Welcome back Jarious!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Jarious Jackson has been released by the Argos and reportedly coming back to BC to become the Lions' QB coach. I think many of us felt when JJ left for Hogtown last year there was likely a standing offer of a coaching position in BC when he hung up his cleats.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/jackson-relea ... hing-staff
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
dfootball
Rookie

Great to see him back i think he was one of the big reasons Lulay had a big season in 2011.

his best season was in 2007 when he took us to the western final, at a 9-3 record as a starter, man can he throw a football.
South Pender
Legend

Interesting. And fine--as a coach. Who's he replacing? Did we have a QB coach last season?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's an interesting change in the coaching staff, losing a receivers coach and adding a quarterbacks coach. Jacques Chapdelaine can again work with the receivers, which was his specialty, just as Mike Benevides still works with linebackers on defence.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:It's an interesting change in the coaching staff, losing a receivers coach and adding a quarterbacks coach. Jacques Chapdelaine can again work with the receivers, which was his specialty, just as Mike Benevides still works with linebackers on defence.
That is the way this unfolds? Not sure that I am a fan of JC taking over more of the O. As he is generally focused on throwing the ball anyways, now with his resume counting on that production, I suspect that the run game will become less involved. No problems with Jarious returning, he was a standup backup QB for the Lions without causing any ripples, a team guy who will have to suck it up a little with JC as the OC.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I love this guy.

Welcome back, Jarious.

Great move by Wally.

Yes, many of us have felt that Jarious has always been a coach on the sideline. An absolutely great team guy.

And as QB coach, it would allow JC to be OC and receivers coach, if it comes to that.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Heard that the Lions' will sign Jackson to a one day contract so he can officially retire as a BC Lions then become a quarterback coach.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Yep., BCFAN has this one figured out...JJ in as QB coach and JC remains as OC and now back to WR coach, and this confirms that Travis Moore is gone...JJ is a stand up guy and a good team mate...plus now we have 2 coaches you can play in case of emergency...Bates and JJ...just kidding...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Just listening to McCallum on Team1040 he says adding Jarious to the coaching staff is huge. Nothing but accolades.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

This is a good move as this guy is no doubt got a penchant for coaching and we know he was not one to sulk if sat out and in his view it was undeserved. He was not afraid to speak up - but he did not upset the mix on the team. Sounds like a good move for BC and good for QBs and also might launch JJ into coaching where he might even be a HC - not sure of his desire in that area.

Wally has been in the CFL to know that pulling a Jackie Parker from coaching to playing like done in the old days was a bad thing for the player and not the right direction for a team and in those days QBs were not brought along slowly and definitely not in BC.

I suspect that Jarius is not coming to BC as a potential back up QB. The GM has no doubt got the assurance from Jackson that he is happy to move to coaching and the signing of Jackson to retire as Lion was quite likely even discussed with Toronto.

JC is no QB coach and while Wally dumped Kruck for a "stronger coach" I used to see practices and with Kruck there the QBs (4) BP, DD, JJ, CP were all getting work and at times 1 on 1 - something the OC can't do as he is too busy with the larger job.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Glad to see him back. In some ways its weird just because you see guys like Washington and now Jackson as players for so many years and now they are Coaches. I never saw or remembered Buono as a player so he's not the same, for me. I'm sure there are Lions fans who don't remember Chapdelaine, Washington, Miles and now Jackson as players. I have to admit JC has been coaching long enough, I almost forget his time catching (most of the time) passes as a Lion. Wonder if Geroy will be doing something similar down the road? I know his time in between the lines is not yet done but maybe he's got coaching as something he'd want to do?

I am not at all surprised about Jackson. JJ and Miles were both Lions players you'd hear players and coaches saying "as soon as they are done, they will be coaches". So not surprising at all......
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I guess his 1st task is to teach Thomas DeMarco or someone else how to execute the short yardage plunge.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html
“Jarious is no longer Travis’s teammate and friend,” said head coach Mike Benevides. “He’s here to help him improve. Everything he’s learned through his life experiences, and as a player, he can use.”

During his time as a Lions quarterback, Jackson was a mentor, supporter, tutor and facilitator for Lions starters such as Dave Dickenson, Buck Pierce, Casey Printers and Lulay. With no experienced backup behind Lulay, however, Benevides felt it was absolutely necessary to have a wise, old hand on board who can aid in the development of young quarterbacks such as Thomas DeMarco, Jarrett Brown and — possibly — Casey Therriault.
It has seemed that Therriault is still on the Lions' radar.
In order to make room for Jackson on staff, the Lions decided to allow Moore to seek “other opportunities.”
This was handled quietly, but it now seems that Moore was released in the attempt to balance the QB coaching needs and the receiver needs.
Offensive coordinator Jacques Chapdelaine now assumes a dual portfolio, adding receivers coach to his title.
OC and receivers coach.
“Travis (Moore) is an outstanding person, but we had to formulate our staff differently,” Benevides said. “I saw the void left by Mike (Reilly) and I’m trying to fill that void with Jarious. I wanted a quarterbacks coach that Travis (Lulay) could lean on. But there’s also a lot Jacques can provide our young receivers as their position coach. I think he’ll do an outstanding job of teaching those guys.”
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I never understood when Wally dumped Kruck and went with JC as QB coach. The Receivers can be far more active during training than QBs and it makes more sense to keep a QB coach. Also JC was a REC. Were the Lions happy with the work of Travis Moore? I have no idea.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy