Dennis Skulsky's "state of the nation" on TEAM1040 today

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Fellas,

Here are the highlights of Dennis Skusky's Q&A with Tom Mayenknecht this morning on flagship station TEAM1040.

* Didn't give an exact number of tickets sold for the WF, but predicted "around the 45,000 number – maybe a little less or maybe a little more." “It is what it is...
40,000 or 45,000 is still a lot of people - it will be the biggest event in the city this year."

* Agreed with Mayenknecht that an extra 3,000 -5,000 would have been at the game had we played the Riders.

* Leos becoming more of a road draw (didn't get into specifics, but it was an answer to "Rider Nation" phenomenon). 50% of league merchandising the last 5 years (average) has been Riders. But Mayenecht suggested the Lions are cutting into this.

* Ratings on radio very strong – didn’t give specifics.

* 2-3% increase this year in league attendance.

* Tremendous base of players here. 23 players stayed in the off-season and became engaged and were out and about in the community. It’s the biggest number in the CFL (and of course, beats the local sports teams).

* Corporate sponsorship “inspiring” – significant growth. Corporate revenue grew 25%, coming on the heels of a 54% growth the previous year.

* BC was nudged out by the Riders for #1 TV property in the CFL. Average 770,000 viewers (Riders ended up around 795,000). BC had 5 local blackouts this year though which would have affected the numbers somewhat.

* Is there an opportunity to develop a CFL network down the road, was something he threw out.

* Lions attendance growth this year will be close to the league number. Revenue from ticket sales a little stronger. “I’m a little disappointed and surprised" he continued "that we haven’t had bigger growth given that the success on the field and the personalties that we have (quality people) and the backdrop of this outstanding venue in BC Place." Reognized that the economy isn't bouyant.

* 60th Season upcoming - will build on this theme for next year.

* Q: Will you look at "capacity management' and entry level price points?
A: We are going to look at everything, but we have an entry level of $26 - we think this is reasonable. Could there be other opportunities? Absolutely, and that's what we're going to explore.

We've begun meetings with the stadium to explore what options we have to create a good atmosphere.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Is there an opportunity to develop a CFL network down the road, was something he threw out.
How did that work out in the late 1980s?
50% of league merchandising the last 5 years (average) has been Riders. But Mayenecht suggested the Lions are cutting into this.
David, as much as you and I are both significant fans of the all black look, I have to concede that the emphasis on orange helps considerably.
Big Time
Champion

$26 may be the lowest price but when you tack on the $8 service charge per ticket, it makes a huge difference on the price. I was shocked when I had a two for one coupon and the cost was $51 for the pair. They still charged $8 per ticket so the one $35 ticket became $51 even with the coupon.
dtrain
Starter

Seat pricing: does anyone know of any other teams that charge the same price for upper bowl seats as lower bowl?
I thnk that hurts them considerably.
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote: * Lions attendance growth this year will be close to the league number. Revenue from ticket sales a little stronger. “I’m a little disappointed and surprised" he continued "that we haven’t had bigger growth given that the success on the field and the personalties that we have (quality people) and the backdrop of this outstanding venue in BC Place." Reognized that the economy isn't bouyant.

We'll I am a little disappointed that Skulsky didn't review our attendance thread and understand that Lion's ticket pricing is attendance limiting. To be shocked now is going to be mild in comparison to how he will be when the on field product doesn't match the current edition of the Lion's.

