Reynolds Released

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

http://www.stampeders.com/news_blogs/news/?id=4735
Calgary Stampeders head coach and general manager John Hufnagel on Monday announced the release of running back Joffrey Reynolds.

“Despite our attempts to find Joffrey a new home, we were unable to complete a transaction,” said Hufnagel. “By releasing him now rather than waiting until later in the off-season, we wanted to make sure Joffrey had the best opportunity to sign with another team. We thank Joffrey for his years of excellent service to the Stampeders and wish him all the best.”

Reynolds, 32, played eight seasons with the Stampeders and became the franchise’s all-time leading rusher during the 2010 season. In 2011, he dressed for the first 11 games before West Division all-star Jon Cornish took over as the starting running back. Reynolds played two more games later in the season and finished the year with 477 rushing yards and three touchdowns.

For his career, Reynolds has 9,213 rushing yards and 53 touchdowns to go along with 226 catches for 2,036 yards and eight scores. He was a member of Calgary’s Grey Cup team in 2008.
It was a very good run with Reynolds, but IMO the Stamps held on to him about two seasons too long. Great player in his prime, but it is Cornish time now.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hall of Fame player. Lots of mileage now. Very, very tough runner in his prime.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I don't think that Cornish is an every down, 18 game schedule RB...I appreciate that the Stamps could not hold onto to both of these contracts at the same position, but Hufnagel is going to need to find a good back up, or bruiser to compliment Cornish, who is obviously a very talented back.

As a Lions fan, I am very happy to see Reynolds go...he was a great RB...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Interesting about the NI running backs now in the CFL.

And many of us want to see what Jamal Lee can do. Please ...
notahomer
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote: ...
As a Lions fan, I am very happy to see Reynolds go...he was a great RB...
X2

Maybe its my imagination but there seems to be more than the usual amount of turnover (especially in the Western Division). This was not something I found surprising but certainly not a comment on Reynolds. Wonder how much longer Lewis will be a Stamp? Sure he's got a few more years of CFL in him but is it in Calgary? Certainly can't accuse Hufnagel of standing pat...
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I kind of thought it was the Dickenson offense that sent him downhill.

I just don't think a guy of his calibre becomes a bad football player overnight. It just doesn't happen but if you are not in the mix or the play calling for you is not great no one will be brilliant. Burris and Reynolds both sub-performed with their new OC but I have no clue as to why.

It was a no brainer that the Stamps couldn't get a trade down and had to release him. If he does re-surface I suspect we will see a rejuvenated Reynolds doing well. Not sure who needs him though.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Now that he's a free agent I wonder if any team is interested
Mikemike
All Star

Toppy Vann wrote:I kind of thought it was the Dickenson offense that send him downhill.
You may indeed be correct Toppy, but it's all the more weird because Reynolds was at his very best 2009 when DD was the Stamps running back coach. It was widely held that Dickenson's coaching was a big factor in Reynolds rising up and taking the league rushing title in 2009. So it would be unfathomable that DD wouldn't know Joffrey's potential value as an offensive weapon.
David
Team Captain

While I'll stop short of saying, "stick a fork in him," I do think he's done; at least the dominant Joffrey Reynolds that we all knew (and feared).

If anyone wants to make the bet that he'll be a 1,000 yard rusher again in the CFL, you're on. He looked like he'd hit that dreaded wall last year....now he's going to be a 32 year old going into camp with a lot of mileage on the odometer. I recall everyone screaming blue bloody murder when we traded Joe Smith to Winnipeg for Charles Roberts, but in reality, neither back showed anything like they formerly displayed in the backfield. Smith was out of the league within a year, 2 months shy of his 30th birthday.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

No chance Winnipeg wants Reynolds. In fact many fans are thinking we may need to release or trade Fred Reid. Again, this becomes an issue of a player getting older, a serious injury , SMS consideration, ratio and Garrett having had a chance to play showing his talent.

IMHO, Reid still has a bigger chance to play in the CFL in 2012 than Reynolds. Whether or not it's still in Winnipeg is a bigger question.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wes Cates is also released in Regina. So it's possible that there might be a spot for either Reynolds or Reid to go there. Would Regina be willing to trade for Reid for a draft pick and or for a multiple player deal to get a higher draft pick.

Winnipeg has some excess depth on defense that the Riders might be willing to trade for. Since these are all import guys, not much value in trade, but something might be worked out.

Anyway. I suspect Reynolds is done unless he takes a big cut and / or is willing to wait out his turn on a 46 man roster. The same could be said for Reid since neither guy adds anything on ST duty, so it's tought to DI a guy that isn't versatile.

In the end, RB's are a dime a dozen.
Anglophone
All Star

I sort of don't think he's going to be a starting RB again, now. It's much easier for a team to invest in a younger player with quick legs who has the potential to develop into a star than pay the price tag for an older player who has had his numbers begin to decline.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

A class act no matter how you spin it. Wonder if he might have a role as a kick returner. He has hands, can still run IMO and has the size to be punishing.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.