Training camp 2013 thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Three-day rookie camp ended Saturday and training camp began with the first team meeting.

The Lions shook things up after rookie camp with the release of backup strong-armed QB Jarrett Brown and non-import RB Jide Shinaba the suspension of DL Adrian Awasom, who was obtained from the Argos in the Khalif Mitchell trade.

I'm looking forward to the release of the first training camp depth chart.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:Three-day rookie camp ended Saturday and training camp began with the first team meeting.

The Lions shook things up after rookie camp with the release of backup strong-armed QB Jarrett Brown and non-import RB Jide Shinaba the suspension of DL Adrian Awasom, who was obtained from the Argos in the Khalif Mitchell trade.

I'm looking forward to the release of the first training camp depth chart.
Is it correct to assume that Awasom is a TC no show? If so it is kinda ironic that it was Kalif Mitchell that was doing all the "not showing up at TC" talk yet now is an Argo.
Bosco
Team Captain

What's the story with with Awasom...was he AWOL?

I was looking forward in seeing what he could bring to the D line.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to LU, Awasom a "passport issue." Apparently he has never crossed the border. He was signed by the Argos after the Grey Cup.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Here it is, the most important document of the offseason, the opening training camp depth chart.

The first surprise: Solomon Elimimian starts at MLB, backed up by Anton McKenzie, with Adam Bighill sliding to McKenzie's old spot on the short side. I know Rich Stubler will use a lot of packages but it has to be seen as a demotion for Bighill.

No surprises on the D-line and secondary, or on offence. Emmanuel Arceneaux starts at short-side wide receiver, with Moore and Taylor in the slots. Gore and Iannuzzi keep their positions from last season.

DeMarco and Elliott are listed as second and third-string QBs, respectively, pushed by Hart.

Not listed on the depth chart is highly touted rookie receiver S.J. Haidara, although he is listed on the 80-man roster. The depth chart lists just 79 players. It just appears to be an oversight.
EDIT: The error has now been fixed and Haidara is listed third on the depth chart at Courtney Taylor's slot position (Y), with Jonathan Haggerty moving to fourth on the depth chart at Nick Moore's ranger position.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Interesting Jarrett Brown got handed his walking papers so early.
Bosco
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Interesting Jarrett Brown got handed his walking papers so early.
They were only going to keep 4 QB's going into the main camp (not including Jordan Yantz) so it looks like Brown lost out to Hart in the rookie camp battles.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the depth chart, BCF. It is very interesting.
Not sure Solo should be ahead of Bighill at MLB, based on performance. But both of these guys can play.

LaRose, McGarva and Walker at Safety. Should be OK.

Bell and Shell at Halfbacks.

Hope Korey is happy at LB. Arakgi no longer working at Safety. IMO he better be a standout on STs.

Khreem Smith hanging in there. I get the impression the coaches like him better than some fans. If Jabar gets nicked, I guess we can try to pick up some depth from a Practice Roster.

McKenzie backing up MLB. Could be his last year in that case. I do believe the coaches have lots of respect for AMc.

QB Brown cut. They need the reps for guys ahead of him. I like DeMarco, but he is no sure thing this year. The way Elliott came in at times for the Bombers, I would not mind seeing him get a start here and there. He is a gunslinger. Hart could be Casey redux, the same kind of talent. I feel good about our QBs, despite the absence of Reilly. I am very happy to see Jarious as our QB coach. :thup:

Not showing Thorn as #2 on L/S.

Nice receiving corps: Manny, Moore, Taylor, Gore and Iannuzzi, with Akeem and PJ and EJ backing up. (And rookie Haidara)

O Line Tackles: Archibald, Olafioye, Ossai and 3 guys pushing.

Guards: Kabongo and Norman with Fabien, Albright, Baboulas, Thorn, Lang and Valli pushing.

Centre: Reid (with Baboulas and Albright again) backing up.

