the continuing saga of Tim Tebow now with the Patriots. If anyone can get something of value from Tebow, I think it would be Bill Belichick.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Watched some bits/pieces of the Seahawks game. Wilson seems to have some BigBen in him. Obviously two different QB's but they both must be the kinds of guys that get Defensive Coordinators to PULL THEIR HAIR OUT AT THE ROOTS. I mean he is right there! TACKLE HIM! But Wilson scampers off for just enough to get a new set of downs. Saw a nice bomb from TJackson that ended up at the 5yard line. Seahawks seemed to be doing just fine on the scoreboard but haven't really seen enough of the game to comment. I know that stat (the score) is the only one that matters but at the same time I think at least some of the Seahawks points were in large part due to an INT (didn't see it, just heard chatter about it).
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:Watched some bits/pieces of the Seahawks game. Wilson seems to have some BigBen in him. Obviously two different QB's but they both must be the kinds of guys that get Defensive Coordinators to PULL THEIR HAIR OUT AT THE ROOTS. I mean he is right there! TACKLE HIM! But Wilson scampers off for just enough to get a new set of downs. Saw a nice bomb from TJackson that ended up at the 5yard line. Seahawks seemed to be doing just fine on the scoreboard but haven't really seen enough of the game to comment. I know that stat (the score) is the only one that matters but at the same time I think at least some of the Seahawks points were in large part due to an INT (didn't see it, just heard chatter about it).
Had to miss the game. A little surprised to hear that Wilson played at all. This year there have been a surprising number of TC injuries around the league. I sure hope the injury bug doesn't hit the 'hawks to any great extent. Losing Percy Harvin for most of the season (likely) is bad enough. Think of how things would be if Russell Wilson went down. "The horror, the horror....."
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Spotting lots of Hawks jersies around town. You can tell when pro teams are doing well, or not. Seahawks gear is not something one gets laughed at for wearing in public at this moment in time. The year the Hawks won the division with a losing record, some Seahawk fans I know reported being bugged often.

One team I am surprised to see a lot of jersies being worn is the Atlanta Falcons. I get it, they aren't a bad team, played well last year. Had a few good years here and there. But I think I see more Falcons jersies than a lot of other jersies I'd think would get more use (Dallas, Patriots eg). Oh well, I guess there are a lot more Falcons fans out there than I thought.....
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/

This clip on Trestman features no other than Anthony Cavillo who went down to Chicago to meet their QBs. Trestman and AC both talk about it.

I'd not be surprised if when AC retires that he moves on to be Trestman's QB coach.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
South Pender
Legend

That was a great clip, TV. I was a little surprised that AC thought that so much from the Als offense would translate to the Bears--different players, philosophy, strengths, and the somewhat-different NFL game. Still, there are a lot of universal principles that apply to all football leagues.

I was also surprised, in a way, to hear Trestman's comments about Cutler, although I guess a coach feels he needs to say things like "he's a great human being" about his starting QB. From all we've seen of Cutler over the past years, first in Denver and then in Chicago, "great human being" is definitely not the phrase most have used to describe him! "Gifted," yes. "Cannon for an arm," yes. However, over the years, the character factor has constantly been an issue for Cutler.

Also surprising: TSN's power ratings, with the Patriots at the No. 1 position, and the Ravens down at 8. Very different from other preseason power ratings we've seen. Still, at this stage, it's mostly conjecture. Still, I sure can't see the Patriots as the best team in the NFL--or even the AFC. Losing Wes Welker is, I believe, really going to cost them; I don't see the Patriots getting anywhere near the production from Danny Amendola that they got from Welker (122 catches in 2011, 118 in 2012). Also, Tom Brady is a year older, and I haven't seen any significant improvement to their D via free agency or the draft. I'd put the Patriots at about 4th or 5th in the AFC behind Denver (who should be scary-good with the addition of Welker playing pitch and catch with Peyton Manning), Baltimore, Houston (although Matt Schaub isn't a top-tier QB), and, possibly, Pittsburgh.
Last edited by South Pender on Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:Spotting lots of Hawks jersies around town. You can tell when pro teams are doing well, or not. Seahawks gear is not something one gets laughed at for wearing in public at this moment in time. The year the Hawks won the division with a losing record, some Seahawk fans I know reported being bugged often.

One team I am surprised to see a lot of jersies being worn is the Atlanta Falcons. I get it, they aren't a bad team, played well last year. Had a few good years here and there. But I think I see more Falcons jersies than a lot of other jersies I'd think would get more use (Dallas, Patriots eg). Oh well, I guess there are a lot more Falcons fans out there than I thought.....
That is interesting about Falcon support here. They are, to be sure, a very good team, but so far away! And--and this is just a guess--I think a lot of fans really like Matt Ryan: clean-cut all-American golden boy who just happens to be an outstanding pro QB. I'm not surprised to see so many 'Hawks jerseys. For my money, they're the most exciting NFL team these days--and, of course, our closest neighbours.