Canadian's by trait look for value based pricing, the sooner that is understood by management and certain sections given a better price point (family) the future attendance will be reliant on the current ST holder base. To quote Chance the Gardener, "In the garden, growth has its seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter.", this is springtime for this franchise, you must grow the roots in order to enjoy the fruit of your labour and to sustain the harsh winter.
Entertainment value = an all time low
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
David wrote: To quote Chance the Gardener, "In the garden, growth has its seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter.", this is springtime for this franchise, you must grow the roots in order to enjoy the fruit of your labour and to sustain the harsh winter.
I'd argue (and will, after the season) that it's a bit closer to mid/late Summer, actually.
vanhalendlrband
Rookie

They should let you watch every old CFL game ever televised. At least the Grey Cups, say on a CFL network website that could support the CFL network as opposed to the late 80's.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Thanks so much David...great analysis, and good to know what the Lions are doing and thinking...I think tackling the CAPACITY issue should be #1 for the Lions...yes, you don't want to take advantage of Season Ticket holders, but there has to be a way to get an extra 5,000-10,000 fans to attend every home game...with the cost of gas, parking, food, service fees on the tickets, getting those upper bowl tickets down in price should be priority #1...they could do something along the lines of 4 for $100 for any upper bowl ticket from the end zones out to the 10 yard lines...now that would be value for any family...these days you can barely take your family to a movie for less than that...and we are taking about watching the best team in the league in one of the nicest stadiums on EARTH!

Thanks again!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
David
Team Captain

Rammer wrote: Canadian's by trait look for value based pricing, the sooner that is understood by management and certain sections given a better price point (family) the future attendance will be reliant on the current ST holder base. To quote Chance the Gardener, "In the garden, growth has its seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter.", this is springtime for this franchise, you must grow the roots in order to enjoy the fruit of your labour and to sustain the harsh winter.
Well put Phil.

Without beating this to death (there's a whole thread on marketing/pricing, which of course spread to the Western Final attendance thread too), I really think Mr. Skulsky is out of touch with the working stiff from the 'burbs with a family. I am more "upscale urban," but I sympathize with this demographic; a guy should be able to take his family to a CFL game without blowing a pay cheque (look around BC Place. Walk the concourse. Sadly, there really aren't that many young kids at Lions games aside from players' families). Skulsky comes across very well intentioned and I really do believe he's a good guy. But more and more it appears that he drank this "Pride Of All BC" Kool Aid, and now seems both defensive and defiant about the minimum price of admission to watch his team play.

And to claim their entry level ticket price is $26 is grossly misleading. Sure, if you commit to 10 games. But even then you still have to pay a service fee and HST.

(and Cro, I completely agree that 'orange' has given this team a real identity. Would just like to see a little more black in the unis, that's all).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:look around BC Place. Walk the concourse. Sadly, there really aren't that many young kids at Lions games aside from players' families
I've already said this, but evening games dominating the schedule doesn't help either. For most parents in the burbs, getting their young kids to bed approaching midnight or later can't be a very fan-friendly part of the equation, even on Fri or Sat nights when most games are played. I never bothered to observe as you suggested the age distribution closely for the three day games this year but surely it didn't hurt in that respect.

I agree with your notion that DS, while well-meaning, has a hard time seeing the picture from other than his viewpoint. I've mentioned before the book "Made to Stick", in which there's a phrase that matches his mindset well: like many who strive to win marketplace acceptance, he seems to be working under the "Curse of Knowledge". It's as if he's playing charades and is genuinely confused why the market hasn't decoded his mimes. Anyone who's ever had a lousy schoolteacher or univ prof would prob know well what I'm talking about.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I too think Skulsky is a good guy who bleeds orange. I really think one of his first objectives when he became president was to up the value of a Lions ticket. Sort of pull the club away from the Giants, Canadians and to a lesser extent the Whitecaps and go more after more white collar clients which is no coincidence his background. This plan has really kicked in since the move into BC Place as they try to sell the world class stadium experience.

I think Braley had some of Skulsky's Kool-Aid regarding this when he made this statement to Lowell Ullrich last month in a Q and A story:
A talking point with the Lions are ticket prices and there's usually little reason to think they would be lowered. Any chance it will come under a review with the 2013 season ticket-renewal campaign underway and playoff tickets for this year going on sale today, or does your new stadium lease make that difficult?