Valli must be slow in his recovery to be at the bottom of the depth chart methinks. Or has he fallen in the eyes of the coaches?

First impressions: a loaded roster. With some concerns.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Here it is, the most important document of the offseason, the opening training camp depth chart.

The first surprise: Solomon Elimimian starts at MLB, backed up by Anton McKenzie, with Adam Bighill sliding to McKenzie's old spot on the short side. I know Rich Stubler will use a lot of packages but it has to be seen as a demotion for Bighill.

No surprises on the D-line and secondary, or on offence. Emmanuel Arceneaux starts at short-side wide receiver, with Moore and Taylor in the slots. Gore and Iannuzzi keep their positions from last season.
Only Taylor, Marsh and Smith remain in the same starting positions as last year's Western Final. That is a ton of movement for what many considered the best defence in the league. Good news is the ability to move most of the players back to their old spots if they struggle.

Still really wonder how much room or playing time is there to keep Bighill, Elliminian and McKenzie happy and effective.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Depth Chart ...

Anybody read The Right Stuff? Weeding out. Culling. Weeding out. Until you are down to the best of the best that you have in Camp.

Couple of keys to Wally's long term success: continuity and competition. Look at the amazing leaders coming back. And those veterans look back over their shoulders and see that they have to perform.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

The way Elliott came in at times for the Bombers, I would not mind seeing him get a start here and there.
If he's lucky, it's an audition for Ottawa.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

cromartie wrote:
The way Elliott came in at times for the Bombers, I would not mind seeing him get a start here and there.
If he's lucky, it's an audition for Ottawa.
If Lions are lucky, it's an audition for Ottawa as a team loosing a QB, IIRC gets to protect an additional 2 imports and can't loose another QB.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Thanks BCFAN for the info...good insights by Sammy and WCJ.

The Eliminian move does not surprise me at all...in fact I called it, after the Lions re signed Sol...it just makes sense. Sol is a natural MLB who can dish out punishment inside, outside he becomes a marginal player. Many of you will remember last season that I commented week after week that Biggie, as good as he was inside, was better suited outside, and could become a monster there...this is why I was surprised we kept McKenzie, because his reps will be limited, unless Stubler has plans for the 30 defense this season. Sol and Biggie need to be on the field on every down. This is a huge move, IMO, by Stubler, because Sol and Biggie CAUSE turnovers..and the best defence is a turnover. Banks will be a terror back at the WILL position. But watch for Biggie to put up huge "sexy" stats at the SAM position.

The DLine rotation of Williams x 2, Westerman, Taylor, Smith and Jordan looks very good on paper, especially because everyone except Taylor can play at either spot..this is a true rotation, and if we dress 6 DLinemen (like we did 2 years ago) we are going to cause huge problems for offences, as is Biggie, Sol and Banks weren't enough of a problem.

In the secondary, the HUGE move is officially putting Phillips back out on the wide side corner position. That's where he belongs...he is perfectly suited to the spot, and will be allowed to rove over the wide side, and make a number of big plays...without having to be relied on to do a lot of tackling. Shell should be fine as the wide side HB...his physical presence in the slot will be a big intimidation for opposing receivers. I am excited to see Bell get the nod as Marsh's partner on the short side...he's a great cover guy and I think he will do well. I am surprised to see Lawson moved to become Marsh's backup...he's a good player and better suited for the slot...perhaps the Lions are grooming him to replace Marsh after this season. Let's see if Parks pushes Shell for playing time at HB. As for LaRose, you know my feelings...he will be fine as long as he can stay healthy, which hasn't been able to do.

On the O, the receiving corp is loaded...nuff said. I am surprised to see Fabien backing up Norman at RG, versus than backing up Kanongo...hopefully in the Lions scheme, shuffling to either postion won't be a major adjustment, as I am not sold on Kabongo at his age and size. Baboulas needs to become stronger, smarter and more aggresive this season to become a legitimate backup...he's been undersized and "soft" since he arrived here and that won't cut it. Centre and LG are both looking VERY vulnerable. As for Brown being cut right away, its out of respect to see if he can get a roster spot elsewhere...clearly Hart beat him out...and Elliot's signing sealed his fate.

