Open letter to Joe Kapp

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dieter
Rookie

I write this here because of Kapps Lion's connection.

Much of what is in italics below is in my previous post

Being from Winnipeg originally I didn't see the hit till last year when Angelo spoke at a fundraiser for our Okanagan Sun scholarship dinner. I understand completely why Lion fans will never forget that hit. It becomes folklore becuase of the situation. But I am not sure anyone can really disagree there have been many, many FAR more "on the line" hits over the years.

I am biased as I was lucky enough to spend a brief lunch with Angelo one on one. Seeing the football player/wrestler tell war stories then immediatley go into Grandpa Mosca when my 18 year old daughter came by was amazing. I met a man who is all about family and love. Amazing man who spoke as eloquently to our players after practice as you could imagine about life.

But I also heard him talk football and there is some bitterness on his part over that hit. He said he tried to avoid Fleming (to a degree I am sure) and that if he really wanted to hurt Fleming he could have killed him. He says he hears about that hit every day and much of what Kapp says obviously gets back to him.

He may have milked the reputation gained from that hit and his dirty play because of his wrestling gig, but that's showmanship and was also many years ago now.

On Monday, someone from the CFL was on Team 1040 (I can't remember who because I missed the intro) and said that you had a chip on your shoulder from the moment you arrived. He also said that Mosca tried to shake your hand and you refused. This person said that you wouldn't even look at Mosca while you were both at the table.

Let it go Kapp...

This is just the way Mosca desribed it himself and would explain the "shove it up your A__" comment when you sarcastically handed him the flower. (plus as I said your comments over the years get back to him and he wanted to let it go as he aged)

Everyone keeps saying Mosca threw the first punch. He didn't. It's right there on the video, the second time the flowers were used by you, when you shoved them in Mosca's face all Mosca did was push them away. You threw the first punch into his shoulder, it was then that Mosca used his cane. It's plain as day on video.

I don't know anything about you Mr. Kapp.

Maybe you are the nicest guy in the world who just refuses to let something go from a football game 48 years ago. Who am I to fault you for that. Fleming's injury that Mosca played a part in likely did cost you a championship. Maybe I'd feel the long held disdain for Mosca that you do, I don't know.

But what I will find fault with is your essentially assaulting someone pretty unable to defend themself. Regardless of both your age you are able bodied and every knows (if they didn't already they saw it at the luncheon) that Mosca can barely stand.

I've read often that you were tough as nails when you played. At 73 years old you probably still are, but swinging at Mosca while he was propped up, balancing himself didn't prove this as fact. It wasn''t a fair fight at all. Maybe 10 years ago it would have been, but not now.

It would have been an outstanding event to see a pair of legends on stage talking old memories from one of the biggest moments in Grey Cup history.

Instead we saw a grade A jerk, a bully pick his shot and try to embarras and then successfully punch out out someone on one good leg.

Wow Joe, that was impressive.

You may be a Grey Cup winner, but you are no Travis Lulay, no Roy Dewalt, no Danny Mac, no Damon Allen, no Dave Dickenson.

Those men, had they been in your situation would have traded memories with an old nemesis with class.

I chose to write this letter because of a story in http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 42481.html that disturbed me a bit. As I thought might be the case, the altercation has been difficult for Angelo Mosca.

Mr. Mosca, keep your chin up. This wasn't your fault. You are a hall of famer on and off the field.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

You know, I debated a while about whether to post on this or not. It is a little bit like flogging a dead horse but your version of events is a little off so far as I am concerned.

You say watch the video as proof of who threw the first punch. I have watched it several times. I see no punches until after the cane swing. Yes Kapp slaps him in the arm with the flowers but that doesn't equate to full cane swing that knocks off a persons glasses. I don't know if you wear glasses but for a lot who do, it is go time if you knock them off. Better than red in front of a bull. I am not trying to excuse Kapp in this but both men behaved badly. I feel no sympathy for Mr. Mosca. He has lived his entire life by the "rough, tough, son of a *beeotch*" credo and so he will have to endure it's legacy. He was just as capable as Kapp of trying to mend this rift years ago and never has.

The bottom line is that both of these men are adults, both behaved badly and neither should have a tear shed for them. And that is coming from someone who admittedly doesn't care for Angela Mosca or the schtick that he has made his living off all these years. If I can see two sides to this, so should you. This open letter to Joe Kapp is one sided. Either could have chosen to turn the other cheek over the years or the day in question and didn't. This incident was about grown men, making choices....ultimately poor ones.

You say yourself, you don't know anything about Kapp, you then go on to judge him and then post an open letter on a forum which is going to have pro Kapp leanings to say the very least. I don't know what you hope to accomplish here with it except perhaps inflame a few people. It certainly isn't going to net you anything so far as the two individuals are concerned.

