Lions @ Riders, October 16, 2011 Vegas Odds and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Vegas favours the Lions by 8 over the Riders. Ouch.

When a team is down, like the Riders, they often play well. Or they tank. I expect them to be tough out of the gate. If we keep our cool, and make plays, we could blow them out.

More likely is a tough struggle.

Who will quarterback for the hapless little green men? Berquist? Bring back the Battle of Montana, Lulay vs Berquist.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The Riders I think are for real. They suck.

Either they lack talent and this team needs to be blown up OR the cancer spread seemingly by the Durant antics during the Marshall-Berry Regime is now irreversible. Reading the Durant comments during and after that time has led me to conclude that Durant is not a character guy and combined with the decline of the Riders from the day Tillman left is leading to the mess they are in now. It looks good on those players as they got what they wanted and deserve it.

Miller may be a good coach judging by what he did but that organization was built by Eric Tillman and once he left the leadership structure in place there was bizarre. Marshall intimates that Miller was there too much and never left thus opening the door to the players to ensure their coaches were fired. Marshall is not blameless either but he was a rookie HC.

The Lions aren't going to be given the game but I'd not bet against them in this one.

Miller is in a bit of a tough spot here. He now no longer has a coach to fire for his next trick. Now if they go out and hire a new HC for next year and which coach of any quality would take that job? They'll find a guy for sure but those dumb enough to take that job with Miller there as he was before is not likely to do better job or be in a better position to succeed than Marshall or Miller.

I give the Lion players credit for not going public as Chapball killed any chances of winning the early games. Now much of the silence was fear of being banished to Hamilton but still they played on and didnt quit...they just weren't successful passing 25 times a game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I have to admit I do like to sneak a peek at Riderfans.com from time to time. Not to post any troll-like trash, just to read what the fans have got to say. I can't go over there right now. They are going through what we have gone through on/off the past few seasons and especially our slow start this year. I almost wish we still had a home game against the Riders. Would the scalpers take a bath due to no willing melon-headed ticket takers? I'm guessing no, because Rider fans are a loyal bunch.

Watching this game Sunday will be fun. You hope the Lions play well. IIRC, they do usually seem to play just a little bit sharper (better) when suiting up at Mosaic. I want the Lions to win but I want it close enough the Rider fans stay interested in the game. Leaving at half-time is probably a good sign the Lions are having a great day.....

I think the Argos and Riders have the same problem (looking big picture). Offense. The Argos stunk on offense, IMO, so what did Barker do? Can the defensive coordinator of course. The Riders have struggled in lots of areas (including defending using a bakers dozen) but IMO, offense also seems to be their weak point. Their long-term RB Cates has been injured or under-used for much of the season, IMO. A team that holds onto the ball for long periods on offense, probably scores a lot of points and keeps the D rested. Watching what happens in Regina will be interesting in the off season but then again, regardless of how the BC Lions season ends, I think there will be some interesting issues arising here too.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I am personally delighted to see the so called "Canada's team" in a state of turmoil. With Durant out with a broken foot and Ryan Dinwiddie at the helm, this Sunday could get ugly.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/slim-playoff- ... vival-mode\

Beware the wounded opponent ... With their dying breath, they can strike ...
"We're going to play to win,'' Miller said Wednesday. "We're going to play every game to win.''

In order to earn the crossover playoff spot, the Riders would have to win all four of their remaining games, and the Tiger-Cats would have to lose all four of theirs.

"We still have a sliver of hope,'' said quarterback Darian Durant, who is expected to start against the visiting B.C. Lions on Sunday.
The Lions (8-6) own a share of first place in the West. riding the crest of a seven-game winning streak. They have beaten Saskatchewan in both meetings this season, 24-11 in Vancouver and 42-5 in Regina.

"The thing they do as well as anybody in the league is, they make you earn everything you get,'' said Roughriders offensive line coach Steve Buratto. "They don't give you anything.''
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Durant is suggesting today that he might play. Health wise I think it is a mistake but he still gives them their best chance to perform well IMO. If we lose this game however, it is likely because of mistakes we make on our side rather than them having the game of the year. The same basic rules apply. Don't make a lot of silly mistakes (that almost cost us last week). Take what the opponent gives you and give as little as anything in return. Stick to Getzlaf like glue and pressure the QB which should be easier than it has been in the past because of either the player or the injuries.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

Trap game
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Montreal at home should beat Hamilton, which the Riders will no doubt be watching front their locker room just prior to kick off. If that happens the team and the crowd may have a bit more life to start the game. IF Durant plays, and IF he is at all healthy, and IF the Riders can get an early score or at least a big break (i.e. turnover) they could give the Lions a fight.
Rodu
Champion

korey&dante4ever wrote:Trap game
came to say this
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:Montreal at home should beat Hamilton, which the Riders will no doubt be watching front their locker room just prior to kick off. If that happens the team and the crowd may have a bit more life to start the game. IF Durant plays, and IF he is at all healthy, and IF the Riders can get an early score or at least a big break (i.e. turnover) they could give the Lions a fight.
That kind of cuts both ways: if Ham wins, Ssk's season is over and players will be playing for their jobs next year. Bottom line, BC cannot take them too lightly and risk facing disaster (see season finale, 1991).
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Belize City Lion wrote:Montreal at home should beat Hamilton, which the Riders will no doubt be watching front their locker room just prior to kick off. If that happens the team and the crowd may have a bit more life to start the game. IF Durant plays, and IF he is at all healthy, and IF the Riders can get an early score or at least a big break (i.e. turnover) they could give the Lions a fight.
That kind of cuts both ways: if Ham wins, Ssk's season is over and players will be playing for their jobs next year.
I think no matter what happens, Riders are playing for jobs next year. But if Hamilton wins the Riders have more reason to play for a win, not just to showcase individual ability.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If Durant plays, he might kill the Lions with his passing, certainly not with his scrambling ability if indeed he has a broken foot.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:If Durant plays, he might kill the Lions with his passing, certainly not with his scrambling ability if indeed he has a broken foot.
If he plays maybe he can just talk the Lions defense to a loss.

This season he's done more talking than playing. Years ago I used to think Burris never took any responsibility but he was nothing compared to what this clown has turned out to be. He will quite possibly talk himself out of a job.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
joe kapp22
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:If Durant plays, he might kill the Lions with his passing, certainly not with his scrambling ability if indeed he has a broken foot.
A non mobile Durant will get crushed imo, he is not all that accurate a passer and made many of plays on the rollout or waggle or sprint outs, if he is nailed to a small area of the pocket the passrush should get to him early and often.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Rammer
Team Captain

korey&dante4ever wrote:Trap game
Given that the Riders realistically have nothing to play for, the coaching staff may pull out all the stops. I would expect the Rider to attempt to entertain their home fans with some creativity, hopefully the Lions are prepared to come to work on Sunday. Weather is about as good as one can expect at this time of year, without much wind in the forecast....11º and winds at 10Kmh.
Entertainment value = an all time low