Proposed rule changes 2012

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

notahomer
Hall of Famer

I read about some other 'shelved' ideas (Fridays Province?) including 25 yard pass interference calls and being able to review pass interference calls.

I totally support the player safety issues arising from the popping off of helmets. By all means blow the play dead but now that I have said that, I'm sure a big play and/or game will end up having some impact due to this new rule....

The scoring replay rule? I'm not so sold. It is certainly a rule that is more in the defenses favour, IMO. If a TD is ruled, it gets reviewed and needs evidence to overturn. Fine, that makes sense. Even if the defensive team has used all its coaches challenges; the scoring play gets reviewed. So, why if an offensive team makes a play that looks like a score would that not also get reviewed? If the team is out of challenges, too bad. If they do have a challenge it gets used up reversing a missed call on the field (like all other replay challenges).

I think I'd like to see the CFL stay with the current system. If a team disagrees with a ruling on the field, use your challenge. If you have used all your challenges, too bad. I'm also reluctant to start replay use for things like Pass interference.... These seem like good ideas but when you see their actual implementation (the change in blocking on special teams from a few seasons ago) and how it impacts the game, good ideas turn out not to be so. Guess we'll see how it goes.....
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I like the changes. The helmet rule in particular will hopefully motivate manufacturers, chinstrap suppliers, equipment managers and players to do a better job of keeping helmets buckled up so they don't pop off during plays. Having plays blown dead and players deemed ineligible to partipate if their helmets come off are big prices to pay.
BCfanInDIXIE
Starter

the touchdown review is something the league is taking from the NFL. that began this past season down here.
Founder of the Bama BC Fan Club :towel:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

BCfanInDIXIE wrote:the touchdown review is something the league is taking from the NFL. that began this past season down here.

EXACTLY. I've seen some of the quirks that happen because I saw this rule in effect in the NFL. Team outta challenges? Thats okay, scoring plays are reviewed. There were a few instances where the rule may have or did have an impact on plays and I think it should be upto the Coaches to challenge. If this sticks, I hope there are no added replays for other reasons (like pass interference for e.g.).

I think the idea is to get the big calls right but thats a slippery slope, IMO because where does it end??? Big calls were blown in the NFL this past season. They always will be blown because officials (liike the players/coaches) are human. I think the coaches challenge provides each team with chances to overturn missed calls. And the officials get it right more often than not, IMO
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

This is not in the rule story but this changes things for teams. The BC Lions who let players go to the NFL when they didn't need to might be less willing with this rule. Not sure why they did this. I'm not sure it is actually a good thing for players who want out early. It is fine for the return.

"Next year, players heading south who are unsuccessful landing an NFL job come back as free agents, presumably months into the CFL calendar, which could create an entirely different bidding culture. Get set for this debate to go on for awhile.
http://www.cflblogzone.com/2012/03/upro ... eams-cold/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not particularly enamoured that all scoring plays are reviewed. I would like to see some guidelines that certain plays are subject to review, otherwise the game will drag on and on with all the reviews.
sasklionsfan
Rookie

It should just be for touchdowns, it works for the nfl, and it didn't really slow the game down that much this year. Especially with the central review it would work perfectly.
Mikemike
All Star

One rule I'd sure like to see is to make it a penelty for receivers or QB's to make over the top protests to the officials when they feel they've been interfered with.

I don't particularly like the NFL, but I must say I really respect the dicipline and professionalism of the NFL players and the respect they show on the field for the officials. Even during the superbowl in critical situations I noticed that when there were questionable calls or questionable non-calls the players didn't show the slightest outward protest. If that had been a similar situation in the CFL the players would be getting up making a flag throwing motion with their hands and getting in the faces of the officials demanding explainations on the spot and whatnot.

I think it is a big problem in the CFL. So much so that every team (including the lions) are habitual offenders; even so I'd say Calgary receivers, QB's, and bench are far and away the worst when it comes to disrespecting the on field officials over calls and non calls.
BCfanInDIXIE
Starter

TheLionKing wrote:Not particularly enamoured that all scoring plays are reviewed. I would like to see some guidelines that certain plays are subject to review, otherwise the game will drag on and on with all the reviews.
Ya know I was worried this would happen when the NFL instituted the same rule, but it didn't. Most TD's and practically every FG are pretty cut and dry anyways.
Founder of the Bama BC Fan Club :towel:
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:This is not in the rule story but this changes things for teams. The BC Lions who let players go to the NFL when they didn't need to might be less willing with this rule. Not sure why they did this. I'm not sure it is actually a good thing for players who want out early. It is fine for the return.

"Next year, players heading south who are unsuccessful landing an NFL job come back as free agents, presumably months into the CFL calendar, which could create an entirely different bidding culture. Get set for this debate to go on for awhile.
http://www.cflblogzone.com/2012/03/upro ... eams-cold/
That's because the option year window is closed, so anyone who goes to the NFL would already be a CFL free agent first.