If you are so truly bent out of shape on this, why don't you forget about the "whose fault is it" and write a nice letter to the CFL Alumni encouraging them to contact each party and try to act as peacemakers. It would be good publicity for the league, good for both individuals and maybe redeem some of what has been lost.
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:This incident was about grown men, making choices....ultimately poor ones.
And they've both apologized for those choices. I see the incident as nothing but an excuse for a few laughs.

I wasn't at the 1963 game. I listened on radio but I've seen the clip of Mosca's hit on Fleming countless times. I still can't see anything dirty or late about it. I see a lot worse hits in every game, some penalized, some not.
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:You know, I debated a while about whether to post on this or not. It is a little bit like flogging a dead horse but your version of events is a little off so far as I am concerned.

You say watch the video as proof of who threw the first punch. I have watched it several times. I see no punches until after the cane swing. Yes Kapp slaps him in the arm with the flowers but that doesn't equate to full cane swing that knocks off a persons glasses. I don't know if you wear glasses but for a lot who do, it is go time if you knock them off. Better than red in front of a bull. I am not trying to excuse Kapp in this but both men behaved badly. I feel no sympathy for Mr. Mosca. He has lived his entire life by the "rough, tough, son of a *beeotch*" credo and so he will have to endure it's legacy. He was just as capable as Kapp of trying to mend this rift years ago and never has.

The bottom line is that both of these men are adults, both behaved badly and neither should have a tear shed for them. And that is coming from someone who admittedly doesn't care for Angela Mosca or the schtick that he has made his living off all these years. If I can see two sides to this, so should you. This open letter to Joe Kapp is one sided. Either could have chosen to turn the other cheek over the years or the day in question and didn't. This incident was about grown men, making choices....ultimately poor ones.

You say yourself, you don't know anything about Kapp, you then go on to judge him and then post an open letter on a forum which is going to have pro Kapp leanings to say the very least. I don't know what you hope to accomplish here with it except perhaps inflame a few people. It certainly isn't going to net you anything so far as the two individuals are concerned.

If you are so truly bent out of shape on this, why don't you forget about the "whose fault is it" and write a nice letter to the CFL Alumni encouraging them to contact each party and try to act as peacemakers. It would be good publicity for the league, good for both individuals and maybe redeem some of what has been lost.
Hear him, hear him!

Mosco completely enjoyed the nasty tag associated with him that was given after the hit on Fleming, in fact he made a living off of that reputation after his CFL career. In fact I am finding hard to believe that either participant aren't having a laugh or two from all this hub bub that they have created. Not often a couple of 73 year olds can capitalize on their youth the way this epic CFL lore has been reborn.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

For BC Fan.

I tend to agree, the hit was borderline but that is really irrelevant at this point. The problem is that these two men still seem to be smarting from it . There is an old saying "It takes two to Tango". If one of them is having trouble with it, then I guess they had better figure out how resolve it. This incident will probably become the stuff of legends and at some level there is some humour to it but overall, two people fighting with dislike at its base is not something that we should be laughing about. It strikes at the core of sportsmanship and without that, there is no game to enjoy.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote: Hear him, hear him!

Mosco completely enjoyed the nasty tag associated with him that was given after the hit on Fleming, in fact he made a living off of that reputation after his CFL career. In fact I am finding hard to believe that either participant aren't having a laugh or two from all this hub bub that they have created. Not often a couple of 73 year olds can capitalize on their youth the way this epic CFL lore has been reborn.
I never really thought of that but you are quite right. It has brought forward some CFL history to a whole new generation. Whatever is to come I am sure that Mosca won't be feeling any particular trauma as he cashes the royalty cheques from his book which has received a mega dose of publicity over the incident.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I only wish Kapp has been able to hit him twice.

People get what's coming to them. It was beautiful to watch.
Buonosjanet69
Starter

both were jack-asses, just one was more jack-assey than the other, that's all.

If Mosca was more able bodied, he would have used his fists instead of cane, and then many would be on his case for pummelling a much smaller man. Or what if Mosca had done damage with that cane?

In any case, any publicity can be twisted into money making publicity.. money making for all the parties involved: Mosca, Kapp, the Lions and even the CFL, Youtube, etc, etc. That's the only positive spin you can put on this.

Morally, no, Financially, yes.

Entertainment? For many.

