Solomon Elimimian

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:From LU's story in January:
the free agent list includes a pair of two-time league all-stars, tackle Aaron Hunt and kicker Paul McCallum. It also contains four defensive starters, not counting linebacker Solomon Elimimian, still currently making the rounds testing his NFL fortunes before his CFL rights revert back to the Lions next month.
So if he is released he remains BC property for the balance of this season on the option year of his original deal. That's going to be peanuts and might as well have him on the active roster trying to win another championship. And with Stubler's innovative schemes maybe there is a way to have Solo, Bighill and Mackenize on the field causing havoc. That would leave the off-season to decide which way Wally wants to go with Elimimian. I think Olafioye is still on his rookie deal too and is due for a massive raise next season if his NFL ambitions are indeed over.
I thought that all those option window contracts had run their course. However, generally players that come back are re-signed to more lucrative contracts regardless of their option year contract size. This is mainly done with the idea to keep that player from attaining FA status of course. Now the Lions don't have to do that with SolE, they just have to offer him up his option contract which he may or may not be interested in. Highly unlikely to re-sign both Elimimian and Olafioye in the off season, especially with the emergence of Bighill at a better SMS hit.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

If I recall the new CBA was ratified during the 2010 TC and Elimimian signed in late May 2010. Most likely he signed to a 2+1 meaning 2012 would be his option year. If that was the case and his contract fell under the old CBA he'd be eligible to try the NFL this year under the option year clause. If the new CBA prevailed he wouldn't have been eligible to try until he became a FA next fseason. Either way the Lions would own his CFL rights for this season.
Rammer
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:If I recall the new CBA was ratified during the 2010 TC and Elimimian signed in late May 2010. Most likely he signed to a 2+1 meaning 2012 would be his option year. If that was the case and his contract fell under the old CBA he'd be eligible to try the NFL this year under the option year clause. If the new CBA prevailed he wouldn't have been eligible to try until he became a FA next fseason. Either way the Lions would own his CFL rights for this season.
Pretty good scouting on the Lions part to sign Elimimian to that length of contract, they seem to have had a few 2 + 1's that have worked out.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:There is also the natural let-down a CFL player feels when returning from a failed-NFL tryout. Many never recover the hustle and desire which made them successful in the CFL.
Sincerely,

Paul Lacoste
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
The_Pauser
Legend

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Viki ... mian082512

Minnesota Vikings have waived Solomon Elimimian.
Roar you Lions roar!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

So, what's his next move? Will he look for work elsewhere in the NFL or return to the CFL (as Lions property or a free agent?)?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Zarquon
Champion

He is a Free Agent. My guess is that he looks around the NFL first. Personally I didn't think he would be back in the CFL. If he doesn't land in the NFL I hope he ends up pack here and we figure a way to get him into the offence.
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

He'll probably try to catch on with another NFL team before returning to the CFL
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Zarquon wrote: If he doesn't land in the NFL I hope he ends up pack here and we figure a way to get him into the offence.
Now we know why the offence has been inconsistent. We're missing Eliminian :wink: :wink:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Zarquon wrote: If he doesn't land in the NFL I hope he ends up pack here and we figure a way to get him into the offence.
Now we know why the offence has been inconsistent. We're missing Eliminian :wink: :wink:
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I don't agree at all...if the Lions reached out to Sol right now, with a new deal, I believe he would sign right away...but Wally all offseason seemed distant from Sol, which surprised me, because even after the Vikes had offered Sol a deal, he first came back to the Lions for a long term deal and Wally balked.

IMO you cannot allow Sol to go to another CFL...I don't care what that means for our D right now, for Biggie or for McKenzie...Sol is the best MLB the CFL has seen in the last decade, and you can't pass that up. You just can't...Biggie is absolutely perfectly suited for OLB, so you go from there...but I don't know...Wally was indifferent about Eliminian all off season.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Vikings cut 15
http://blog.vikings.com/2012/0...n-roster-limit/

No surprises here... although I thought they might keep one of the WRs until next round of cuts.

G Bridger Buche
RB Derrick Coleman
G Grant Cook
LB Solomon Elimimian
DB Corey Gatewood
OT Levi Horn
DT Anthony Jacobs
WR Kamar Jorden
WR AJ Love
LB Tyler Nielsen
DE Ernest Owusu
DT Tydreke Powell
DB Chris Stroud
WR Kerry Taylor
WR Bryan Walters

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Wally, for your love of God, SIGN ELIMINIAN...

He simply can't be allowed to go another CFL...yes, he will likely be added to someone's NFL practise roster, but if the Lions approached him with a long term deal, he would sign...

Eliminian is like Doug and Darren Flutie...he was born and bred for the CFL...left to play the rest of his career in Canada, and Eliminian will become one of the top 50 players all time...you don't let that kind of talent walk to the Eskies, or Argos, etc...not now, not ever!

GET IT DONE WALLY!!!

Albert Einstein
JohnHenry
Champion

Sol had an MRI done on his hamstring last week. It came back "negative" but in the NFL they don't take any chances...which may have contributed to his release. His agent said he was "beat up from camp".
Last edited by JohnHenry on Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.