My second favorite NFL team (after the Seahawks, of course) is the Packers, mainly because of the community-ownership aspect, the only such team in the NFL (meaning that we don't have to countenance a complete a-hole owner like Jerry Jones or Dan Snider showing off in the luxury boxes at all the games their team plays) and the tiny city in which they play (about 100,000, I think), and because they were one of the very first NFL teams (1922). The Lombardi years there were iconic in football, and they've returned to form during the last few years. Hard also not to like Aaron Rodgers, my nominee for top NFL QB.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

My favourite NFL team is, due to proximity, the Seahawks. I still kinda cheer on the Raiders, just because I like the rebel culture (but they've been a tough team to follow for a decade now).

Lots of griping by the Raiders about still sharing a stadium with the A's as they (the Raiders) have to play with a dirt infield for much of the season.

The Seahawks preseason game is being replayed (tonight, IIRC) on the NFL network. NFL network is jam packed with preseason games. I might take in the evening game tomorrow night unless 60minutes looks promising..... :wink:

No big surprises, so far, IMO. the USUAL, crushing end of season injuries affecting different players. MUST BE JUST AWFUL. Work out, prepare, get ready and WHAM you get injured in PRACTICE and your years DONE!

Read a short piece in yesterdays Province regarding the now almost forgotten QB, Tim Tebow. Really seems to be settling in well with Brady. It seems obvious according to the reporter, Tebow is #3 and that is that. IMO, one of the things that puzzled me greatly is the "its a competition" blathering that went on when Tebow was a Jet. Sanchez was the starter but this so-called competition just seemed to make every Jets QB worse.
South Pender
Legend

Here's something interesting and, at the same time, a sad commentary on the times in which we live:

Bag rule ruffles some feathers at Falcons game
Posted by Mike Florio on August 10, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT
GeorgiaDome Getty Images

The NFL's new bag rule took effect on Thursday night at six stadiums. In one of the venues, the rule wasn’t well received.

As explained by D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Georgia Dome officials held “hundreds” of purses for fans who weren’t allowed to take them in to the Bengals-Falcons game.

The powers-that-be at the Georgia Dome decided to set up stations where purses and other non-conforming bags could be checked, with their contents placed in a one-gallon clear plastic bag for entry to the stadium.

Fans complained, some loudly. One claimed that her purse, which cost more than $200, was given to someone else.

The problem is that people weren’t aware of the rule, according to Georgia Dome spokesman Jason Kirksey. Also, the stadiums didn’t get much guidance from the league.

The NFL asked us to implement the policy and they just said, ‘Here’s the policy,’” Kirksey told Ledbetter. “What we did was take it a step farther. . . .

“When we play Jacksonville for that last exhibition game on Aug. 29, fans can expect the same thing,” Kirksey said. “If you don’t need it, leave it at home. This policy is not going away. It’s an NFL initiative that we’re going to enforce the entire season.”

The same rule applies in every other NFL venue. The challenge is making sure fans who show up for the games know about it in advance, and plan accordingly.

Too many don’t and/or haven’t.

We have to hope we don't get to this state here in Canada....
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Here's something interesting and, at the same time, a sad commentary on the times in which we live:

Bag rule ruffles some feathers at Falcons game
Posted by Mike Florio on August 10, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT
GeorgiaDome Getty Images

The NFL's new bag rule took effect on Thursday night at six stadiums. In one of the venues, the rule wasn’t well received.

As explained by D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Georgia Dome officials held “hundreds” of purses for fans who weren’t allowed to take them in to the Bengals-Falcons game.

The powers-that-be at the Georgia Dome decided to set up stations where purses and other non-conforming bags could be checked, with their contents placed in a one-gallon clear plastic bag for entry to the stadium.

Fans complained, some loudly. One claimed that her purse, which cost more than $200, was given to someone else.

The problem is that people weren’t aware of the rule, according to Georgia Dome spokesman Jason Kirksey. Also, the stadiums didn’t get much guidance from the league.

The NFL asked us to implement the policy and they just said, ‘Here’s the policy,’” Kirksey told Ledbetter. “What we did was take it a step farther. . . .

“When we play Jacksonville for that last exhibition game on Aug. 29, fans can expect the same thing,” Kirksey said. “If you don’t need it, leave it at home. This policy is not going away. It’s an NFL initiative that we’re going to enforce the entire season.”

The same rule applies in every other NFL venue. The challenge is making sure fans who show up for the games know about it in advance, and plan accordingly.

Too many don’t and/or haven’t.

We have to hope we don't get to this state here in Canada....
The NFL also happens to be selling tote bags crested with logos from all teams, which, by some strange coincidence, they are allowing fans to bring to games (even selling them at games IIRC from stories I heard on this policy when it was announced a few months ago). Not a very female fan-friendly policy at all, and I find it difficult to imagine that even one woman was involved in its formulation.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What's the rationale for that move ?