Gotta say that I am both appalled and amused by what happened lol. Mosca needs to go back and write that into his book hehe.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

wonder if matty D is carrying a grudge agaisnt anyone?

could we be having somethng to look forward two in a couple of decades :wink:

How about Mike G?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Big Time
Champion

I have no affinity towards either player. I was vaguely aware of the feud and saw highlights of the hit this week but it took place long before I was born so my emotional investment is zero. I can say that I have been watching the Lions since 1986. As such I'd offer the following.

I first heard about the fight on the Team1040 when Moj was talking about it. The way he described it made it sound kind of funny, like two old guys having a fun little argument.

Then I saw the video.

I can tell you that I was truly appalled and embarrassed for both men. Kapp should know better than to waive anything in another man's face. He completely instigated the whole affair. I get the whole idea of defending yourself if someone takes a swing at you, especially with a cane. But throwing punches at a sitting man and punching him through the backdrop on the stage was absolutely disgusting. Mosca literally could have been killed. Even worse, Kapp tried to act like a hero by making some lame jokes to the crowd afterwards who seemed to be caught in an extremely awkward moment, not sure if this was real or whether what they say was something staged.

I don't care what Kapp has done for the Lions and I don't care how Mosca has handled himself since 1963. Joe Kapp, in my opinion, is an utter embarrassment to the Lions franchise and should never, ever be invited to participate in another event for the Lions. EVER.

There is absolutely no place for this. Events like this do nothing to sell the game of football. They teach absolutely nothing to new and younger fans. It is the absolute opposite of what I would want my son to see if we had been in attendance. It was a total disrespect to the Lions franchise and the CFL in general.

Kapp and Mosca may have both apologized for what happened. I can accept that however that doesn't mean they should be given the privilege of representing the CFL in any way from this point onward.

Maybe I'm being too harsh but I'll save my respect for players who handle themselves the right way. Players like Dave Dickenson, Lui Passaglia, Geroy Simon and Travis Lulay.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It's fortunately that BOTH men were 73 years old with regards to their reputations. If one was significantly younger, then that younger person would have definitely been labeled as a huge coward regardless of who the instigator was. That's what happened in the 2003 ALCS brawl when Pedro Martinez grabbed 72-year old Yankees bench manager Don Zimmer from the head and rigorously threw him to the ground. Even though it was Zimmer who charged at Martinez, everyone criticized Martinez for assaulting an elderly man who was old enough to be his grandfather.

In this latest incident, Mosca got the worse of it. At that age, anything could happen and I'm reminded of a scene from the movie Rocky III. If Mosca actually died of a heart attack from the punches and the fall, then I wonder if prosecutors would actually charge Kapp with manslaughter.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

A former 273 pound CFL tackle and former wrestler is not defenceless even though he uses a cane to assist him walking. He still looks plenty strong, despite his slow walking. So I would not call him helpless and defenceless. Plus he certainly was ready to swing his cane at the provocation of flowers in his face.

So, no sympathy for Angelo Mosca from me. And this although I saw the CFL video of his career, enjoyed it, and thought he looked like the kind of guy you would want on your team. A tough guy, but a good teammate.

He has obviously carried a dislike for Joe Kapp through the years.

Joe Kapp is a known commodity. He is a street fighter. "The Toughest Chicano," according to the cover of Sports Illustrated. He played football more like a middle linebacker than a quarterback. Mosca swung his cane at the wrong guy, and hit the wrong guy with his cane. (Knowing Kapp, can one reasonably expect him to do nothing after Mosca knocks his glasses off with the cane?)

According to Kapp, Mosca was mouthing F *** You's to him throughout the banquet. I would say to Angelo: "You're 73 now. You are no longer the toughest kid on the block. Your reputation will not protect you from everyone anymore." And consider who Joe Kapp is: not your everyday quarterback to toss around like a rag doll.

IMO Joe Kapp will just add one little incident to the folklore that already exists for him. It fits right in. For better or worse. He punched out the former tough guy, and kicked him in the ass on the way down. And for Kapp's fans, including myself, he did for the beloved Willie Fleming.

IMO Angelo Mosca does not come across so much as a tough guy, but as a mean-spirited guy, a guy willing to hit someone with his cane. For a guy promoting his book about his "tough guy" life, this incident does not do him any favours. When it got right down to it, he found out he was too old to be the top dog anymore.

Personally I am not embarrassed about this as a football fan. Kapp did not surprise me. I do not think any less of him after this incident. I do think a bit less of Angelo Mosca. For most people it would be embarrassing. But for ex-football players, from a previous era, with lifelong grudges? Nah ... It is part of the folklore.

If Mosca had really connected with the cane, Kapp could have been seriously hurt.

A punch to the cheek of Mosca from a 73 year old guy? Not so much.

The fall backward for an ex football player/wrestler? Not so much.

