Joe Kapp v Angelo Mosca at charity banquet

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

joe kapp22
Legend

http://soundcloud.com/classicrock101/ja ... n-joe-kapp

This is really funny, Mosca took a cheap shot at Vern Fleming back in the day and Kapp and he went at it when Kapp tried to bring him some flowers.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

joe kapp22 wrote:http://soundcloud.com/classicrock101/ja ... n-joe-kapp

This is really funny, Mosca took a cheap shot at Vern Fleming back in the day and Kapp and he went at it when Kapp tried to bring him some flowers.
That would be Willie Fleming in the 1963 Grey Cup. Mosca has a book out and he is a natural born promoter so while the scene may not have been staged, Mosca may have just seen a publicity opportunity and just seized it.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I am not one for fighting in or after games and especially this many years later but I suspect that Joe Kapp even more than the fans who saw that hit on Willie Fleming find it hard to forgive that shot especially as Mosca has made a life time of not acknowledging that it was even borderline. Willie Fleming was never the same after that injury IIRC and it clearly cost the Lions the 1963 Grey Cup. That team was pretty tight and Joe Kapp was a key leader.

I for one will cut Joe some slack for settling the score. He was a great QB and team leader and always a BC Lion.

Grey Cup legends duke it out at alumni luncheon

By Cam Cole, Postmedia News November 26, 2011 12:06 AM

Read more: http://www.canada.com/sports/Grey+legen ... z1eoNnwXTz
VANCOUVER — Old Grey Cup scars die hard. Evidently, some never do.

At Friday’s annual Canadian Football League alumni luncheon — a Grey Cup week staple featuring legends of the game — two 73-year-old icons reprised a 48-year-old feud, leaving attendees gaping in disbelief.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Mosca has enjoyed his reputation as a "dirty" player.

He did hit Willie Fleming late, and Kapp.

Kapp is a tough guy.

What goes around comes around. Mosca never apologized for his late hit on Fleming.

Sounds almost like Mafia stuff. LOL Doesn't matter how old the guys get. Or how weak. Both 73 years old. Vengeance is taken anyway.

Kapp provoked it with the flowers. But Mosca hit him with his cane. LOL So of course Joe had to punch him out. LOL

Payback ... 48 years later. Attaboy, Joe. Payback for Willie. :thup:
joe kapp22
Legend

Well, I'm glad that neither hurt the other one, and the intensity is still there after 48 yrs.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I wonder how many drinks he bought Kapp to play along... :popcorn:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:By many accounts the fight was not staged with Kapp punching Mosca twice in the head and knocking him down. I don't think there is much love between the two, despite Joe shoving some flowers in Mosca's face.

Looking back at Mosca's infamous hit on Fleming, I don't see a lot wrong with it. Willie was still in bounds and squirming on the ground when Mosca flew by and clipped him...perhaps worthy of a "piling on" penalty but not the scorn of the nation. The CBC's "Mosca: Meanest Man in the Game" video below has a good clip of the hit:

http://archives.cbc.ca/sports/football/
Nice clip, JH.

I have no doubt that it was a real dustup. Between two old guys it is true, but the old animosity is still there. LOL

Back in the day, I would have to bet on Mosca in a scrap. But not now. It sounds like Joe is in much better condition. LOL
joe kapp22
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:By many accounts the fight was not staged with Kapp punching Mosca twice in the head and knocking him down. I don't think there is much love between the two, despite Joe shoving some flowers in Mosca's face.

Looking back at Mosca's infamous hit on Fleming, I don't see a lot wrong with it. Willie was still in bounds and squirming on the ground when Mosca flew by and clipped him...perhaps worthy of a "piling on" penalty but not the scorn of the nation. The CBC's "Mosca: Meanest Man in the Game" video below has a good clip of the hit:

http://archives.cbc.ca/sports/football/
Nice clip, JH.

I have no doubt that it was a real dustup. Between two old guys it is true, but the old animosity is still there. LOL

Back in the day, I would have to bet on Mosca in a scrap. But not now. It sounds like Joe is in much better condition. LOL
Hmm, the only thing that prevented it from escalating was if Joe threw something at him he'd miss, and Angelo's walker would get in the way...LOL
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Just finishing TSN naming the top 10 character players in the CFL. Guess who's #1 followed by Dick Thorton and Johnny Rodgers ?
Ravi
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Just finishing TSN naming the top 10 character players in the CFL. Guess who's #1 followed by Dick Thorton and Johnny Rodgers ?
I really enjoyed that show! :thup:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Just finishing TSN naming the top 10 character players in the CFL. Guess who's #1 followed by Dick Thorton and Johnny Rodgers ?
I was expecting murray pazim to be on the list somewhere high.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Absolutely, but Joe just showed how smart he is, waiting until he had all the cards stacked in his favour. Glad that nobody was hurt, it will be a memory that many will share about this Grey Cup. :popcorn:
Entertainment value = an all time low
joe kapp22
Legend

http://watch.tsn.ca/clip575393#clip575393

Uhm, there is video...my goodness I love this league. :beer:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Justifiable self defence case there. Mosca attacks with cane which could have caused a lot of damage.

Kapp was wrong to stuff the flower right in his face especially a guy like Mosca but the caning was an over the top in response as the flower posed no danger to Mosca but the cane did to Joe.

My wife is outraged but for some reason I am not - and I don't like fighting in sports or at events like this one. And not years later.

Peanut Butter Joe is now looking more like Smoking Joe there. He can still toss some good punches.

I think if you are old enough to have seen that... like WCJ and I ... we cut Joe some slack here.

Remember that there was no internet to see that play over and over and we all might have seen that play just 3 or 4 times and then locked into how bad it was.

Willie Fleming and Joe Kapp owned Vancouver. Fleming had the Lions Den clothing store on Granville Street just south of Georgia. Kapp owned the hotel/ bar on Broadway. You saw Lions all around downtown and North Van whereas now you might see more in Surrey and the 'burbs and just Canucks DT and the players are more aloof these days. I suspect that Vancouver was more like it might be in the Peg and Regina with players. Smaller communities - easier to spot.

NV 's Sonny Homer would come by the pool hall a day before a game just to chat and see old friends.

We used to play touch at Grand Boulevard with our older brothers in High School. I was 11 so we'd mostly be the pass rushers or go one on one with guys our age. One day this guy comes up to us as we were getting the teams together and asked if he could play. He was Lion QB in '56 Jerry Gustafson who had been signed just in to the season. We didn't know him at that time but he had fun and told us after who he was. Of course we said yes.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy