Official NFL Thread: 2013-2014 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. — Marc Trestman is off to a fast start with the Chicago Bears.

Associated Press

The new coach was a blur during the first training camp practice on Friday, trailing players and urging the offence to hurry up when it was slow to snap the ball.

If things seemed a bit chaotic, well, that’s how he wants it.

"What we’re trying to do essentially is slow everything down on Sunday and this is not unique to us," Trestman said. "But the faster we go and the more chaotic we can make it for them the easier things are going to be on Sunday.

"Things happen so fast on Sunday that if we can create that environment as much as possible here — more game-like — we hope that they’ll play better and we believe they will. So that’s the reason for it."

It’s a new era in Chicago and it’s safe to say the new boss is not quite the same as the old boss.

Gone is the stoic and defensive-minded Lovie Smith. In his place is the offensive-oriented Trestman, who looks more like a CEO than the typical football coach with his comb-over and dark-rimmed glasses. He hardly sounds like one, either.

In Trestman’s world, the conditioning tests that players went through on Thursday weren’t tests at all. No, they were "an accountability exercise."

He uses terms such as "self-actualize." Which means?

"What we’re trying to do is create an environment in which every player can be the best football player they can be every day," said Trestman, a University of Miami law school graduate. "The only way to do that is for the guy next to him to try to do the same thing. Because of the interconnectivity of this game, you can’t be the best you can be unless the guys around you are working at it.

"That’s the sell," he continued. "We can’t be good unless you’re good. It’s practical from the standpoint of going to fundamentals, finish, coaches creating environments for those players to be the best they can be. It’s the whole process on a daily basis: coach-player, player-player, player-coach, coach-coach, that goes into getting this done.

"That’s our goal: to bring out the best in these guys every day and we hope they want to bring out the best in us. That’s where you create the edge every day, the sense of urgency. It’s a message you send every day in different ways because not everybody hears that message the same way. That’s the fun of being in front of 90 guys because everybody hears the message in different ways."

Got that?

The question is whether the players will follow. Quarterback Jay Cutler turned a few heads when he said, "Not everybody has bought in, but that’s OK. We still have a lot of time. Hopefully by the time the first game rolls around, we have everyone on the same page."

The presumption was that the offence was more gung-ho, given Trestman’s background, than a defence that was loyal to Smith.

Defensive end Corey Wootton said it simply takes time to adjust to a new coach while suggesting that was the point Cutler was trying to make. Pro Bowl cornerback Charles Tillman insisted he’s on board, saying, "If I hadn’t bought into the system, I wouldn’t be here. I’d be at home somewhere."

Management decided to send Smith packing after a second straight collapse spoiled a promising start and kept Chicago out of the playoffs for the fifth time in six years since the 2006 team’s Super Bowl run.

The Bears turned to Trestman, who spent the past five seasons with the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes and led them to two Grey Cup championships. A longtime assistant in the NFL before that, he’s a head coach in the league for the first time.

"I think his communication skills are top-notch," new tight end Martellus Bennett said. "He hears you out when we’re in meetings. (If) you have questions, raise your hand, he’ll stop and answer your questions and have a little discussion. It’s good because everyone’s learning and he’s not just talking at you."

Trestman inherits a team that won 10 games but has some big question marks. Topping the list is whether he can connect with Cutler and turn around a stagnant offence.

There was no stalling on Friday.

Instead, there was Trestman yelling when the offence took a little too much time, "Six seconds now, we gotta go! Make the call!"

Or, there he was right with the receiver or running back heading downfield.

"Nothing like any of the other coaches we’ve had in the past," receiver Earl Bennett said. "That’s a good thing."
http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl/tr ... ith-bears/
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I was tuned into CNBC today and noticed a quick factiod that had escaped my reality until then. Chicago's basketball and football teams are named after the ups/downs of the market. The Chicago Bull's are the sign of a 'rebounding' market that is headed hopefully for the stratosphere. The defensive Chicago Bears are perhaps named for circling the wagons as the money drains out of the market. Just like the financial markets, you can make lots of money in either a Bears or Bulls market....... :cool:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm not a NFL fan but I'll definitely keep tabs on the Bears and how they're doing under Trestman.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:I was tuned into CNBC today and noticed a quick factiod that had escaped my reality until then. Chicago's basketball and football teams are named after the ups/downs of the market. The Chicago Bull's are the sign of a 'rebounding' market that is headed hopefully for the stratosphere. The defensive Chicago Bears are perhaps named for circling the wagons as the money drains out of the market. Just like the financial markets, you can make lots of money in either a Bears or Bulls market....... :cool:
Bulls and Bears. :thup: That is very cool, notahomer.

That is how I spend my mornings, with the bulls and bears on the markets.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I'm not a NFL fan but I'll definitely keep tabs on the Bears and how they're doing under Trestman.
I will certainly keep tabs on them too. I've been checking in with the Chicago newspapers occasionally.

I hope he does well. I hope his players buy in to what he wants.

He reminds me of some Math and Economics professors I have had (not knocking his appearance). As the article suggests, he looks like a corporate CEO. Thoughtful, quiet-spoken, chooses his words carefully, not a rah rah emotional type.

I've liked the Bears through the times of George Allen as defensive coach, Ditka as tight end, Butkus, Sayers, Ditka again as head coach, Buddy Ryan with his 46 defence, Jim McMahon, Walter Payton.

I commend the Bears for giving Trestman a chance. I hope it works out.
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:I was tuned into CNBC today and noticed a quick factiod that had escaped my reality until then. Chicago's basketball and football teams are named after the ups/downs of the market. The Chicago Bull's are the sign of a 'rebounding' market that is headed hopefully for the stratosphere. The defensive Chicago Bears are perhaps named for circling the wagons as the money drains out of the market. Just like the financial markets, you can make lots of money in either a Bears or Bulls market....... :cool:
Oh yes, Da Bears. The "monsters of the midway." That's turned out to be an interesting juxtaposition of team names, notahomer. The Bears are one of the most interesting teams in the NFL, largely because of their history. They and the Chicago (later the St. Louis, and now the Arizona) Cardinals are the only two remaining founding members of the NFL (in 1922). Green Bay joined about that time. Da Bears were originally the Decatur Staleys (for the Staley food starch company of Decatur, Illinois) in 1919, but "Papa Bear" George Halas moved them to Chicago in 1921 as the Chicago Staleys, and then bought the team and renamed it the Bears in 1922 when the NFL came into being. They played at Wrigley Field like the city's baseball team, the Chicago Cubs, and Halas derived the team's nickname from the baseball team, the Cubs (young Bears). [Some other pro football teams also took their names from their city's existing baseball teams--to capitalize on pro baseball's long history and great popularity--either indirectly like the Bears (and Detroit Lions, with the Detroit Tigers baseball team very popular), or directly like the New York Giants and original Pittsburgh Steelers (named the Pirates at first)]. So,I'd say the Bears have a pretty special status in pro football. Interestingly, the Green Bay Packers, also founded in 1919, became a pro team in 1921, and then came into the NFL shortly after this. The Bears-Packers rivalry is a storied one. The Bears hold a slight edge in head-to-head victories in the 186 games they've played each other (92-88-6), but the Packers have the most pro championships of any U. S. pro football team (13, including 4 Super Bowls), vs. 9 championships for the Bears (including 1 SB), who are in second-place in that department. The Bears-Chicago Cardinals rivalry was an interesting one too until the Cardinals fell on hard times, were largely ignored in Chicago in favor of the Bears, and moved to St. Louis in 1960.

I thought it was interesting when Lovie Smith was hired as the Bears' Head Coach in 2004. He was asked what his top priority would be as HC and replied "beat the Packers."!

Now with Marc Trestman at the helm, I think his greatest challenge will be to get Jay Cutler's head right if he has any hope of implementing an effective offense (his strength). Cutler has a rocket launcher for an arm, but is really moody, poorly-centered, and not very coachable. Chicago is in tough in the NFC North, with Green Bay the favorite in the division, Minnesota looking better now, and Detroit showing signs too (although last year was an off-year for the Lions). Trestman has a tremendous challenge on his hands.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I, as always missed the Hall of Fame stuff. I respect what it takes to get into the various Halls. Someday I plan to take in both the CFL and NFL HOF. They'd both be good trips, IMO.

Certainly looking forward to tonights game. I know, I know its just meaningless pre-season stuff. And once we hit the regular season, who cares until the playoffs etc..... Its football. Its a SUnday night. Nice way< IMO, to spend a Sunday evening, even if it is preseason....
South Pender
Legend

Is this game going to have the regular Sunday Night Football crew? For my money, Al Michaels is the best play-by-play announcer and Chris Collinsworth the best color guy in the business.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

On Trestman:
"Nothing like any of the other coaches we’ve had in the past," receiver Earl Bennett said. "That’s a good thing."

Cutler's comments were clarified by DEF players that it takes time to learn new ways.

I agree with Trestman's hurry up in practices as long as guys have first grasped the plays, then on game day it will seem slower and will be.

Anyone follow the Eagles REC Riley Cooper who got drunk well before the Kenny Chesney concert and was reported rolling around on the ground in a mini battle at the tail gate. Then inside when a black guard wouldn't let him back stage he made the infamous N comment which has a month after surfaced online on a Philly blog. The You tube concert when Chesney sings boys of spring and brings up the Eagles had Riley making a complete fool of himself on stage and no doubt unimpressed Chesney who is up there entertaining HIS fans. Riley had to be coaxed off stage as he wouldn't leave.

