On any given day....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

There's the saying "On any given day in the CFL, any team can beat any other team." I haven't heard this articulated recently, but I'm struck by how true it still is--just witness today's Winnipeg win over Montreal in Montreal.

We haven't seen a dominant team this year. I suppose it could be argued that our Lions are close to that, but we definitely are not a lock in any game. I hope this changes as it did last year going into the playoffs, but we're sure not at that point yet this year.

The salary cap contributes to this absence of a dominant team, I guess. And I also guess that most fans would prefer it that way (especially in Winnipeg, Edmonton, and Hamilton at the moment :wink: ). Still, I kind of miss seeing a team that can be counted on to just roll over the opposition....
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Bombers just did the Argos a huge favour by beating the Als. Now let's see if they pay it forward by beating the Riders :helmet:
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:Bombers just did the Argos a huge favour by beating the Als. Now let's see if they pay it forward by beating the Riders :helmet:
Not so far. Argos come out looking not ready to play and their special teams were a nightmare between penalties and miscues. Other than the one drive, Jarious looking totally ineffective too.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Bombers just did the Argos a huge favour by beating the Als. Now let's see if they pay it forward by beating the Riders :helmet:
Not so far. Argos come out looking not ready to play and their special teams were a nightmare between penalties and miscues. Other than the one drive, Jarious looking totally ineffective too.
Yep. Sask is putting the Argos to bed and tucking in their Sheets.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
South Pender
Legend

On the other hand, some things never change! Like Jarious Jackson's 52% passing today. That's about equal to his passing percentage as a Lion, IIRC (maybe 53-54%). I well remember him coming in for the Lions on many occasions and really laying an egg. Although JJ has his fans here in BC, I was never one of them. I couldn't believe it when Toronto signed him this year, and wasn't at all surprised with his stinking the place up today in Toronto. If Ricky Ray is out for much longer, TO is dead in the water (which, actually, is fine with me :wink: ).
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

The Riders are in the best position to catch the Lions now. Thanks to the unbalanced schedule, BC effectively has a 5 point lead on Calgary, making our magic number over the Stamps 2. But the Riders are only 4 points back and would own the tie break if they beat us in the regular season finale. As much as it feels like the Lions are comfortably in the driver's seat heading into the last 4 weeks, there is still a realistic chance that the final game will determine first place.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:The Riders are in the best position to catch the Lions now. Thanks to the unbalanced schedule, BC effectively has a 5 point lead on Calgary, making our magic number over the Stamps 2. But the Riders are only 4 points back and would own the tie break if they beat us in the regular season finale. As much as it feels like the Lions are comfortably in the driver's seat heading into the last 4 weeks, there is still a realistic chance that the final game will determine first place.
Yep, whoever wins that game owns the tiebreaker — a win would knot the season series at 2-2 and we'd take it on pt diff which we currently lead 65-55, while a loss would give them a 3-1 edge — although if we win it's unlikely that we would actually need to invoke it.

All things being equal, Ssk has the best chance to catch us, although among Western teams, I'd say Cgy has the easiest remaining schedule. Their remaining opponents all have losing records, aside from us, whom they will host.

10-4 BC: @Ham, vsEdm, @Cgy, vsSsk (total opp record 27-29, 2 .500+ teams)
8-6 Cgy: @Wpg, vsHam, vsBC, @Edm (25-31, 1)
8-6 Ssk: @Edm, vsMtl, vsTor, @BC (31-25, 3)
6-8 Edm: vsSsk, @BC, @Mtl, vsCgy (34-22, 4)
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Riders and Stamps both lose next week. Lions win....6 points up with 3 to go.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
Belize City Lion wrote:The Riders are in the best position to catch the Lions now. Thanks to the unbalanced schedule, BC effectively has a 5 point lead on Calgary, making our magic number over the Stamps 2. But the Riders are only 4 points back and would own the tie break if they beat us in the regular season finale. As much as it feels like the Lions are comfortably in the driver's seat heading into the last 4 weeks, there is still a realistic chance that the final game will determine first place.
Yep, whoever wins that game owns the tiebreaker — a win would knot the season series at 2-2 and we'd take it on pt diff which we currently lead 65-55, while a loss would give them a 3-1 edge — although if we win it's unlikely that we would actually need to invoke it.