Any lawsuits out of this fracas? Nah ... Could have been. But not now. And neither of these guys considered the ramifications of their actions at the time. They were acting on old jungle instincts.

If they are ever at a banquet together again (not a good idea), Kapp would laugh at Mosca. Mosca would just glare, and maybe mouth or say some more F*** You's.

Provocative thought ... Who would win, in an MMA fight? Ha ha ... The ex-boxer/street fighter, or the ex pro "wrestler"? I would bet on Kapp. LOL
Blitz
Team Captain

Mosca opens up about Kapp scuffle 59

By Steve Buffery ,Toronto Sun
08:07 PM EST | Updated: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 08:17 PM EST

TORONTO - Angelo Mosca is still hurting over that now legendary scrap he had with fellow septuagenarian Joe Kapp last Friday during the Grey Cup celebrations in Vancouver.

But it’s not the physical pain that’s kept the CFL legend hidden away in his St. Catharines home.

Mosca, 73, said he’s had a difficult time emotionally dealing with what went down five days ago at a CFL Alumni Association luncheon which was held, appropriately enough, at an Armory.

“I’ve had an empty feeling, a very empty feeling,” the former Hamilton Tiger-Cats lineman said over the phone. “It’s been really tough. I’ve just been staying at home watching TV, not going out in public.

“I’m just getting over this,” he added. “I’ve had a helluva couple of days.”

The run-in between the former CFL greats has become one of the most-watched bits on YouTube. It’s also become a great source of embarrassment and distress to both parties. Kapp, also 73, told the Vancouver Province that he was sorry for his part in the scrap, but insisted that he was only defending himself. But Mosca said Kapp arrived at the function, which was to raise money for disadvantaged CFL alumni, with an axe to grind.

“I walked into the place and greeted him and said: ‘Hey Joe, baby, what’s happening?’ And he said: ‘Go f--- yourself!’ And I said: ‘Oh my gosh, there’s something wrong with this guy,’” said Mosca.

But Kapp told the Province that Mosca was “mouthing obscene statements” to him before the pair took the stage. Mosca denied that and believes that Kapp, the only player to quarterback in the Grey Cup, Super Bowl and Rose Bowl, has “something wrong with him.” Mosca said he noticed something amiss before their altercation.

“He was sitting at the same table as me and he kept mumbling and mumbling,” said Mosca. “I was like: ‘What is this guy’s act?’ I couldn’t figure him out. I didn’t think he was coherent, really.”

The dust-up began when Kapp tried to hand Mosca some flowers. Mosca, who said he was still sore over Kapp insulting him earlier, told him to “stick it up your ass.” When Kapp tried to shove the flowers in Mosca’s face and hit him on the arm with the small bouquet, Mosca stood up and knocked Kapp’s glasses off with his cane. Kapp then advanced on Mosca and decked him with a right hook.

Kapp later admitted to the crowd after that he still held a grudge over a late hit the bruising Mosca laid on the Lions’ Willie Fleming at the 1963 Grey Cup at Vancouver’s Empire Stadium, which proved to be a pivotal play in Hamilton’s 21-10 victory.

Almost as alarming as the actual confrontation was Kapp’s ramblings afterwards on the dais, particularly when he told the audience that he talked to Fleming before coming to Vancouver and asked his old teammate what he should say on his behalf.

“He said: ‘Just tell the people, I named my dog Angelo and I kick the (crap) out of that dog every day,’” Kapp said.

That left some in the crowd, and Mosca, stunned.

“It was totally insulting,” Mosca said. “But at least I got up and apologized to the people. We were there to help the needy guys and that’s what I’m all about. I wasn’t there for any other reason.

“We need help from the alumni and we’re not getting the proper help. We’re getting mediocre help.”

Mosca, who recently coauthored a book with Steve Milton called Tell Me To My Face (and denied that the incident was staged to boost book sales), said his spirits have been buoyed the last few days thanks to the support of his wife and a great many phone calls he’s received.

“I still can’t believe it happened. I’ve never been associated with such a deal in all these years,” he said. “I’ve done a lot of things in my lifetime and I think I hold a lot of respect for what I’ve tried to do. And obviously I haven’t lost (the respect) because a lot of people have called me and said nice things about me.

“Sure, a lot of guys hated me when I played,” Mosca added. “I was a hard-nosed guy. I asked for nothing and gave nothing
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
dtrain
Starter

cromartie wrote:I only wish Kapp has been able to hit him twice.

People get what's coming to them. It was beautiful to watch.
I love the fact that Kapp said he made sure to kick Mosca in the ass while he was down - love it!
Mosca deserved it all - for the cane shot to the head!