What has Lulay impressed you most with?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

almo89
Legend

For me it would have to be his maturity. Earlier one when we were losing every week, he would be answering the tough questions. He did look frustrated in the game where he got pulled, but every QB does that. He showed lots of maturity by not throwing anybody under the bus right after and continued to work hard. His worth ethic is well known as we've heard players say he's the first guy at work and the last one to leave and this was when he was still a 3rd stringer. He earned my respect last year when he apologized to his teammates for throwing the pick 6 to Byron Parker. He's always had the right attitude and we can only hope that his actualy abilities on the field continues to steadily improve.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Character is as good as it gets.

Confidence. Setbacks are water off a duck's back for him.

Mobility. Elusiveness and speed. Excellent size for a CFL quarterback. I would say he has an excellent arm, with just a bit of scattergun tendency.

He can read the defence. He can throw on the run. He can pocket pass.

He can throw deep. Hello Akeem Foster. Hello Arland Bruce. He can throw short.

Great teammate. Humble. Willing to face the music.

Many great attributes.

The one that stands out for me though is his natural confidence.

By the way, at this stage of their careers, who would you rather have: Lulay or Burris? Lulay or Calvillo? Lulay or Ricky Ray? OK that last one would be tough to choose. But otherwise it is Travis Lulay all the way.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

Character, team guy, heart, will to win.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
almo89
Legend

Agree with everything WCJ has to say. Interesting that you say arm strength. I remember fans complaining early on that he had no arm strength, but these says we see him zip some nice throws on a rope. I'd like to see him throw less wobblers, but that's just nit picking.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:Agree with everything WCJ has to say. Interesting that you say arm strength. I remember fans complaining early on that he had no arm strength, but these says we see him zip some nice throws on a rope. I'd like to see him throw less wobblers, but that's just nit picking.
Since praise is going around for Wally Buono these days, I would have to say he still has that magic of finding young quarterbacks and allowing them to develop . Buono has said all he does is give them reps (at practice). Well, actually that is a lot. Some Head Coaches, so worried about the next game, give all or most of the reps to the starter. Wally also has had good judgment. He has had patience. And he has given them a system in which to have success.

IMO his O and D systems and philosophy got outdated and overly conservative with the arrival of Austin, Hufnagel and Trestman (which is not surprising considering Wally's longevity), but that situation, judging by the results on the field, has been addressed. :thup:
almo89
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
almo89 wrote:Agree with everything WCJ has to say. Interesting that you say arm strength. I remember fans complaining early on that he had no arm strength, but these says we see him zip some nice throws on a rope. I'd like to see him throw less wobblers, but that's just nit picking.
Since praise is going around for Wally Buono these days, I would have to say he still has that magic of finding young quarterbacks and allowing them to develop . Buono has said all he does is give them reps. Well, actually that is a lot. Some Head Coaches, so worried about the next game, give all or most of the reps to the starter. Wally also has had good judgment. He has had patience. And he has given them a system in which to have success.

IMO his O and D systems and philosophy got outdated with the arrival of Austin, Hufnagel and Trestman (which is not surprising considering Wally's longevity), but that situation, judging by the results on the field, has been addressed. :thup:
The game had definitely passed Wally by a bit and the slow starts for the past 3 seasons show it, but he's definitely ahead of the curve when it comes to developing QB's. It means a lot when your back up and 3rd stringers get reps. Not enough teams do this and people wonder why there are not enough good QB's in the CFL
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Two things that have impressed me a lot about the winning streak that Lulay has shown me. He had lots of strengths, IMO, but these ones really stand out, for me.

He is picking great times to run. Some QB's seem to get worried and then take off. He's picking great opportunities to run and still staying in to throw. My favourite Lulay jog was the long one at the recent Argo/Lions game at Empire.

