What is wrong with this photo?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

While I admire Dennis Skulsky's passion and enthusiasm for our BC Lions, I'm not sure the team President & CEO should be front and center holding the Grey Cup in a team photo celebration. While I can defend the "Fanboy" label of him pacing the sidelines on road games by putting it down to a new leader needing a birdseye view in order to get a better pulse on the team, this is a bit over-the-top IMHO.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I thought Skulsky was totally out of place. Wally and the coaches aren't there, nor are Bill Reichelt, Kato and others who had significant roles in the football operations. And why does Skulsky dress as a coach on game day and hang out with the team on the sidelines rather than schmooze with corporate sponsors and fans? That is supposed to be his side of the operation.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

If it was Bob Ackles instead of Skulsky, I doubt it would even cross anyone's mind to ask about this.

Who are the guys on the right - a dark-eyed guy in a black shirt and a red-bearded guy in glasses and a ballcap?
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I here what you are saying David, but I think in this case it fits...maybe not front and centre...but if you remember, this season turned around the moment Dennis got majorly involved...first, he leaked to the press that after the Winnipeg fiasco that things could not continue this way and that changes were not out of the question...he also began being a fixture on the sideline, often very close to Buono...and I truly feel that this ACCOUNTABILITY is what forced Buono and the coaches to finally communicate their message to players and slowly turn things around...

If you remember the game in Edmonton where we won 36-1, there was an usual feeling to that game, and the week preceding it...I am pretty certain, that had we lost, changes in some form would of happened. So I feel somewhat indebted to Dennis for doing what he needed to do...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:If you remember the game in Edmonton where we won 36-1, there was an usual feeling to that game, and the week preceding it...I am pretty certain, that had we lost, changes in some form would of happened. So I feel somewhat indebted to Dennis for doing what he needed to do...
Dennis Skulsky and David Braley have both denied that any coaching changes were being considered and Wally has said that he didn't feel his job was on the line. Any speculation to the contrary about Skulsky's comments is just chatter by fans and media.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

There is something of a "soldiers" versus "civilians" mentality in football. This picture breaks that code. It definitely makes the players look inclusive. No one is shooed away. Skulsky is an integral part of the team. As is Neil McAvoy on the right. I don't recognize the guy with the red beard.

I think the attitude of the players here is tolerant. How can you kick out the President?

But I think most coaches and staff would defer to the players and choose to not be in the picture.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Brutal. There is a time and place for that not amid a players celebration. I still see Skulsky down on the sidelines during home games as well. I don't get it as a team president should be up in the corporate suites shmoozing with sponsors and others. It will be interesting to see what happens to Scott Ackles as he left the Stampeders team president position to run the 2011 Grey Cup but now that gig is over. Do the Lions have a position in the front office for him??
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I can't believe that this thread is even a thread. This man has done a lot for BC Lions even before he became President.

I would have no issue if every member of the Lions organization were in a photo as all of them contribute to a successful team.

Every team picture I recall of the Lions had everyone including equipment staff and President.

This was no doubt one photo in a bunch with people coming in and out.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
squishy35
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:I can't believe that this thread is even a thread. This man has done a lot for BC Lions even before he became President.

I would have no issue if every member of the Lions organization were in a photo as all of them contribute to a successful team.

Every team picture I recall of the Lions had everyone including equipment staff and President.

This was no doubt one photo in a bunch with people coming in and out.

Agreed. He is the President of the team and he has done a swell job. He deserves to be part of a team picture. I am sure many were taken. None of the players seem upset by the fact that he is holding the cup.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Here are two additional pictures of the group celebration, taken from different angles.

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:Who are the guys on the right - a dark-eyed guy in a black shirt and a red-bearded guy in glasses and a ballcap?
Interesting question, I don't know. I also wonder about the other non-uniformed men in the group picture.

1. In the first picture, who is the man in the light grey t-shirt to the upper-left of the Grey Cup?

2. In the second picture, who is the man in the upper-right in the black shirt with the BC Lions logo?

3. How about the man in the lower-right wearing the long-sleeved orange shirt showing GREY CUP?

At least all five guys are carrying field ID passes meaning they had permission on the field and they were not some fan who jumped in from the stands.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Neil McAvoy and Kelly Bates in black at the back right.

The guy with the red beard looks like a lineman.
almo89
Legend

The guy wearing the long sleeved Grey Cup shirt looks like Jerome Dennis
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Not so BC Fan...Dennis has back tracked from his comments at the time saying that anything was possible and that what happened in the Winnipeg game could not be tolerated...Lowell Ullrich has stood behind his stories and sources on the FACT that coaching changes would have occurred had the Lions lost in Edmonton...not necessarily Wally, but elements of the coaching staff...and you could feel it the whole week as well, both from Wally and the rest of the team...

I know this was the case...if I can find the link to the LU articles I will post them here.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
David
Team Captain

Thanks for the extra pics Robbie. Yup, lots of variety there!

One common denominator. The guy in the middle holding the Cup is from the front office.

Sheesh, I never said he's a bad person, nor did I say he's doing a bad job. I just don't think he should be smack-dab in the middle of a player celebration holding the Grey Cup is all.

And the guy with the red beard and glasses is Tim Cronk.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar