Bombers No Help

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

agent2
All Star

I find it amazing that a coach is willing to possibly risk his job and make a bonehead call by choosing to punt from 43 yards. If he goes for the FG, misses and loses the game... no head rolling. Instead he decides to take responsibility, play ultra conservative by not letting his 86% kicker take a shot at the FG (with the wind), strange.
squishy35
Legend

Bizzarre call by Burke. I could not understand his decision to punt. Then he accepts responsibility for the mistake on TSN post game interview but blames his defence for not holding the two point lead in the final 26 seconds. Hats off to Drew Willy for a very composed final drive. Given the rabid Rider fans, this could be the beginning of the end for Durant in Regina.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

If anyone thought that the mid year decision to fire Lapo and hire Burke was correct at the time would have to be on crack to not be second guessing that now.

Burke on TSN tossed most his team and punter under the bus, he is not ready to ba a HC.

He publicly talked about maybe sitting guys for penalties right after expressing disgust on a sack they had but negated with a bad hit.

A FG of 42 yards into the wind would have sealed the deal very likely. At least made them have to score a TD. Instead he trashes his kicker for not being able to punt it and go out of bounds inside the ten. Has this guy ever watched a full game before? Brutal.

Burkes D went flat on him on the last drive and let the Riders walk the field to within FG range where their FG kicker had the same distance into the wind and won.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

restores your faith in humanity.
Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:If anyone thought that the mid year decision to fire Lapo and hire Burke would have to be on crack to not be second guessing that now.

Burke on TSN tossed most his team and punter under the bus, he is not ready to ba a HC.

He publicly talked about maybe sitting guys for penalties right after expressing disgust on a sack they had but negated with a bad hit.

A FG of 42 yards into the wind would have sealed the deal very likely. At least made them have to score a TD. Instead he trashes his kicker for not being able to punt it and go out of bounds inside the ten. Has this guy ever watched a full game before? Brutal.

Burkes D went flat on him on the last drive and let the Riders walk the field to within FG range where their FG kicker had the same distance into the wind and won.
Some coaches play to win and we found out that along with a few other issues Burke isn't the guy to play to win. That frustrates the fanbase more than anything else, let alone when it blows up in your face. Tossing his team under the bus, along with their senseless penalties is going to have a great divide in the locker room. It will be interesting to hear Mack's smack talk with the media this week.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I can only imagine what the post game would be like
cromartie
Hall of Famer

On the plus side, this puts the Riders in a great position for the crossover.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Not a flattering photo. You could use this one to come up with some funny captions other than this one in the Wpg Sun:

"Winnipeg Blue Bombers head coach Tim Burke (right) and GM Joe Mack watch a walk-through on Sat., Sept. 8, 2012, at Canad Inns Stadium in preparation for Sunday's Banjo Bowl football game against the Saskatchewan Roughriders." JASON HALSTEAD/Winnipeg Sun

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/09/08/b ... rs-players
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I can only imagine what the post game would be like
In that respect, I thought Benevides' post game chat with his players was terrific. Brief, to the point, and very focused. Enjoy it for 24 hours, then we get ready for our next game. Proud of you. Keep your edge next week, but not too much edge. Along those lines. I can see that the players really respond to him, and love playing for him.
D
Team Captain

nuff said
!cid_image001_jpg@01CD8AC0.jpg
:tease:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I own The Grey Cup! .com
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

D wrote:nuff said
!cid_image001_jpg@01CD8AC0.jpg
:tease:

:wink: :wink:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:Not a flattering photo. You could use this one to come up with some funny captions other than this one in the Wpg Sun:

"Winnipeg Blue Bombers head coach Tim Burke (right) and GM Joe Mack watch a walk-through on Sat., Sept. 8, 2012, at Canad Inns Stadium in preparation for Sunday's Banjo Bowl football game against the Saskatchewan Roughriders." JASON HALSTEAD/Winnipeg Sun

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/09/08/b ... rs-players
How apropropriate. Team and management going in opposite directions
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:If anyone thought that the mid year decision to fire Lapo and hire Burke was correct at the time would have to be on crack to not be second guessing that now.

The FG attempt would've been with the wind Toppy not into it which makes the decision even more bizarre. By not attempting it the first guy he tossed under the bus was Palardy. What does that say about your confidence in your kicker that you don't want to try a 42 yd FG with a tailwind at an important point in the game> In listening to his comments I don't think he was trashing the kicker for not being able to put it out of bounds as much as he was ticked that the punt didn't even make it to the general vicinity of the sidelines. I don't think it even got outside the hashmarks.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I don't recall when a team ( Bombers ) has taken so many unnecessary RP penalties during the course of the season. There were 3 once again this game that totally fell into the brainless category.

I'm actually surprised that Mainor wasn't ejected for his RP on Willy. That play was so far from over and under control that his actions were beyond any football requirement. He'll probably get a fine. His excuse was he didn't hear the whistle. Everybody in the country knew the play was dead.

Ditto on Green's double penalty on the no yards and additional RP penalty. Lucky the returner wasn't hurt because that's exactly how an injury could happen.

Burke certainly made a gaff not going for the FG. However this is about the 3rd game where the Bombers had a chance to win or go to OT but the defense folded in the last minute of play allowing the opponent to score easily.

Unbelievable. The Bomber season is over. 3 games behind preventing a western team from crossing over to at least have an opportunity of finishing 3rd.

WOW
Last edited by Blue In BC on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Blue In BC wrote:I don't recall when a team has taken so many unnecessary RP penalties during the course of the teams. There were 3 once again this game that totally fell into the brainless category.
I don't know Dale. The Bombers under Dave Ritchie were pretty good at that. Actually any team coached by Dave Ritchie tended to be at or near the top of the CFL in undisciplined penalties.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.