"The mistake we made early was that tickets were too cheap and weren't worth having. When you do your survey information, and we spent $10-20,000 a year with people who do that, the average combined household income of a ticket buyer is $112,000. We're 89 per cent sold out of (premium) season tickets. We just asked our season ticket holders to ante up for next year and I'd say two-thirds of them paid in the first three days. In B.C. I make money every game."
And yes it means thanks to a higher average ticket price the Lions can make money with crowds averaging 29,000. But short term gain may lead to long term pain.

Between private suites, club seats, Club Orange and premium seats there are already plenty of options for the upscale urban crowd. The BC Place seat inventory is large enough to attract budget conscious families and individuals as well for a night out, not just season tickets. Someone needs to drill this into the business side of the operation or at the very least make sure the blackout is lifted for every game so they don't lose a younger generation fans.

Hopefully they will revisit the 7-Eleven deal as it has been an epic failure as all the empty seats in the WF indicated and previous games. Again a $5 discount per seat is hardly a deal.

Sort of off-topic but I haven't been to a Seahawks game lately. Is there any kids at their games too?? Anytime they pan the crowd it's all crazed adults.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:For most parents in the burbs, getting their young kids to bed approaching midnight or later can't be a very fan-friendly part of the equation, even on Fri or Sat nights when most games are played. I never bothered to observe as you suggested the age distribution closely for the three day games this year but surely it didn't hurt in that respect.
I hate day games but I noticed a lot of young families and kids at the two Saturday afternoon games. A lot of regulars weren't there, though, and average attendance at those games was about 1,200 below the season average. I couldn't give a pair of extra tickets away to either game and scalpers didn't want to buy them because there was little demand from casual buyers.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

dtrain wrote:Seat pricing: does anyone know of any other teams that charge the same price for upper bowl seats as lower bowl?
I thnk that hurts them considerably.
go

Saskatchewan offers no price breaks upper vs lower. The highest row in the stadium is the same price as the first row at field level regardless of price group. Their prices only change as you get farther away from midfield going towards the endzone. Cheapest adult sideline season ticket runs $549 all included if you buy before Dec.19. Similar BC STs would run $460 plus :4( and facility fees. Pretty sure Montreal dings same price from top to bottom. Edmonton is a different stadium kettle of fish. True they offer cheaper seats up high. They have at least 15 rows that would be outside of BC Place looking in. They also have probably 80% of their seats between the goal lines. They probably have 10000 extra seats between the goal lines vs BC that are also worde seats than any available between the BCP goalline.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
ziggy
Legend

I saw lots of young people heading over from the Island to take in the game. Most ended up walking on, taking public transit and attempting to return the same day to save money. If you think it's expensive going to a game from the lower mainland, think about how it is for folks on the Island. Constantly rising ferry fares, hotels and meals have reduced the number of people attending events in general on the mainland, not just football games. Im not complaining, just stating the facts, I go to less games because I have trouble justifying the cost and I think many people are in the same boat.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

MexicoLionFan wrote: ..yes, you don't want to take advantage of Season Ticket holders, but there has to be a way to get an extra 5,000-10,000 fans to attend every home game...with the cost of gas, parking, food, service fees on the tickets, getting those upper bowl tickets down in price should be priority #1...

Thanks again!

The problem I have with some of that MLF is there seems to be a train of thought amongst the pricing critics that the Lions should effectively subsidize the fans for the cost of parking, gas and food; things they have no control over nor receive any revenues from. It's like some want the Lions to minimize their revenue so the fan can in turn put more into the hands of Impark, Pavco and Petrocan. It would be interesting to know how BC's stadium lease works but I have a hunch they don't make much on a $26 ticket given unlike some other teams they don't get revenues for concessions and parking. At the end of the day it's all about revenue generation and more folks through the turnstiles doesn't necessarily equal more revenue. The tough balancing act is to come up withthat purrfect pricing structure that will generate the most revenue.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.