Alouettes 30 - Lions 25 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
korey&dante4ever wrote:.....Dean Valli put out the worst individual performance out of any O-lineman, on any team, in any league, in any one game i have ever seen in my entire life

While that might be overstating things just a little, I think we could have gotten more out of Frankie Valli last night.

Dean was Rag Dolled.

DH :cool:
He needs to walk like a man, my son.
footballjunkie
prospect

korey&dante4ever wrote:Two thoughts:

1) Dean Valli put out the worst individual performance out of any O-lineman, on any team, in any league, in any one game i have ever seen in my entire life
2) We got beat on both sides of the ball at the line of scrimmage

That's the game
100% accurate. I also have never witnessed a worse individual performance from an O-Lineman......and I don't even know how many thousands of games I have watched.
Rammer
Team Captain

footballjunkie wrote:

1) Dean Valli put out the worst individual performance out of any O-lineman, on any team, in any league, in any one game i have ever seen in my entire life

That's the game
100% accurate. I also have never witnessed a worse individual performance from an O-Lineman......and I don't even know how many thousands of games I have watched.
And yet with all of that the Lions came away with three chances on makable plays to win the game, well makable distance, not a very good play selection on those plays.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Big Time
Champion

The game was completely lost by the O-line. I would single out Valli but truthfully, there wasn't one good player on the o-line the entire game. Lulay spent the entire game pressured, hurried, hit, or running for his life. When the game mattered the most, the o-line completely crumbled.

Btw, I hope that Mike Benevides was paying attention to how Montreal played the last two minutes. Blitz after blitz after blitz. It was so refreshing to see a team actually play to win instead of throwing out the usual "prevent" defense that doesn't prevent anything. I would love to see the Lions play like that when defending a lead.
footballjunkie
prospect

Rammer wrote:
footballjunkie wrote:

That's the game
And yet with all of that the Lions came away with three chances on makable plays to win the game, well makable distance, not a very good play selection on those plays.
Shows how good they actually are to almost overcome it.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:The game was completely lost by the O-line. I would single out Valli but truthfully, there wasn't one good player on the o-line the entire game. Lulay spent the entire game pressured, hurried, hit, or running for his life. When the game mattered the most, the o-line completely crumbled.

Btw, I hope that Mike Benevides was paying attention to how Montreal played the last two minutes. Blitz after blitz after blitz. It was so refreshing to see a team actually play to win instead of throwing out the usual "prevent" defense that doesn't prevent anything. I would love to see the Lions play like that when defending a lead.
X2
274always
All Star

There's a great poll on the alouettes website forum I encourage all to participate in. It's about how the als are going to lose at bc place. Yeah we're That confident. :violin:
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
David
Team Captain

Forgot to mention this, but does anyone else get the impression that Sean Whyte isn't the most popular ex-Leo among his former teammates? I could be wrong, but there seemed to be several instances last game of players going out of their way to yap in his ear, and there seemed to be a bit of a confrontation with he and Yurichuk after the contacting the kicker penalty.

There was also an article in the 8/28 edition of the Vancouver Sun in which McCallum took offense to comments previously attributed to Whyte:
“...I never changed my training because of Sean Whyte,” McCallum said. “I think that came from Sean’s mouth -- as if he made me who I am. Truth is, I really started training harder when I came here [2006]. I’ve always had a strong enough leg to kick over 50 yards. The only thing limiting me is coach’s philosophy. When it’s needed, I can still hit from 50.”

ARTICLE HERE

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:Forgot to mention this, but does anyone else get the impression that Sean Whyte isn't the most popular ex-Leo among his former teammates? I could be wrong, but there seemed to be several instances last game of players going out of their way to yap in his ear, and there seemed to be a bit of a confrontation with he and Yurichuk after the contacting the kicker penalty.

There was also an article in the 8/28 edition of the Vancouver Sun in which McCallum took offense to comments previously attributed to Whyte:
“...I never changed my training because of Sean Whyte,” McCallum said. “I think that came from Sean’s mouth -- as if he made me who I am. Truth is, I really started training harder when I came here [2006]. I’ve always had a strong enough leg to kick over 50 yards. The only thing limiting me is coach’s philosophy. When it’s needed, I can still hit from 50.”

ARTICLE HERE

At a couple of practices Whyte didn't seem to have the warm personality from my observations, to the point of being rather succinct in questions about getting playing time by a few regulars. I could see him not being much of a team guy, and yes Yurichuck and Whyte certainly seemed to have a good exchange that was limited by time between plays.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

IIRC, Dante was getting in his cage as well. Not sure if this was to try and get Whyte off his game or not (he missed one field goal), but I thought it was a little out of character for Dante. Kory? Defintely, but I don't see Dante initiate trash talk with a kicker very often. There may be something more to this.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I would not read too much into that. In fact I think there is actually more trash talking between old friends in football than others they don't care about. There have been quite a few stories about they trash talk each other (friends) all week pre-game.

Sean was in a tough spot in BC as a young back up. Paul too also had a bit of a a challenge when he knows age is not on his side. No kicker warmly embraces a competitor. In fact the questions that the media ask about the old vet helping a younger person like a protege have to be handled carefully and if you know players well they don't like that and they take the high road vs. what they really think - especially kickers.

No doubt Sean (like even some fans) felt he was ready to be the Lions kicker of the future. That whole thing actually played out fairly well in BC.

The team needs a back up who can play - yet they must have the starter not missing due to unneeded pressure.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:I would not read too much into that. In fact I think there is actually more trash talking between old friends in football than others they don't care about. There have been quite a few stories about they trash talk each other (friends) all week pre-game.

Sean was in a tough spot in BC as a young back up. Paul too also had a bit of a a challenge when he knows age is not on his side. No kicker warmly embraces a competitor. In fact the questions that the media ask about the old vet helping a younger person like a protege have to be handled carefully and if you know players well they don't like that and they take the high road vs. what they really think - especially kickers.

No doubt Sean (like even some fans) felt he was ready to be the Lions kicker of the future. That whole thing actually played out fairly well in BC.

The team needs a back up who can play - yet they must have the starter not missing due to unneeded pressure.
My inclination is to not read too much into either.

Sean was certainly friendly with the fans. And like all/most kickers does not interact all that much with the guys who hit and get hit. One NFL lineman used to call them golfers. Probably Alex Karras.

And I think there was probably tension between Paul Mc and Whyte, since they coveted the same job, and Paul has held on and on.

I also think the hitters (non kickers) are very loyal to Paul after all these years and two Cups.

But there did seem to be a bit of an edge to Paul's comment about Sean. I don't recall ever seeing them work closely together.