All things being equal, Ssk has the best chance to catch us, although among Western teams, I'd say Cgy has the easiest remaining schedule. Their remaining opponents all have losing records, aside from us, whom they will host.

10-4 BC: @Ham, vsEdm, @Cgy, vsSsk (total opp record 27-29, 2 .500+ teams)
8-6 Cgy: @Wpg, vsHam, vsBC, @Edm (25-31, 1)
8-6 Ssk: @Edm, vsMtl, vsTor, @BC (31-25, 3)
6-8 Edm: vsSsk, @BC, @Mtl, vsCgy (34-22, 4)
Riders have won 5 of 6 and have looked very good in their last 3 games. They head to Commonwealth Saturday where they have struggled to win as of late, same with the Lions in Hamilton against the Jeckel & Hyde Ti-Cats.

Think Riders will win both home games against Als and Argos which should make their Nov. 3 visit to BC Place worth 2nd place to them at the very least.
Anglophone
All Star

I think Hamilton sort of surprised us last year to end our winning streak. It would be disappointing to lose again at Ivor Wynne.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:On the other hand, some things never change! Like Jarious Jackson's 52% passing today. That's about equal to his passing percentage as a Lion, IIRC (maybe 53-54%). I well remember him coming in for the Lions on many occasions and really laying an egg. Although JJ has his fans here in BC, I was never one of them. I couldn't believe it when Toronto signed him this year, and wasn't at all surprised with his stinking the place up today in Toronto. If Ricky Ray is out for much longer, TO is dead in the water (which, actually, is fine with me :wink: ).
Jackson can be frustrating to watch. He can be brilliant one game and then overthrows / underthrows receivers the next game
South Pender
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
South Pender wrote:On the other hand, some things never change! Like Jarious Jackson's 52% passing today. That's about equal to his passing percentage as a Lion, IIRC (maybe 53-54%). I well remember him coming in for the Lions on many occasions and really laying an egg. Although JJ has his fans here in BC, I was never one of them. I couldn't believe it when Toronto signed him this year, and wasn't at all surprised with his stinking the place up today in Toronto. If Ricky Ray is out for much longer, TO is dead in the water (which, actually, is fine with me :wink: ).
Jackson can be frustrating to watch. He can be brilliant one game and then overthrows / underthrows receivers the next game
I don't recall ever seeing him brilliant.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
I was been charitable. OK he was OK one game ............. :wink:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

JJ was very good in games when he came in off the bench, the Lions were behind on the score board, and it was just throw deep and have the receiver run under it. Any game that requires short or medium passes with touch or accuracy and things tend to go poorly for Jackson.
JohnHenry
Champion

South Pender wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
Jarious Jackson - 2007 Final 9 Games as Lions starting QB:

Tm - Att - C - % -- Yds - Av - Lg - In - Td
MTL...26 16 61.5% 222 13.9 44 1 1
TOR...29 13 44.8% 264 20.3 55 0 0
SSK....36 17 47.2% 256 15.1 51 1 3
CAL...28 23 82.1% 307 13.3 49 0 3
WPG..33 17 51.5% 241 14.2 41 1 1
EDM...28 15 53.6% 245 16.3 93 1 1
EDM...17 10 58.8% 143 14.3 54 0 2
HAM..17 13 76.5% 206 15.8 36 1 2
CAL...06 05 83.3% 099 19.8 48 0 1

Total over 9 games Jarious went:

125 of 213 (58.6%) for 1983 yds (15.8 yd. avg.) with 5 Int. and 14 Td.

Perhaps not brilliant but pretty darn good, and look at his longest completion in each game...that's pretty impressive and consistent. I believe Jarious went 9 and 2 as the starter in 2007 leading the Lions to a 14-3-1 record. He had another game in Wpg where he threw 5 TD's passes and was brilliant on that day. Not so much on Monday vs Sask. While he's perceived as a great backup QB coming off the bench, he plays better the more he plays. He might have been a good starter if some team had wanted to let him develop...but most teams need to win now to save the coach's derriere.

:ref: