Lions Nominees

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Travis Lulay - Most Outstanding Player

Andrew Harris - Top Canadian

Adam Bighill - Defensive Player

Tim Brown - Special Teamns

Jovan Olafioye - Outstanding Lineman

Jabar Westerman - Top Rookie
Big Time
Champion

I see that Lulay is the only one that actually made it as the West representative for MOP. He'll be squaring off against Anthony Calvillo. That's a toss up IMO. AC has been typical AC but nothing spectacular. I think Lulay has been better when he has played but missing the last two and possibly three games will hurt his chances.

I really can't believe that Harris got no consideration as top Canadian. Apparently Cornish was the unanimous choice. Yes, Cornish is having a good year but aren't Harris' stats better? He's a better all purpose back than Cornish.

I also think that the CFL really doesn't do their league any favours by announcing the club selections and then the division selections on the same day. Why not wait a week so that the players can enjoy being the club nominees, and letting the fans debate over who should be the divisional representatives? It seems very strange to make these announcements when there's still a week to play. What if Harris has a huge game on the last day of the season? There really was no reason why they couldn't have done these votes after the season had finished.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The conference finalists are announced next week.
Big Time
Champion

My bad. I read the article at http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=408542 and the way it was written made it sound like it was already a done deal that Lulay was squaring off against Calvillo for MOP.

As you were :wink:
MexicoLionFan
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Travis Lulay - Most Outstanding Player

Andrew Harris - Top Canadian

Adam Bighill - Defensive Player

Tim Brown - Special Teamns

Jovan Olafioye - Outstanding Lineman

Jabar Westerman - Top Rookie
Thanks so much TLK...good choices all around, although we would be remiss not to mention Harris for MOP as well...he had an amazing season, stayed sound, and was incredibly valuable...

As for WC Finalists, I see Lulay, Bighill, Olafoye and Westerman all making it...Harris should as well, but likely the voters will go with Cornish...

I see Lulay and Bighill winning the finalist awards!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

MexicoLionFan wrote:[I see Lulay and Bighill winning the finalist awards!
Bighill will be in tough against JC Sherritt. They both have put in similar seasons playing a similar style. Bighill has more sacks, Sherritt more tackles and interceptions. By mid-August a lot of pundits already had Sherritt pretty much a lock thanks to his fast start.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Bighill will be in tough against JC Sherritt. They both have put in similar seasons playing a similar style. Bighill has more sacks, Sherritt more tackles and interceptions. By mid-August a lot of pundits already had Sherritt pretty much a lock thanks to his fast start.

True enough, but the rest of the league, including TSN is on the Sherrit making most of his tackles 10 yards downfield...yes, he makes tackles, sideline to sideline, but a MLB needs to be an impact player, and that is making plays in the opposition back field, not your own endzone...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Upper Bowl
Starter

I’m sure I won’t find much agreement here, but I firmly believe Keron should have received our defensive nomination. Sure, Bighill has been great – much better than I thought he’d be this season. I just feel Keron has been more consistent and effective throughout the entire season.

Middle linebackers are the quarterbacks of the defence, and they’re able to rack up stats (especially in the CFL) and therefore often receive more credit than they deserve – just like many QBs. I find it so lazy that sports reporters keep giving Bighill ‘player of the game’ and weekly awards. They seem to rely on stats even more than fans do.

Even when Keron isn’t racking up sacks, he’s consistently been wreaking havoc off the corner, imploding offensive lines and making life miserable for opposing quarterbacks. Bighill has been a prime beneficiary of this pressure, much the way Ray Lewis has benefitted from great D-lines in Baltimore for so many years.

Don’t get me wrong, Keron is respected and appreciated – just not to the level he deserves, in my opinion.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
I think Bighill will get the nod for the Western conference Nominee by virtue of where the Lions finish in the standings. Edmonton is fighting for their playoff lives. It can be argued that Bighill has a bigger impact on the Lions as opposed to Sterritt for the Eskimoes.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:I think Bighill will get the nod for the Western conference Nominee by virtue of where the Lions finish in the standings. Edmonton is fighting for their playoff lives. It can be argued that Bighill has a bigger impact on the Lions as opposed to Sterritt for the Eskimoes.
Plus the fact Edmonton's defence is ranked last in the league in most key categories, including yards rushing, yards passing, total yards, average yards per rush and many more. B.C.'s defence is ranked first in most categories.
David
Team Captain

I said before the game started, that voters would pay close attention to the Harris Vs Cornish battle last week. Sucks, but I believe they were waiting for the final head-to-head battle before casting their votes, as they are both extremely valuable to their team yet ultimately, have slightly different skill sets (I think Cornish is a better A gap back and slightly harder to bring down once he gets a head of steam, but Harris is a better all-purpose back - shiftier and a better receiver).

