Lions 18 - Argos 9 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lions 18 - Argos 9 Post Game Stats and Comments
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
T. LULAY 18/27 205 1 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
E. JACKSON 4 87 0 50
S. GORE 4 31 0 12
A. BRUCE 3 39 0 24
A. FOSTER 3 18 1 9
G. SIMON 2 26 0 20
A. HARRIS 2 4 0 3

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
A. HARRIS 13 60 0 32
T. LULAY 4 32 0 18
M. REILLY 2 3 1 2
E. JACKSON 1 1 0 1

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
L. SHELL 0 0 1 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
P. MCCALLUM 1/1 24 2/2 5

Punting NO AVG NET LG
P. MCCALLUM 10 41.8 333 55

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. BROWN 4 21 5.3 8 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
P. MCCALLUM 4 241 62 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. BROWN 2 41 20.5 25 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
A. BIGHILL 7 1 1 0
J. YURICHUK 5 0 1 0
K. BANKS 4 0 0 0
L. SHELL 4 0 0 0
K. SMITH 3 0 0 0
R. PHILLIPS 3 0 0 0
B. PARKER 3 0 0 0
J. WESTERMAN 2 1 0 1
E. TAYLOR 2 1 0 0
A. LAROSE 2 0 0 0
C. MUAMBA 2 0 0 0
K. WILLIAMS 2 0 0 0
A. REDDICK 1 1 0 0
J. ARAKGI 1 0 0 0
K. MITCHELL 1 0 0 0
D. MARSH 0 0 1 0
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
R. RAY 25/34 215 0 3

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
C. OWENS 7 73 0 25
A. DURIE 6 66 0 22
C. BOYD 6 25 0 9
D. INMAN 4 33 0 11
C. WILLIAMS 1 10 0 10
S. WATT 1 8 0 8

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
C. BOYD 8 23 0 8
J. JACKSON 3 7 0 3
A. DURIE 2 6 0 4
R. RAY 1 1 0 1

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
R. RAY 1 1 0 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
S. WATERS 3/3 35 0/0 9

Punting NO AVG NET LG
S. WATERS 7 42.4 276 53

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
C. OWENS 3 58 19.3 32 0
M. BLACK 2 27 13.5 27 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
S. WATERS 2 132 73 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
C. OWENS 3 38 12.7 16 0
C. WILLIAMS 1 27 27.0 27 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
R. MCCUNE 6 0 0 0
J. CARTER 6 0 0 0
P. WATKINS 4 0 0 0
M. BALL 3 0 0 0
B. ISAAC 3 0 0 0
A. ARMSTEAD 3 0 0 0
R. FOLEY 3 0 0 0
E. KUALE 2 0 0 0
K. HUNTLEY 1 1 0 0
C. OWENS 1 0 0 0
A. DURIE 1 0 0 0
R. FLEMONS 1 0 0 0
D. SUMMERS 1 0 0 0
E. MCCOLLOUGH 1 0 0 0
A. CARROLL 1 0 0 0
E. BOULAY 1 0 0 0
T. HARRIS 1 0 0 0
J. KEEPING 1 0
lion24
Legend

Big game for the defence and a big catch by Gore to get the first down as he was getting mashed all day. Westerman looks like a formidable replacement for Mitchell's suspension. The reffing was Olympic soccer calibre, what a joke
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Heavyweight slugfest.

Should have been roughing on the tackle on Harris IMO. They would have called Mitchell on it.

Chris Jones :thup:

Rich Stubler :thup:

OCs not so much this game

ST coverage not so much

Andrew Harris :thup:

Travis Lulay :thup:

Lions D :thup:

Argos D :thup:

Crossing patterns :thdn:

Westerman :thup:

Shell :thup:

Taylor :thup:

Williams :thup:

Smith :thup:

Reddick :thup:

Marsh :thup:

Gore :thup:

Jackson :thup:

O Line :thup:
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hardly a good advertisement for the CFL with a horribly officiated game played in front of a sparse crowd. Just had no flow with all the flags. Bottom line is another terrific effort by the Lions defence is enough to hand Argos their first home loss of the season and guarantee at least a share of 1st place when the Riders visit Aug. 19.

My TSN turning point was the long pass play to Jackson. The first and only time Lulay threw the ball more than 20 yards to a receiver.

Most encouraging sign: Two big plays from Westerman. :thup: Now we are finding out why Kelly Bates was going nuts at the draft table.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Tough game

Sacks, turnovers, a big key for us.

Not a fun game to watch, but a helluva win.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

It's a great BC Day
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Is unmmm Ernest Jackson a keeperf? LOL

For a while ... could be Manny Arceneaux II
David
Team Captain

Hey, a win is a win. Salvador Dali paintings can be considered ugly, but they're still worth $1 million.

