Ron Lancaster explains the Canadian game to Americans

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Perhaps the chalk talk board might be a better place for this post but anyway........

I don't know if any of you have ever seen this before, but when the league expanded into the US 20 years ago they prepared a 20 minute video hosted by Ron Lancaster to explain to fans in Sacramento some of the rule differences between the CFL and (for them) the more familiar NFL. This video is on youtube in two parts:

Longer, Wider, Faster - CFL Rules '93 (pt. 1)

[video][/video]

Longer, Wider, Faster - CFL Rules '93 (pt. 2)

[video][/video]

About 6:45 into part 1 he gets into the strong/weak, wide/short terminology that was debated on here the other day (though only in a linebacking context) and as an example of the CFL's distinct kicking rules he draws up about 3:45 in part 2 how teams might occasionally keep one or two players onside to indemnify them against the no yards rule and recover a punt. He also spins a neat yarn on the kicking relay near the end of the 1972 western final, a game in which he played, and even mentions that Sac's OL coach in 1993 (John Payne) was the Ssk head coach at that time.

Also not to be missed is a decent look at Doug Flutie's mullet about 4:30 into part 1.

I was hoping he would mention the rule about how simultaneous possession on a kickoff is declared a tie and calls for the kickoff to be repeated, but that didn't come up. :)
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I know this is a bit off topic, and these videos are cool, but can we stop explaining the game to Americans? I can't tell you how tiresome it is to have to hear the TSN guys explain the game to American viewers. Trust me on this one. Americans watching the game already understand football and can pick up the nuisances quick enough without the announcers having to explain something "for our American viewers" every series.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:I know this is a bit off topic, and these videos are cool, but can we stop explaining the game to Americans? I can't tell you how tiresome it is to have to hear the TSN guys explain the game to American viewers. Trust me on this one. Americans watching the game already understand football and can pick up the nuisances quick enough without the announcers having to explain something "for our American viewers" every series.
Nuisances? You're not referring to Rod Black now, are you? :twisted:

Oh... I couldn't resist.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rodu
Champion

with the onside receiver on the punt team, since they don't have to give the five yards, can they stand next to the returner(if they are fast enough) and tackle him as soon as he catches it)
cromartie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
cromartie wrote:I know this is a bit off topic, and these videos are cool, but can we stop explaining the game to Americans? I can't tell you how tiresome it is to have to hear the TSN guys explain the game to American viewers. Trust me on this one. Americans watching the game already understand football and can pick up the nuisances quick enough without the announcers having to explain something "for our American viewers" every series.
Nuisances? You're not referring to Rod Black now, are you? :twisted:

Oh... I couldn't resist.
Bleeping autocorrect, changing nuances to nuisances.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rodu wrote:with the onside receiver on the punt team, since they don't have to give the five yards, can they stand next to the returner(if they are fast enough) and tackle him as soon as he catches it)
Probably, but what's the point of that? If you're onside for the punt and then you're there together with the returner as the ball comes down, your job is to play the ball not the man.
zark
Champion

Thanks. It's fun on it's own merit. I could care less if Yanks get it or not. Just like THE RED PUCK in hockey.
(aside) I knew you meant nuances.
On yanks in the CFL

O, wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
That has such people in't!
The Tempest (V, i)
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Rodu wrote:with the onside receiver on the punt team, since they don't have to give the five yards, can they stand next to the returner(if they are fast enough) and tackle him as soon as he catches it)
Probably, but what's the point of that? If you're onside for the punt and then you're there together with the returner as the ball comes down, your job is to play the ball not the man.
Agree, why let the opposition have the ball when you can have it ?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Good videos but they can help explain the game to many Canadians too. For e.g. last season I had a rambunctious NFL wannabe sitting behind me one game. He was screaming at the REF for being so blind to allow a catch when the receiver had ONLY gotten one foot down before being hammered out of bounds. There are many quirks (differences?) between the leagues so I figure if you know one that is the lens you use to analyze the game. I follow both but obviously the CFL is my favourite. I'm just glad there have been so many Americans who have come to be grateful this 'other' brand of football existed. Thanks for posting the videos, I enjoyed them....