Lions to play in Edmonton???

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Dave Campbell
@Dave_CHED Dave Campbell
Strike by workers at B.C. Place Stadium may shift Saturday's game to #yeg, #CFL has asked the #Eskimos to be ready just in case. #CFL
There is some speculation that the Eskimos vs Lions game could shift to Edmonton with a decision to be made Wednesday latest, if necessary....
Entertainment value = an all time low
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Inauspicious if it comes to pass…

Lions need everything going their way ending out the last two campaigns of our season, which are more likened to playoff dates, than our last two regular season games.

We need to play them both at home in front of our fans, and anything less than that is BS! :tp:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Time for the government to step in and end this nonsense.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Needless to say with flights and hotels already booked and paid for to Vancouver this weekend I would not be very happy. This could potentially cost Braley and the Lions a few million in lost revenue. Turning the most pivotal game of the season into a road game drastically hurts BC's chances of finishing first. Not only that it also very much puts the possibilty of hosting a playoff game in jeopardy. Really nice of the union if they were to be Mr. Nice Guy to the Whitecaps then absolutely screw the Lions left, right and centre. Should job action disrupt any Lion games it will be the Lions and the fans who will pay the heaviest price, not the union members employer PAVCO. Has the teardown of Empire started yet?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Time for the government to step in and end this nonsense.

Normally I'd say no, but this is very stupid and not wise for their union. Got to be a better way than to not get any money at all.

Not up on this but this might be the union way to get a bigger push from the Lions and other stakeholders to get Pavco to settle it to the union's satisfaction. No doubt they will cave in at the last minute which I guess is close?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Needless to say with flights and hotels already booked and paid for to Vancouver this weekend I would not be very happy. This could potentially cost Braley and the Lions a few million in lost revenue. Turning the most pivotal game of the season into a road game drastically hurts BC's chances of finishing first. Not only that it also very much puts the possibilty of hosting a playoff game in jeopardy. Really nice of the union if they were to be Mr. Nice Guy to the Whitecaps then absolutely screw the Lions left, right and centre. Should job action disrupt any Lion games it will be the Lions and the fans who will pay the heaviest price, not the union members employer PAVCO. Has the teardown of Empire started yet?
From what I've heard they've already begun dismantling Empire.

Even if all scheduled games here go ahead, this job action threat is not conducive to selling tickets and could affect the gate for the two reg season and (potential) playoff games upcoming. :thdn:
Last edited by sj-roc on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
joe kapp22
Legend

This would not be optimal, biggest show down game of the yr for BC, in the renewed 500 million dollar stadium, and the game is moved?
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
QB Club 63
All Star

My brother & I drove past Empire this afternoon & the tear-down is well under way. Cranes all over the pace, metalwork crawling with workers. The south end zone seats are about half gone. The roof is almost completely removed.

That's all I could make out from our quick drive-by.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

What a wild season. For most of the first two months of the season I was frustrated because I was going to go to a Grey Cup game that looked like the Lions had no chance of playing in (based on their coaching/play a safe conclusion, IMO). Now the Lions have battled back and we may not get to watch the matchup... Frustrating but theres nothing I can do about it. Certainly hope it gets resolved. If we miss the Edmonton game and it still doesn't get resolved, I guess we play our last game in Montreal...?
pennw
Legend

Truly disgusting of Union to do this . Hope the Lions would file a lawsuit against the Union for lost revenue , Whitecaps too , should this happen .
Passaglia
All Star

Does anyone honestly believe there will be no settlement by game time?? There is way too much to lose for both the Lions, and the employees who certainly don't have a lot more stadium dates this year to work.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

jcalhoun wrote:Wow.

If the union doesn't back down, I'd expect there to be a serious public backlash over this. Can you imagine what the cost will be to the Lions to not only lose the revenue from 30k+ tickets, but also having to refund all the season ticket holders? Can you imagine if a union strike call effected the Canucks playoff seeding? --they'd never let that happen.

If a game at BC Place is called off, I hope the Lions call for a neutral site game. Play a back to back game at Taylor Field. Play in Toronto. Play anywhere other than Edmonton.

Ridiculous.

James
My vote is for McMahon Stadium. Guaranteed to bring in 30K fans who, while they may not be cheering for the Leos, will definitely be cheering against the Esks.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Hambone wrote:Needless to say with flights and hotels already booked and paid for to Vancouver this weekend I would not be very happy. This could potentially cost Braley and the Lions a few million in lost revenue. Turning the most pivotal game of the season into a road game drastically hurts BC's chances of finishing first. Not only that it also very much puts the possibilty of hosting a playoff game in jeopardy. Really nice of the union if they were to be Mr. Nice Guy to the Whitecaps then absolutely screw the Lions left, right and centre. Should job action disrupt any Lion games it will be the Lions and the fans who will pay the heaviest price, not the union members employer PAVCO. Has the teardown of Empire started yet?
Just to amend my own estimates if the Lions's final 2 games are hijacked by the unions and have to be played in Edmonton and Montreal or neutral sites and the fallout is Calgary sneaks into 2nd then the lost revenue to the Lions could be as high as $7 million. I came up with $5.2 million based on 35000 average for the final 2 regular season games at an average ticket price of $40 and 40000 for a playoff game at an average price of $60 but those ticket averages could be light. The Lions would receive some revenues for regular season games forced to play elsewhere. How that is figured out is probably already written in the language of the CFL's constitution. But there would be no revenue compensation for a 3rd place finish no matter how much losing 2 home dates can be pointed to as a factor. Also add the local hotel and hospitality industries and their employees as people likely to pay a bigger price than the union's intended target PAVCO.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.