Lions @ Riders, Pre Game Odds and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

The Roughriders can maintain control of their destiny if they can cool off the Lions
The problem with sentences like this is that they don't make sense. Destiny refers to a preordained fate or outcome. It is specifically outside one's ability to control. That's why it's called destiny. It's also nonsense.
joe kapp22
Legend

Well, this is a healthy Lions team, on a streak, facing a somewhat banged up Riders team with a wildly inconsistent Qb.

Think Tim Brown, or one of the Returners, is about due to break a couple in this one.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Yes, the Lions and Riders have dug themselves deep holes but they've been taking the steps to get back on track. I still think its too early to say its Lions/Riders for third place in the West. Yes, thats the current answer to the question but Calgary/Eskimos have not had consistent good play for awhile. Esks looked good in Calgary. Calgary looked good at Commonwealth. Whose to say the bottom doesn't fall out of one of the two and the Riders/Lions keep on winning (other than their remaining matchup).

I will admit in August it certainly looked to me as though third place would be a battle between the Riders/Lions but too much as happened since then. Calgary has trouble winning at home. Esks had lots of injuries to their recievers. Riders gassed their Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator. Lions changed stuff up and brought a vetran Arland Bruce (which I admit worried me at the time but he's proven me wrong).

Theres too much that may go on or could go on. The records so far make it a bit easier for Calgary/Esks but are even the Riders eliminated from hosting a playoff game yet...? Making the playoffs is job one but soon after that the goal becomes hosting a playoff game, I'm guessing.....
Blitz
Team Captain

Well, we have two talented teams in the Ridres and Lions who both got off to terrible starts due to terrible coaching.

Now both talent laden teams are finally having that talent used properly by their respective coaching staffs.

Makes for a great game on Saturday. I think our talent is better. If Chap and Benevedes keep coaching the way they have been over the past few games and Wally can make some game calls that are not from the planet Pluto, I believe we will win.

Looking forward to a great game.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
joe kapp22
Legend

Blitz wrote:Well, we have two talented teams in the Ridres and Lions who both got off to terrible starts due to terrible coaching.

Now both talent laden teams are finally having that talent used properly by their respective coaching staffs.

Makes for a great game on Saturday. I think our talent is better. If Chap and Benevedes keep coaching the way they have been over the past few games and Wally can make some game calls that are not from the planet Pluto, I believe we will win.

Looking forward to a great game.

Same here, this should be a great game, the season does not hinge on it, but both teams will have a better feel for where we are at this late in the yr.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Kind of like "receiving core" :ref:
Real women wear orange!!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:
The Roughriders can maintain control of their destiny if they can cool off the Lions
The problem with sentences like this is that they don't make sense. Destiny refers to a preordained fate or outcome. It is specifically outside one's ability to control. That's why it's called destiny. It's also nonsense.
Hear, hear!

What part of 'unalterably predetermined' do people (and especially sportswriters) not understand? Ah well --it could be worse: this week I've come across the phrase "pass mustard" (presumably an affliction associated with baseball) and "they've got a tough road to hoe". I suppose some of us are destined to pick up on these things and be annoyed.

Cheers,

James
One hears such mixed up phrases so often. It's like deja vu all over again. :wink:

On the subject of destiny, Yogi Berra came up with: "When you come to the fork in the road, take it."

About being on the right path ... On the way to a game, Yogi's teammate said to him: "Yogi, we're on the wrong train." Yogi replied: "Yeah, but we're making great time."
sasklionsfan
Rookie

Its been a while since I posted on here, partially due to me forgetting my username for the longest time XD But I was wondering if there were any other lions fans going to the game Saturday? There usually aren't many there, but its much easier for me to go to a game in Regina, living in Saskatoon, as it is going to Vancouver :P

Also I'm going to predict the score right now: Bc 35 Sask 14 :D
David
Team Captain

Lions4ever wrote:
My favourite misuse of a word in sports is the sportscaster who tells us about a two teams being "deadlocked" in the 2nd inning. A deadlock implies a stalemate, a final result. Impasse. Therefore, it couldn't be a "deadlock" if two teams are still going at it. They are tied.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Anglophone
All Star

It drives me crazy when they say things like "They're showing a great level of compete"

Compete is not a noun!
kacbru
prospect

sasklionsfan wrote:Its been a while since I posted on here, partially due to me forgetting my username for the longest time XD But I was wondering if there were any other lions fans going to the game Saturday? There usually aren't many there, but its much easier for me to go to a game in Regina, living in Saskatoon, as it is going to Vancouver :P

This lion fan is going. Unfortunately, I've left it up to my rider buddies to arrange the tickets, so I'm always fearful that they'll only get 12 tickets for the 13 of us!
Rammer
Team Captain

kacbru wrote:
sasklionsfan wrote:Its been a while since I posted on here, partially due to me forgetting my username for the longest time XD But I was wondering if there were any other lions fans going to the game Saturday? There usually aren't many there, but its much easier for me to go to a game in Regina, living in Saskatoon, as it is going to Vancouver :P

This lion fan is going. Unfortunately, I've left it up to my rider buddies to arrange the tickets, so I'm always fearful that they'll only get 12 tickets for the 13 of us!
Oh I am sure that the Rider fans will find a way to put 13 of you in 12 spots. :cool:
Entertainment value = an all time low
joe kapp22
Legend

murraylp Murray McCormick
Fantuz watch Day 3: No Fantuz to watch. So I would guess sidelined for weekend. Shologan has returned and so has Fraizier. #riders
Well no Fantuz, sort of reminds me of Rick Foley last yr, it took him a couple of weeks to play upon return.

BTW:
News1130Sports News1130 Sports by padre35
Lions have 5 NFL players coming to town next week, receiver, defensive back, defensive lineman, linebacker among the five
Air Lift? Who will be in trouble?

Nick Moore comes to mind.
David
Team Captain

joe kapp22 wrote:
News1130Sports News1130 Sports by padre35
Lions have 5 NFL players coming to town next week, receiver, defensive back, defensive lineman, linebacker among the five
Air Lift? Who will be in trouble?

Nick Moore comes to mind.
I wouldn't read too much into this joe kapp22. It's not uncommon for teams to load up at this time of year as clubs are allowed to expand their roster. Most of these guys will be auditioning for a training camp spot next year, and just because they came from an NFL camp doesn't necessarily mean they're better than what we have here.

I don't think it's any secret that Wally wants more production (and speed) out the extra import receiver spot currently occupied by Nick Moore, but the new guy coming won't crack the starting line-up right away anyway. As we saw with a cagey vet like Arland Bruce, it takes time to learn this offense and fit in, let alone a guy who's brand new to the CFL. Again, most of us here are in agreement, we'd like to see what Jackson/Ianuzzi can do there - at least until Kierrie Johnson returns to the line-up.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar