Wally is the GM of the entire CFL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Big Time
Champion

Wally should seriously be getting paid by at least half the teams. So far in this offseason, he has managed to improve the Lions, the Esks, the Riders, and the Als through various personnel moves. The depth on the Lions is absolutely amazing that they can get rid of Bruce, Simon, Reilly, Parker and it actually looks like they will be as good as last year.

Kudos to Wally for spreading the wealth around while positioning the Lions to continue their dominance in the future.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:Wally should seriously be getting paid by at least half the teams. So far in this offseason, he has managed to improve the Lions, the Esks, the Riders, and the Als through various personnel moves. The depth on the Lions is absolutely amazing that they can get rid of Bruce, Simon, Reilly, Parker and it actually looks like they will be as good as last year.

Kudos to Wally for spreading the wealth around while positioning the Lions to continue their dominance in the future.
This off season has been a very good indicator of Wally's wisdom in action. It has been that way throughout his career. He is grounded in reality, and he gives each situation the attention and time its decisions deserve.

Kudos, Wally. :thup:

And once again, I thank Bobby Ackles for bringing us Don Matthews and Wally Buono. :thup:
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Big Time wrote:Wally should seriously be getting paid by at least half the teams. So far in this offseason, he has managed to improve the Lions, the Esks, the Riders, and the Als through various personnel moves. The depth on the Lions is absolutely amazing that they can get rid of Bruce, Simon, Reilly, Parker and it actually looks like they will be as good as last year.

This off season has been a very good indicator of Wally's wisdom in action. It has been that way throughout his career. He is grounded in reality, and he gives each situation the attention and time its decisions deserve.

And once again, I thank Bobby Ackles for bringing us Don Matthews and Wally Buono. :thup:
You may want to put a little thanks in there for F-troop in Calgary as well. Without them, I bet Wally is still hated as a Stamp GM/HC.

This move does put the pressure on him to find the next QB, something that he has been granted time and time again.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

:wink:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

:wink:
MexicoLionFan
Legend

So far it has been a good off season for the Leos and the league...thanks to Wally for doing such a great job with the Leos...nice to see Gore signed today!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

You may want to put a little thanks in there for F-troop in Calgary as well. Without them, I bet Wally is still hated as a Stamp GM/HC.

This move does put the pressure on him to find the next QB, something that he has been granted time and time again.
Rammer's right. If not for the idiots in Calgary then, Wally would still be there. He was not ever leaving Calgary - period. He seems to put down roots and sure had in Calgary and he is like other HCs or GMs who moved for money or better situations.

The issue for the Lions with so many changes are twofold:

1. Do they lose the mix - the chemistry - they need to keep a winning team.

2. Will these guys the two vet REC will be replaced by keep progressing or hit a plateau.

The moves of players out are not surprising when you have an SMS of $4.4 this year.

Developing the next QBs has been tougher in BC due to the offense not giving up so many QB injuries than in the days of DD, CP, JJ and BP.

Moneyball is a good parallel as to how to work under the SMS. I used this clip yesterday in our presentation and the crowd loved. We bleeped the F-word at the end.

"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder when Buono and Benevides is going to address the issue of Paul McCallum. Is he coming back or will the Lions go with Hugh O'Neil ?
Hawkballer 14
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:Wonder when Buono and Benevides is going to address the issue of Paul McCallum. Is he coming back or will the Lions go with Hugh O'Neil ?
Based on the "Go with the kids" theme that we've seen this off-season, I'd say that Paul is a goner.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

To be able to trade two players who were otherwise expected to become free agents is an amazing accomplishment. Kudos to Wally.
Rammer
Team Captain

Hawkballer 14 wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Wonder when Buono and Benevides is going to address the issue of Paul McCallum. Is he coming back or will the Lions go with Hugh O'Neil ?
Based on the "Go with the kids" theme that we've seen this off-season, I'd say that Paul is a goner.
I don't think that McCallum is going anywhere, otherwise Wally would have given him release already out of respect for a veteran as he so often does, ala Bruce.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:I don't think that McCallum is going anywhere, otherwise Wally would have given him release already out of respect for a veteran as he so often does, ala Bruce.
News1130 reported last week that Wally told McCallum he'll have to fight for his job this year. That will be an interesting battle. I can't see O'Neill being stashed on the injured list for a third season.
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
Buono has told veteran kicker Paul McCallum he has to fight for a job at camp with Hugh Oneil. No gaurentees. McCallum ok with that.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Paul just turned 43. At the very least O'Neill should be doing punts and kickoffs next year. Paul has been great for us since 2006 but at his age we don't need another Sean Whyte scenario.
Blitz
Team Captain

I believe, without question, that Wally has done his best job as a GM, ever since he relinquished his Head Coaching duties and focused solely on the GM role.

That said, I really don`t see why Wally is being viewed as doing such a great job regarding the Reilly trade to Edmonton. First of all, we may be trading a quarterback who will start for Edmonton next season. Secondly, even though Reilly was going to be a free agent there were three teams competing for his services, involving Hamilton, Winnipeg and Edmonton. Yes, Reilly was going to be a free agent but with the competition of three teams vying for Reilly, a second round draft choice in 2014 and an exchange of second rounders for this upcoming season, is not that huge of a return.

Yes, we could have received nothing but with three teams wanting him, the situation was different. We also now have Reilly in the West rather than with an eastern team like Hamilton or Winnipeg, who we will play two less games against next season.

I believe the better deal was trading Geroy to the Riders. It was the only team that Geroy wanted to go to and Taman could have waited for Geroy to be released. Instead Taman played fair ball, gave us something in return, and Wally was wise to let Geroy go shopping prior to his contract due date, and then negotiating with Taman.

The good news is the Gore signing. We had the money to sign Gore, with Arland and Geroy gone and we will still have money left over to go after a free agent lineman.

With Wally doing his best GM job ever and with Roy Shivers waking up in Las Vegas the last couple of seasons our personell has really improved and things look positive for next season. We also have a couple of good prospects lined up to compete with DeMarco for the backup quarterback jobs.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:I believe, without question, that Wally has done his best job as a GM, ever since he relinquished his Head Coaching duties and focused solely on the GM role.

That said, I really don`t see why Wally is being viewed as doing such a great job regarding the Reilly trade to Edmonton. First of all, we may be trading a quarterback who will start for Edmonton next season. Secondly, even though Reilly was going to be a free agent there were three teams competing for his services, involving Hamilton, Winnipeg and Edmonton. Yes, Reilly was going to be a free agent but with the competition of three teams vying for Reilly, a second round draft choice in 2014 and an exchange of second rounders for this upcoming season, is not that huge of a return.
Yeah, I'm, going to disagree with you here. The alternative was, Reilly walks and goes to Edmonton or Winnipeg for nothing. A swap of 2nds and a 2014 2nd for someone you would lose in two weeks is pretty good, all things considered. No one is parting with a 1st for a guy they aren't guaranteed to sign. Draft picks matter to everyone not named Brendan Taman.

As for it being the West, your two largest suitors were Edmonton and Winnipeg. Winnipeg will be in the west in 2014 anyway with the return of Ottawa. I like Reilly, but I don't fear him enough that I must trade him out of the division. There is nothing wrong with this move.