* This defense is rounding into form and right now is as good as - if not better - than last year's.
* Adam Bighill (aka "Big Hit") is really emerging as a dominant force. Has great hands to go along with great closing speed.
* Looks like we found our wideout in Ernest Jackson. :thup:
* Was looking for more screen passes to Harris in the flat as he was open. Lulay seemed to only be looking downfield.
* McCallum's punting has become an adventure. A lot of times he's kicking 30 yarders that are rolling another 15-20 yards.
* I would love an explanation from Tom Higgins of Keron Williams' "offside" that negated Parkers pick for a TD. That play would have broken the game wide open. Ball of the Argos also got screwed but it was a lot closer to offside than Williams.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
notahomer
Hall of Famer

This is a purrfect game to show how stats can be misleading, IMO. Guess it really is how you look at it. Both teams got lots of penalties for big yards but I think both teams got burned, IMO, by two phantom offsides penalties (one to each team). One on Keron W. wiped away a long INT return for a TD. The other, gave the Lions a fresh set of downs. Technically, perhaps that Argo was offside but then call holding on O-linemen more often then if 'by the rulebook' is what matters.

Harris did what he had to do but stat-wise it was a rough day until late in the game. Lulay's passing yardage helped out a lot by the long pass to E. Jackson. Our offense helped along by 4 turnovers. A win is a win but I've seen better. I guess I really shouldn't complain. This is EXACTLY the type of BC defense I have wanted to see for quite awhile. Certainly had guys like Chad Owens off his game. All I mean is he was doing the muscle-flexing and beaking off. Owens had some good plays but this is exactly why a guy like Jason Clermont was such a favourite player of mine. Clermont would leave his opponents black/blue for hitting him. He almost seemed to like it when guys tried to knock him out. And the celebrating and beaking off, didn't seem to be Clermont's way. I think Owens is already a good, good player and if he can mature that little bit more, I think he'll really become scary.

I'm looking forward to the rematch of this game. Early lead may have caused some struggles for the Lions. I missed the first quarter due to work so it was cool to come home to a 10-0 lead. That Roughrider game on the 19th seems like months away but I'm sure it will be here quick. I hope the Riders have a smashmouth game next week. Guess it will be a dandy regardless. Wonder if BC Place will be enforcing the "no watermelon heads" policy the had for the last Rider game @ Tempire. To be honest, I hope not. The only excuse I want other teams CFL fans to not come through the gates is the Lions reputation of dominating football and they are not there yet, IMO.
swervynmerv
Legend

A win is a win, no matter if by 30 or by one so we will take it.

I agree with Sammy Greene, the crowd in Toronto continues to be an embrassment. I'm one of those that belives the CFL would survive without Toronto and be better off with a team in Quebec City or the Maritimes but I undestand from the "business and tv" perspective why the CFL wants them.

Some thoughts for the next 6 game segment:

1. Defence is playing great. I may be wrong as I was on holidays last week, but is that not two straight gme without surrending and Offensive touchdown?
They just need to continue with what they are doing.

2. Offence still isn't firing on all cylinders and needs to get going. Our percentage in the red zone is middle to bottom of the league.

3. Special teams are the Lions weakest link. I love MCallum but he is really struggling this year, especially in his punting. Sometimes in football, you lose it quick when you are a high milege forty year old plus, it happens faster! Is this the time to ease him out of the picture or do we wait for the off-season?

Tim Brown for me does nothng. We just seem to get nothing on our kick returns. He isn't elusive or overly fast. In the West, the other returners are Jackson(SK), Taylor(CGY) and Burnett( EDM). Brown doesn't match up and we need to look for someone that can break one for a TD or give us consistant positive field position on kicks. Maybe an NFL cut is coming?
David
Team Captain

swervynmerv wrote:A win is a win, no matter if by 30 or by one so we will take it. I agree with Sammy Greene, the crowd in Toronto continues to be an embrassment. I'm one of those that belives the CFL would survive without Toronto and be better off with a team in Quebec City or the Maritimes but I undestand from the "business and tv" perspective why the CFL wants them.

Not great, but unless they're fudging the numbers, it's the same crowd size that Montreal is getting. The Argos suffer the same problem as BC. Anything less than about 32,000 looks sparse in a giant stadium.

I agree with you about Tim Brown BTW.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Defence is playing great. I may be wrong as I was on holidays last week, but is that not two straight gme without surrending and Offensive touchdown?

That's correct, 2 games in a row that the defence has not given up a touchdown

Special teams are the Lions weakest link. I love MCallum but he is really struggling this year, especially in his punting.

Especially event when the Lions are pinned deep in their end

Tim Brown for me does nothng. We just seem to get nothing on our kick returns. He isn't elusive or overly fast.

X2
MikeAK
All Star

Tough game to watch today. I thought the officiating was some of the worst I've seen in a long time in the CFL. Seeing today's game sure makes you realize just how far the officiating has come in the CFL over the past few seasons. A win is a win and that's all that matters.