Vancouver to host 2014 Grey Cup

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Balraj
All Star

As per LU mentioning in his fifth quarter blog. The lions will host the 2014 grey cup for the 2nd time in 4 years.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/03/07 ... -grey-cup/
zark
Champion

Done deal: Lions get ’14 Grey Cup

It will never be enough times for the Grey Cup to be held here IMO, because we do such a great job.I don't know if there's ever been a poll done, but I bet Vancouver comes in # 1 as THE place to be for Grey Cup action.
Party on the Pacific.

Go Lions :yahoo: :yahoo: :good:
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
274always
All Star

Just as well cuz there probably be won't be another there for a while.
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

This is something I did not know. Kind of adds to my point on another thread about valuing your sponsors.

B.C. officials got wind of the fact the game could come available several months ago and approached the provincial government for funding in order to stage the event.

The government pledged $2.7 million in its most recent budget to help cover costs, having put up $2.01 million to stage the 2011 game. Club president Dennis Skulsky told The Province last month that the local economy more than benefitted by the funds, with some $118 million coming back from out-of-town visitors.

The game was originally ticketed to be played in Winnipeg, which is opening Investors Group Field this summer. Winnipeg officials denied that finances played a factor in deferring the game, suggesting the club wanted to get through a first season of operation.
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/03/07 ... -grey-cup/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

With the current extra costs added to the fanbase of the hosting GC team, this three year separation may be the minimum amount of time for a return to hosting a GC by any team. Since 2000 the rule of thumb has been or it is just coincidence, but the hosting team has been a solid contender for making the GC, thus pushing a great emphasize to the hosting teams fanbase to buy up multiple GC tickets before they hit the open market. I can only hope that the Lions have that same scenario offered up for the 2014 GC season, as it will help for sales, but more importantly it will mean we have some good teams to look forward to until then.

It is an awesome stadium for the league to showcase the premium game of the season, and having the knowledge of viewing the game in comfort certainly helps both the onfield product and the production of the event. Only TO and Vancouver can truly guarantee that to the paying customer 6 - 7 months in advance purchasing, which makes it an easy decision for the league to offer the GC to either/or city once again.

Now the big question is does Braley remain the owner until afterwards reaping the windfall that is GC, or does he try to capitalize on the lucrative GC revenue to boost his asking price?
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Yea!!! Love the activities surrounding the event in Vancouver.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Official now on: http://www.cfl.ca/article/back-to-bc-10 ... -vancouver

It looks like the image of no-fun-city is finally over.

This certainly reminds me of the time when the city hosted it in short intervals 1983, 1986, 1987, and 1990. And each time though, the Lions couldn't capitalize with the GC until 1994. May the Lions repeat 1994 and 2011 at home in 2014! :rockin:

It will be played on the last possible day - November 30.
1972 was the last time the GC was played in December.
Last edited by Robbie on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder if Scott Ackles be the Chairman of the Grey Cup Committee. He did an outstanding job the last two Grey Cups held in Vancouver
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Wonder if Scott Ackles be the Chairman of the Grey Cup Committee. He did an outstanding job the last two Grey Cups held in Vancouver
I wonder the exact same thing. He was a key cog in the last Calgary hosted Grey Cup too, IIRC......
David
Team Captain

My first reaction was that it's not a good idea, but would love to be proven wrong.

3 reasons why it will work:
1) Vancouver is an "event" town. An otherwise unremarkable sports city invariably gets amped up whenever something important comes to town.
2) Now that Vancouver has 'proven' itself with a couple of really successful Cups, it may attract even more out-of-towners as word of mouth has spread that it's a good host city (especially getting the spill-over from those that has to miss Regina 2013 due to accomodation shortage)
3) Right now the Lions are a good team, and selling 54,000+ seats is always an easier sell when there's a better-than-even-chance that the host city will be playing in the game.

3 challenges that can't be overlooked:
1) Grey Cup fatigue. 2011 worked because the last Grey Cup was 6 years prior. This is almost like your neighbours inviting you to two Christmas parties. The first one was fun, but....
This cannot have a whiff of simply rebooting the last one. It has to feel fresh and original.
2) The counterpoint to my second point (above) is that some out-of-towners may pass on this Grey Cup, feeling like they were just here, and instead opt for someplace that feels new and different - such as Winnipeg (2015) or Ottawa/Hamilton(2016).
3) 20 months might seem like a lot of time to organize but there are a hell of lot of pieces to put in place in that time, starting with a Grey Cup Committee. As Lowell Ullrich writes,
First up will be to find a committee chairperson and perhaps a general manager. Past chairman Moray Keith wasn’t in attendance, though it is impossible not to think he won’t be involved, and 2011 GM Scott Ackles has a nice career change going as CEO of viaSport, the provincial government amateur sport body. It’s perhaps why Skulsky said he would take his time naming someone to pull it all together.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:challenge that can't be overlooked:
20 months might seem like a lot of time to organize but there are a hell of lot of pieces to put in place in that time, starting with a Grey Cup Committee. As Lowell Ullrich writes,
First up will be to find a committee chairperson and perhaps a general manager. Past chairman Moray Keith wasn’t in attendance, though it is impossible not to think he won’t be involved, and 2011 GM Scott Ackles has a nice career change going as CEO of viaSport, the provincial government amateur sport body. It’s perhaps why Skulsky said he would take his time naming someone to pull it all together.
I don't recall this first hand but according to this Sun article the 2011 Grey Cup Committee had 33 months of lead time preparation. I wonder if a lot of that might have been needed on account of the fact that BCP was newly refurbished — which might have necessitated a great deal of logistical heavy lifting that wouldn't be necessary next time around. The article also echoes LU's comments on Scott Ackles.

Excerpt:
Skulsky said he is confident the Lions organization has enough lead time to raise the bar even higher than the previous Grey Cup game and festival, which ended with a crowning touch — a sixth Grey Cup title for the home team.

Last time, however, the awarding of the 99th Grey Cup game was announced 33 months before the actual event. The 102nd edition will have to be organized and set in motion in a more compacted schedule.

Scott Ackles, who has an extensive background in event management, was general manager of the 2005 and 2011 Grey Cups in Vancouver and the 2009 Grey Cup in Calgary, when he was president of the Stampeders. He’s now the CEO of viaSport, a not-for-profit organization that oversees legacies from the 2010 Vancouver-Whistler Winter Olympics.

“The structure might look a little bit different than last time,” Skulsky said. “The CFL is also playing a more active role. We’re not sure about titles or needs just yet. We’ll have to name somebody (GM) over the next few months. We’ve got to start building the organization, because the game is not that far away.”

“The business plan, the game plan, are all in place,” Braley added.

It is estimated the Lions’ owner made a profit of around $7 million from the 99th Grey Cup game.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I don't think the CFL or the Lions are going to invite Angelo Mosca and Joe Kapp :wink:
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:I don't think the CFL or the Lions are going to invite Angelo Mosca and Joe Kapp :wink:
Think of the interest that would draw to any event they attend...money in the bank, if you ask me. :beer:
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I don't think the CFL or the Lions are going to invite Angelo Mosca and Joe Kapp :wink:
Think of the interest that would draw to any event they attend...money in the bank, if you ask me. :beer:
True, it would certainly garner a lot of media attention.