Riley C's apology on exiting the training ground seems very hearth felt and I give him a lot of credit for meeting with team officials who fined him and banned him for now and who told him to exit outside and tell the media what he told them. He seems to be a decent enough young man who in the last year or so around Philly has made a bit of a dick out of himself. He made it clear too how much he shamed his mom and dad. Finally an athlete who understands how parents feel - especially those not who are opposite of racists. The team is a bit divided on him now. Vick is supportive but there RB has made it clear he no longer will consider him a friend. Another player has raised the suggestion that it won't be easy to repair the damage among the black players. I for one think blacks themselves should put a ban on that word due to the connotations. I don't buy that that they can use it as they use it in a way that has a different meaning than when white folks say it.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I like how Michael Vick has tried to handle this situation. Its a tough one and obviously I feel I respect what he has to say on quite a few different levels. For e.g. he obviously has had the slur directed at him (almost definately, but I'm reaching here). Vick as QB is suppossed to have a leadership role. And Vick has had, IMO, far more serious charges (that he has apologized/served time/lost money etc...) for. What I'm trying to say, is Vick has a variety of diverse roles and life experience that helps me respect what he's trying to do/say. I think its taking the easy road out to say "I don't like Cooper, I can never respect him". Obviously that is each individuals right. I just feel Vick has done well trying to lead, considering his current and past roles......

Regardless, IMO, this better be Coopers last brainfart. Come on man............... :cool:
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:I like how Michael Vick has tried to handle this situation. Its a tough one and obviously I feel I respect what he has to say on quite a few different levels. For e.g. he obviously has had the slur directed at him (almost definately, but I'm reaching here). Vick as QB is suppossed to have a leadership role. And Vick has had, IMO, far more serious charges (that he has apologized/served time/lost money etc...) for. What I'm trying to say, is Vick has a variety of diverse roles and life experience that helps me respect what he's trying to do/say. I think its taking the easy road out to say "I don't like Cooper, I can never respect him". Obviously that is each individuals right. I just feel Vick has done well trying to lead, considering his current and past roles......

Regardless, IMO, this better be Coopers last brainfart. Come on man............... :cool:
Good point about Vick. I think he's shown some maturity that will help the team. And he's under a lot of pressure these days too, with his starting QB status in doubt. I wonder how much (if any) the recent Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman outcome has raised sensibilities and latent hostility among African Americans. Let's hope that this whole mess with Cooper doesn't divide the Eagles' locker-room and lead to even worse performance than last year's. You've got to feel for Chip Kelly in his first year with the Eagles.
South Pender
Legend

A piece on Riley Cooper's return to the Eagles fold:

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-phila ... -was-great

Looks as if it went pretty well.
South Pender
Legend

Pro Football Talk for today:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ca ... umor-mill/

Interesting addition to Seahawks' receiving corps: Early Doucet. Hardly Percy Harvin, but a serviceable receiver nonetheless.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Get to take in part of a Seahawk preseason tilt tomorrow night. Obviously the Aloette/Argo tilt will take precedence BUT, the Chargers are a team I think has underachieved and the Seahawks are the local (okay, closest) NFL team (so I cheer em on). 7PM kickoff. I like watching Rivers play but doubt he'll see more than a drive/two. Pre-season MEANS NOTHING, except to the guys who win jobs ala special teams and the odd starter (Wilson).

Little surprised by a couple storiesout of Packerland I haven't heard too much about yet but that is what NFL network is for. Jennings (expacker reciever) whining about Aaron Rogers. Surprising as little bad gets said about him since he had to put up with the retirement saga of his predecessor. Vince Young has apparently signed on as their thirdstringer. Guess its another example of "he's good, the other teams just wasted him".

Biggest non-story (thankfully, IMO). Perhaps due to the murder, perhaps because we are just lucky. I have heard ALMOST NOTHING about Tebow. Maybe he's finally found a football home and can play a few years doing whatever the Patriots are going to have him do.......
South Pender
Legend

The biggest setback in Packerland is losing OT Bryan Bulaga for the season. Their O-line hasn't been exactly settled and effective over the past couple of years. Yeah, I was disappointed in Jennings' sour comments. I think we expect a little more class than that from our pro athletes, although, God knows, we often don't get it. I'm a huge fan of Aaron Rodgers. Believe it or not, Brett Favre gave him a hard time for a while too. For my money, he's the premier QB in football today. Actually, after Seattle, Green Bay is my favorite NFL team.

One thing about Philip Rivers that we've seen in Mike Reilly is his very unorthodox delivery. And yet he's always well up there in the QB ratings; he's a good QB. But check out his throwing motion. Not the same as Reilly's, but unusual all the same.