It worked to Cornish's advantage as his club steamrolled the Lions. Andrew never stood much of a chance against a fired up Calgary D and with an over-matched O-line. His frustration was palpable. I believe he knew it was his showcase game too.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:I said before the game started, that voters would pay close attention to the Harris Vs Cornish battle last week. Sucks, but I believe they were waiting for the final head-to-head battle before casting their votes, as they are both extremely valuable to their team yet ultimately, have slightly different skill sets (I think Cornish is a better A gap back and slightly harder to bring down once he gets a head of steam, but Harris is a better all-purpose back - shiftier and a better receiver).

It worked to Cornish's advantage as his club steamrolled the Lions. Andrew never stood much of a chance against a fired up Calgary D and with an over-matched O-line. His frustration was palpable. I believe he knew it was his showcase game too.

I really think it sucked too...because it was the last impression for voters. I really believe that Harris deserves the nod for MOC. In todays game a running back has to be more than a runner. He needs to be a threat out of the backfield as a receiver. Harris is a double threat guy. He also opens things up for our passing attack because defenses have to adjust to defend him. Andrew Harris is also a better representative for the CFL.

However, I think that our play in the Calgary game has likely knocked out Harris for the award and it will go to Jon Cornish. If that is the case, it will make me very sad. Harris has made so many spectacular plays this season.

I was in favor of Harris also being our MOP. Lulay is deserving of the award as well but his numbers are mostly down from last season and Harris has enjoyed such an outstanding year. I would have loved to see a Canadian on our team up for the most outstanding player award.

Bighill is a better player than Sherritt but that may not mean anything when it comes down to the voting. I would have selected Archibald over Olofoye for top lineman. He has been more consistent than Olofoye this season.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:I said before the game started, that voters would pay close attention to the Harris Vs Cornish battle last week. Sucks, but I believe they were waiting for the final head-to-head battle before casting their votes, as they are both extremely valuable to their team yet ultimately, have slightly different skill sets (I think Cornish is a better A gap back and slightly harder to bring down once he gets a head of steam, but Harris is a better all-purpose back - shiftier and a better receiver).

Very true about the game being the watermark test. Too bad that the Lions didn't need to win anything and the Stamps needed to prove themselves vs the Lions just to offer some hope in a possible WDF showdown. Reilly doesn't have Lulay's time buying ability yet, nor a nice touch pass to Harris on a release. So besides an makeshift OL, a new QB, Harris had to deal with the Lions wanting to limit his touches, he wasn't going to win the head to head battle in this game, and I don't think that the selectors will have that in mind when the final vote is cast.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Harris vs Cornish makes an interesting comparison. Harris is definitely more productive as a receiver but some teams like to swing passes to their backs more than others. Some look at those plays as being extensions of the running game. Cornish started slowly with only 200 yards rushing in the first 5 games but has averaged 100/game in the 12 since then. After week 5 Harris had something like a 250 yard edge in rushing over Cornish but now trails by over 300. When it comes to combined yards from scrimmage Harris leads the league has the new CFL record for Canadians. Cornish has also surpassed Terry Evanshen's old mark and trails Harris by 47 yards; 1767 to 1720. Not to be forgotten In between the two is Rider RB Korey Sheets who is only 7 yards behind Harris with 1760. Like Harris he too didn't get the nod for team MOP. That went to Dressler.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:Harris vs Cornish makes an interesting comparison. Harris is definitely more productive as a receiver but some teams like to swing passes to their backs more than others. Some look at those plays as being extensions of the running game. Cornish started slowly with only 200 yards rushing in the first 5 games but has averaged 100/game in the 12 since then. After week 5 Harris had something like a 250 yard edge in rushing over Cornish but now trails by over 300. When it comes to combined yards from scrimmage Harris leads the league has the new CFL record for Canadians. Cornish has also surpassed Terry Evanshen's old mark and trails Harris by 47 yards; 1767 to 1720. Not to be forgotten In between the two is Rider RB Korey Sheets who is only 7 yards behind Harris with 1760. Like Harris he too didn't get the nod for team MOP. That went to Dressler.
The other factor being which team supplies the MOP, if it is the Lions and Lulay, it will become even more difficult for the voters to reason a 50/50 selection with a Lions pick. Can't see the Lions wanting to give Harris enough touches to make him a candidate in all honesty, he will be relied upon come the post season and needed.
Entertainment value = an all time low