Let's see if O'Neill's camp will force the release of McCallum, or will they share duties as specualated...all and all, this is looking like a very good team, with a great shot at winning the Cup!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
SammyGreene
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:Thanks BCFAN for the info...good insights by Sammy and WCJ.

The Eliminian move does not surprise me at all...in fact I called it, after the Lions re signed Sol...it just makes sense. Sol is a natural MLB who can dish out punishment inside, outside he becomes a marginal player. Many of you will remember last season that I commented week after week that Biggie, as good as he was inside, was better suited outside, and could become a monster there...this is why I was surprised we kept McKenzie, because his reps will be limited, unless Stubler has plans for the 30 defense this season. Sol and Biggie need to be on the field on every down. This is a huge move, IMO, by Stubler, because Sol and Biggie CAUSE turnovers..and the best defence is a turnover. Banks will be a terror back at the WILL position. But watch for Biggie to put up huge "sexy" stats at the SAM position.

The DLine rotation of Williams x 2, Westerman, Taylor, Smith and Jordan looks very good on paper, especially because everyone except Taylor can play at either spot..this is a true rotation, and if we dress 6 DLinemen (like we did 2 years ago) we are going to cause huge problems for offences, as is Biggie, Sol and Banks weren't enough of a problem.

In the secondary, the HUGE move is officially putting Phillips back out on the wide side corner position. That's where he belongs...he is perfectly suited to the spot, and will be allowed to rove over the wide side, and make a number of big plays...without having to be relied on to do a lot of tackling. Shell should be fine as the wide side HB...his physical presence in the slot will be a big intimidation for opposing receivers. I am excited to see Bell get the nod as Marsh's partner on the short side...he's a great cover guy and I think he will do well. I am surprised to see Lawson moved to become Marsh's backup...he's a good player and better suited for the slot...perhaps the Lions are grooming him to replace Marsh after this season. Let's see if Parks pushes Shell for playing time at HB. As for LaRose, you know my feelings...he will be fine as long as he can stay healthy, which hasn't been able to do.

On the O, the receiving corp is loaded...nuff said. I am surprised to see Fabien backing up Norman at RG, versus than backing up Kanongo...hopefully in the Lions scheme, shuffling to either postion won't be a major adjustment, as I am not sold on Kabongo at his age and size. Baboulas needs to become stronger, smarter and more aggresive this season to become a legitimate backup...he's been undersized and "soft" since he arrived here and that won't cut it. Centre and LG are both looking VERY vulnerable. As for Brown being cut right away, its out of respect to see if he can get a roster spot elsewhere...clearly Hart beat him out...and Elliot's signing sealed his fate.

Let's see if O'Neill's camp will force the release of McCallum, or will they share duties as specualated...all and all, this is looking like a very good team, with a great shot at winning the Cup!
Terrific camp breakdown MLF :thup: Good call on Solo and you're right it does make sense especially with the money they are now paying him. If this is what it takes to get Solo back to his 2010-11 form then I'm all for it. It's funny because during the player introductions at yesterday's Season Ticket Holder Party the one player George Chayka was gushing about the most was Solo and how lucky the Lions were to get the league's most feared defensive player back.

Lots of talent for Stubler to work with on D. Lions are sky high on Julius Williams and it will be interesting to see if he emerges as an all-star in B.C.'s scheme.
Really jacked about the season with the only downer being LU mentioning in today's paper that the 2014 season will be Wally's last before he retires from football.
Rodu
Champion

It's been a long time since I was optimistic about both my football teams, (Chiefs and Lions), but I'm hoping someone forces Kabongo to be backup, he's fine as a backup, but it'll be a glaring weakness if he's playing a whole season there. I feel the same about safety with Larose