Ernest Jackson May Start Against Hamilton

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Its looking like a good possibility that Ernest Jackson will start against Hamilton. He was taking first team reps at practice and will likely be the starter this weekend.

With Ernest Jackson and Mark Iannuzzi starting on the outside and Nick Moore and Courtney Taylor likely starting in the slots again, with Simon still nursing his hamstring and Bruce still experiencing headaches from his concussion.

This receiving lineup excites me. By bringing Jackson back on the outside we have size and speed at the short wide out. Iannuzzi brings us speed at the wideside. Inside, with Gore, Moore, and Taylor, we have speed to burn as well as more size as well.

The article by LU is posted below..

Kierrie Johnson could be odd-man out this week for the Lions in Hamilton.

It wouldn’t be right if there wasn’t at least one change with the Lions these days but it would appear from practice Monday that a move being contemplated is not being forced on them through injury but by design.

Whether it is a desire to have more production from the position or just someone with more size, Ernest Jackson was working with the first unit during an abridged workout and Kierrie Johnson was not. And no, Johnson wasn’t hurt either, according to the club. Johnson had 37 yards from four throws which went his way against Calgary, three of which were catches.

If you’re interested by the way, the favoured target in an offence without Geroy Simon and Arland Bruce was Nick Moore, who caught five of the team-high nine throws in his direction from Travis Lulay, which likely would reaffirm how the offence is built with Simon as the primary target.

You can debate the merits of a possible Johnson/Jackson move, but the nice part for the Lions these days is that there can at least be a switch made where the results could be positive and not done because the production wasn’t good enough.

It does, however, mean that Simon and Bruce are not ready to return, as Mike Benevides suggested. Neither is Khalif Mitchell, nor was Eric Taylor anywhere to be seen other than the training room. Taylor needed an air cast to exit the game Saturday but said that was more precautionary. Maurice Evans will likely get his roster spot back.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
lion24
Legend

I am a big supporter of Jackson, but I think Johnson has actually played pretty well and has made some key catches. He is all speed but I have seen some pretty good hands as well making some good catches to extend drives and not just to go deep.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I suspect this is less about Johnson not performing and more about the potential and desire to get Jackson into the game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
lion24
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:I suspect this is less about Johnson not performing and more about the potential and desire to get Jackson into the game.
I would agree as Jackson's physical tools are hard to dismiss and his past performance in a small sample size has been really good. I just can't help but think Johnson will be another player to eventually leave and have a big impact with another team.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
South Pender
Legend

Sorry to read that Mitchell will likely sit out the Hamilton game. We need him in there.
joe kapp22
Legend

To me it sounds like pre playoff lineup shuffling to see can do what we on the spot.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

From Rick Dhaliwal of News1130 Sports:
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
#Lions gm Wally Buono says his team leaves tomorrow for HAM without Bruce, Simon, Mitchell, Taylor and Hameister-Ries.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

With Foord a healthy back up to Harris, i would like to see Brown with another week off and Iannuzzi and Johnson share KR duties, Johnson could also get some reps at WR as could Foster.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

What's the word on Mitchell? In the pre-game show Saturday MB said he would be a game time decision... yet now he is not even traveling. Is he more hurt than we've been led to believe, or is he in the dog house? It's not like we have a lot of depth on the D line right now.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:What's the word on Mitchell? In the pre-game show Saturday MB said he would be a game time decision... yet now he is not even traveling. Is he more hurt than we've been led to believe, or is he in the dog house? It's not like we have a lot of depth on the D line right now.
In his own words today via Twitter:
Khalif Mitchell ‏@TruthWillFree96
To all my Loved and Blessed I am def. ready but physically I gotta test my body. This week not enough time. My Leos are Stout tho
JohnHenry
Champion

DanoT wrote:With Foord a healthy back up to Harris, i would like to see Brown with another week off and Iannuzzi and Johnson share KR duties, Johnson could also get some reps at WR as could Foster.
I wasn't that impressed with Johnson's quickness as a returner. He's more of a long strider who needs a few steps to get going. Kierrie was also not as effective in the "end around" as E. Jackson, who has the power to slash through attempted tackles. For all of Johnson's speed he didn't get much separation from the DB's and as was noted our offence is not designed for slow-developing long passing plays.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thus far IMO Johnson has shown none of the explosiveness of Chris Williams, a similar, small fast guy.

He hasn't shown great reaction to the ball.

And IMO he hasn't even shown outstanding speed this year. Appearances can be deceiving but he doesn't even look as fast as Iannuzzi or Gore. Football speed can be different than speed for the 40 in a timing.

He hasn't been bad, but not a major weapon. For a guy his size, he has to show some of that, or else the team goes to a bigger guy.

The move by the Lions to activate Ernest Jackson would seem to confirm that the Lions might see some of this the same way.

How many games should KJ get to show some explosion? Judgment call. Could he still show some of that? Dunno ... For me with Johnson, the jury is out, and a promising guy (or two) has been waiting in the wings, Jackson, and also C Taylor.
Blitz
Team Captain

Ernest Jackson has 16 catches for 241 yards for our Leos this season, in limited action. Keirrie Johnson has 14 catches for us for 279 yards. Kierrie began the season as our starter for the first 3 games and has been our starter again for a number of games.

Ernest has rushed the football on reverses 5 times for 60 yards..a 12 yard average. Kierrie Johnson has rushed the football for us on reverse plays 7 times for 23 yards..a 3.3 yard average.

The decison as to whom should be starting at the shortside wide receiver position appears obvious. Jackson is just as fast as Kierrie and can go deep, has very good hands, and he has height 6'3", size (220 pounds) and power as well as speed while Kierrie is 5'9" and 170 pounds and I really doubt that weight.
Statistically, based upon games played, Ernest is also more of a weapon.

If Brown is ever injured again or if our Leos would prefer a different option in certain games I think Keirrie Johnson should be considered for returner/tailback. As a return guy he brings speed and as the rotational tailback who would create real matchup problems in the passing game coming out of the backfield.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Anglophone
All Star

I am very excited about this move!