Second, even more important, IMO. He'll grudgingly accept a little credit but he is so quick to BLAME :wink: his offensive line, recievers, defence, special teams, coaches for the success the Lions are having. Great leadership IMO. I have to admit I'm seeing more of this out of Geroy Simon too. In the past I thought he was willing to talk about how great a game he had after wins but wanted to talk about how WE GOTTA GET BETTER after losses. Thankfully he seems to have changed a little bit more from me to WE in all cases now. But I'm nitpicking. Probably hasn't hurt to have a guy like Bruce to take some of the pressue off.....
Blitz
Team Captain

The areas that impress me are that he is a character guy, a hard worker, a keen learner, and his general poise.

Travis Lulay had a tough beginning as a starter last year. Of couse all of our quarterbacks struggled at the start of last season...Printers, Lulay, and Jarious Jackson. Printers and Jackson were hurting but it was very difficult to play quarterback for the first 8 games last season with all the offensive line juggling and personell decisions we made with that unit to begin last season. However, Lulay, when given the starting role in the second half of last season, playing behind an improved offensive line, showed poise and also used his mobility to perform well in a number of games.

However, to begin this season, I thought Lulay struggled at times. His passing average and quarterback rating was the lowest of any quarterback in the CFL for the first 5 games of the season. He had to deal with four rookie receivers and a lot of drops and he wasn't getting much time in the pocket, However, Lulay was also throwing behind receivers too often and wasn't using his natural mobility. I was concerned that he was regressing and looked robotic at times, stuck in the pocket, and had a lot of pressure on him to pass our way to success without an effective running game or a committment to it.

Recently we've given Lulay a more balanced offence. Utilziing the running game more often and with a more diversified attack, he's had more time to throw. Play action is also working now. The addition of Arland Bruce added more experience and talen to our receiving corps.

The receiver drops have been greatly reduced but Lulay is also passing the football more accurately.

A quarterback cant' do it all by himself. His offensive line, receivers, and a running game all make a difference. Lulay is also obviously getting more comfortable and confident in his role. The scheme changes and play calling over recent games, have made a big difference for Lulay and our offence.

I really think he's taken the next step over the past few games. I would like to see him step up into the pocket more often rather than taking off right and I would like to see him run the football upfield without that split second hesitation that was not there in the second half of last season.

Otherwise, I think he's doing a very good job. Lulay's pass percentage rating is 58.1, still the lowest in the league and his quarterback efficiency average is seventh now at 89.1 as Jyles is now the starter in Toronto so there is still work ahead for him.

However, both his passing percentage and his quarterback efficiency rating are improving, he's showing the ability to make big plays, and it looks like the positive direction will continue.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Q: What has Lulay impressed you most with?

A: Lulay having to fight his way though the sinking ship of “Chapball” long enough to have Lion fans condemn Jacque’s simplistic design it for what it really was…rubbish.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Simple for me.

Composure under pressure. This is so tough for a young QB. We forget that he doesn't yet have a full season under his belt. We all knew he was a great team player, athletically talented and so on but so was Michael Bishop. What we didn't know and what some QB's never develop is the ability to take what is happening on the field and turn it into something positive. That is the step that Travis seems to have taken in the last few games.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Look like Opie.

Throw like Broadway Joe.
black ace
prospect

The thing that has impressed me the most is that he doesn't look like a rookie. His poise in the pocket is great he knows when to step up and throw and when he should step up and run.

Plays like a veteran.
joe kapp22
Legend

I love the fact that Travis never seems afraid to throw the ball, some Qb's seem to tense up and take the checkdown, not Lulay, he will wing it no matter the situation.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Lions Fan in SK
prospect

I like his confidence and attitude. I think he has come a long ways in a short time and will continue to grow. Last week, radio commentators were commenting on how Travis' stats and Durant's stats over the last few weeks were very similar. My thoughts were that is where it ends and Travis got the "lions" share of integrity and character.
black ace
prospect

I dont think I would trade Lulay for any other QB in the league.